Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical magnesium wheel patina

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 528 Hemi, Jun 28, 2018.

1. 528 Hemi

528 Hemi

Has anyone found a paint formula that duplicates this patina? Trying to make my wheels look old.

2. I’m guessing an aluminum wheel you want to make look like an old mag?

I guess you could spray it with black/silver/grey spray paint and get the shadows looking ok

But why?

Just buy old mags and keep em dull and dirty
    Magnesium has a knack of dulling quickly and being a pain to keep clean .

Perfect for lazy people like me

chryslerfan55 and craig b blue like this.
  3. If they're real magnesium they will age by themselves, if they're aluminum no matter what you do will look phony.

Mick

bowie likes this.
  4. 528 Hemi

528 Hemi

Makes sense I will buy old wheels

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-6-28_12-24-33.png
    This stuff worked real good on a fake blower housing I put on a SBC dressed up to look like a flathead.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

7. These were done with a gun blueing acid kit, dabbed on with a sponge. They look pretty decent but the owner said he was going to try and add an extra tone to it. FB_IMG_1530216787241.jpg FB_IMG_1530216794879.jpg

chryslerfan55, Baron, ls1yj and 7 others like this.
  8. Swade41

Are those mag wheels that your customer just wanted aged quickly? Or aluminum wheels made to look like mags?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are the new Real Magnesium wheels I'd think that they will age pretty fast anyhow and faster if you set the out in the weather in a secure spot for a while.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

[​IMG]
    This stuff worked real good on a fake blower housing I put on a SBC dressed up to look like a flathead.
    Only you could get away with rattle can Patina & a SBC dressed up flatty....................................

11. Swap meets are usually filled with nasty old wheels that look like crap.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Hose them down with hot water....... ;)

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Next will be a thread on how to wash fake patina wheels. ;)

14. Flat gray base, one eyedropper of silver, two eyedroppers of dark green and make a test spray on something.
    Keep adding drops until you judge it close enough for gub'mint work.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

15. Well we already have a thread on how to wash a barn find.

16. A Boner

A Boner

Tuff crowd.....
    Did falcongeorge change his name?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Jet96, swade41, Chucky and 1 other person like this.
  17. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

There is a graphite spray made by PB blaster I can't remember name but the home depo by me has it. looks pretty good and it's not permanent which depending upon how you look at it could be good or bad. My 2 cents

18. If you want aluminum to look like aged magnesium spray graphite works well. DOW 7 is a whole different deal.

19. junkman8888

junkman8888

Guy on the other side of town built a drag Model "A" Vicky from leftovers, car used a cheap set of aluminum wheels that had been shot-blasted for texture before being powder-coated in titanium, surprising how close they looked to real magnesium wheels.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

Wish he was still around.... :(

21. I'm waiting for some young guy to ask how to make his dick old and withered.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Fresh Dog Piss will do just what the OP is looking for.

23. Those are new aluminum wheels, I guess you can get the gun blueing in different colors. They look pretty good FB_IMG_1530215449774.jpg

24. There's nothing like the real thing.

Hang a moon tank on the front of the car with no lines attached to go with those wheels. Also put a fake don garllits injector over the carb for the complete fake look. Was faking a hot rod done back in the day or is this a new fad?

HunterYJ, scotty t, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This crowd is rough today,,,,,
    You forgot to mention the clear over maybe old paint and that it might be 4 inches higher in the front that one from the 60's,,,
    I like the look,,, get it, the look, of old mag wheels, but they are expensive and brittle.
    We are all trying to get the 'look' of something traditional, cause most of the real traditional cars are gone or have been changed.
    And it is true "There is nothing like the real thing", but then we would be driving black cars with mechanical brakes and under-powered 4 bangers...

26. kursplat

kursplat

not much difference between this and "dry built" show cars that never get fluids so they don't attract dirt. so what, it's his car.
    personally, if it's looks vs works, i'll take works any day

swade41 likes this.
  27. A Boner

A Boner

I think we are discussing wheels that probably cost as much as a set of your spark plugs....that last 9 seconds. None of this makes much sense to a normal person. Everyone does whatever floats their boat. If we all did the same thing, the same way.....I would have bailed from this hobby a long time ago!

28. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Yeah but then you wouldn't be hotrodding would ya.
    If ya like shiny stuff, don't park in a damp garage close to the sea. I have proof.

29. As long as he doesn't lie about it and claim the faux finish wheels are actually the genuine magnesium from the periodic table of elements I don't have a problem with it.

chryslerfan55, Tony, swade41 and 2 others like this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point there. Still I wish for the day when we used to see articles on how to take care of your magnesium wheels and keep them looking sharp rather than the now "hey I want my wheels to look like the neighborhood dogs peed on them, how do i do it when there are no dogs in my hood to help?"

chryslerfan55 and wojojo like this.