Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bob Klessig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

An awesome cat.

2. alchemy

alchemy

This triggered another memory of Bob K. I was at one of my first HAMB Drags and somehow caught a ride with Bob K driving Larry's 40 convert on the poker run, and Earl Schieb in the front seat too. I had a great hand and won a prize that year!

earl schieb and bobwop like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Wish I had the Privilege of meeting Bob . Just on what is posted here on the H.A.M.B must have always been a ride.. The rest of you guys are very Lucky to have known him. I am envious.
    Godspeed.

4. I never had the privilege of meeting Bob K and only knew him through the HAMB. Reading the stories here I can tell he was a man who knew how to live. All of us will reach the end of the road someday but I can't think of a greater honor than to be so fondly remembered by the people you touched. It's also clear to me that not having met him in person was my own loss. My sincerest condolences to friends and family. This is one damned fine thread and a damned fine tribute. RIP, Mr. K.

Special Ed and Thor1 like this.
  5. I just want to thank you for the Bob K. tribute at the top of the page.

flatheadpete and Hank37 like this.
  6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Met Bob some years ago at Detroit Autorama. He had his convert in Chuck Miller's display. I had noticed his cool Chevy and asked about it. We spent a good hour talking about his Chevy and the other cars in the display. We talked like we'd known each other for years... SUCH A SUPER GUY!

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The first time I met Bob was at Back to the Fifties in 2010ish, he was cruising the fairgrounds and I introduced myself and he said, "Nice to meet ya, at this pace we could go get a drink, you want a drink? I might run outta gas before I get to my parking spot!" (Cruising the MN state fairgrounds is slow, to say the least)
    The second time I met Bob was at Bonneville in 2013, he was cruising the pits in his convertible, and he says, "Hey, you're the pinstriper kid travelling across the country with a brush in that old van, aren't ya? You can do a little something on the 'vert if ya want to..." He thought it was pretty neat and I met him a few times after that and he was always very kind and had some quip. He was too blessed to be stressed!

Tim, drdave, trailer-Ed and 2 others like this.
  8. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

pitman, Stogy, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

10. I first met Bob at Bonneville back in 2002, then later at the Hot rod reunion at Bowling Green, the Drive in Movie show in Ohio that Ryan put on, then at the Jalopy Showdown, the Rodders Journal show, seen him in California, Kentucky, well, you know......he was everywhere! Only picture I could find was some of the HAMB cars at Bonneville.

165599_1750204685667_3434386_n.jpg

11. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Bob's cars representing .... 20180628_113232.jpg

3dnsouth, pitman, 1stGrumpy and 9 others like this.
  12. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I commented on the pic on Facebook and was trying to remember your screen name here. DUH!!! I can't believe I didn't realize.

C'mon…. I can't believe there aren't any more stories to tell!!!!!

13. Chris Casny and Stogy like this.
  14. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

BobK and Me at CCR.jpg BobK and me at CCR 3 years ago. Living the dream with my dear friend.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. I met him one time and briefly spoke to him at the Jalopy Showdown in 2007. I Introduced myself and told him who I was on the HAMB. At the time my handle was '59_Elky_427'. He kindly joked about it being a long name for him to remember (or to that effect). So I think he's the one that influenced me to change my handle from a 7 syllable word, to a 3 syllable word. lol. I took this photo before I chatted with him. Nice guy!

Picture 039.jpg

flatheadpete and Stogy like this.
  17. Rckt98

Rckt98

I met Bob briefly at the HAMB meet and greet organised by Denise at Bonneville in 2008.
    Having followed his threads here it is a pleasure to say I have met him.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Met Bob first time at Bonneville in 2004.... I was in on the hotel room deal. We had emailed and chatted on the phone. I had not met him.

At the hotel... as the Sun was setting. A guy was bent over looking for something, damn near crawling into the trunk of the car. I was sure it was Bob, but I did not recognize that end of him. As I stood there Bob said: " are you gonna say something?" I knew then it was Bob... being a smart ass by nature, I said: "I did not know if that was Bob K's ass or not". We laughed and chatted for a while.

flatheadpete, Gotgas, Tim and 2 others like this.
  19. redo32

redo32

Like many on here I never met Bob, but I have enjoyed his postings and especially the Alaska adventure. As I was reading it again this week a member mentioned he met Bob at Bonneville in 1992 and was in the 360 degree picture. Hey wait, is that the year I was there? After futilely racking my brain I decided it was easier to run upstairs to look at the picture hanging on the wall. Yep 1992.
    bonneville 02.jpg
    Is that Bob's convert with a different front end treatment? If so I missed my chance to meet him. That is my Razzberry Primer '48 pickup in the second row.

bonneville 01.jpg

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  20. ford1932low

ford1932low

Knew bob my whole life so many story’s to tell road around in his convertible at the good guys show. The funny Christmas cards he would send every year. Went and visited him at his home. Great man to have in your life.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Stogy, Thor1, SquintBoy and 1 other person like this.
  21. phat rat

phat rat

Redo32, no that's not Bobs convert in the picture at that time he didn't even have it. He would've been driving the sedan 411525563.jpg

Stogy, mctim64 and silent rick like this.
  22. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

Never met him face to face but I bought some parts from him via this board.

I just wanted to say...when i grow up, I want to live my life exactly like BobK did. He sure did it right!

P.S. I think one of the artist types on here should make a sticker in his memory. I'd love to have something like that on my tool box as a daily reminder of how he live his life and how kick ass of a guy he was.

Stogy, pitman, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  23. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

We were at the Autorama that year as well and were on the GM Heritage Center tour, forever thankful to Bob for arranging it.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Great guy! Gonna miss seeing him around. R.I.P. Bob.
    35963674_10216846723747408_5183994138651000832_n.jpg

The Arizona Old Crow and Stogy like this.
  25. I don't think I ever really met Bob - but I know I ran into him at some event. I remember he was driving his Chevy convert. He was jovial, upbeat, and talked with me for minute or two like he had known me for years. I read your post, Ryan, about your last conversation with him - like you said, he was trying to lift your spirits up and get you through it. I think there's a lesson to be learned and a legacy we should all try to aspire to.

RIP Bob and my condolences to your family and friends - I hope I can be as good a man as you when my time comes ....

Saxman, Stogy, Malcolm and 1 other person like this.
  26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Once again, a void left in the Hot Rod community to large to fill,....The landscape of hot rodding continues to change as the years go by,... So long Bob, You'll live on in all the hearts you touched in the journey of life.

SquintBoy, Stogy and pitman like this.
  27. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

This is the first time I've had an opportunity to check this thread having been on a computer free trip to Maine from which I just got back.

I've outlined some of my meetings with Bob on other threads but this one just popped into my head. We were going to B'ville back in 2007 with some friends from Canada and we were stopping over in the Knoxville, Iowa area as the famous Speedweek was under way. We had to see the sprint cars, right? Well, so did Bob and a fellow traveller from, I believe England, he had riding shotgun. We met up because Bob was out on the highway where he was stuck as he had run out of gas! I had never been to that area before, but I was determined to find a container somewhere, fill it with gas and haul it out to Bob. Somehow my wife and I did and out we went. We filled Bob's car up, said see you on the salt and went back to the motel we were staying at. the next morning the container was on the running board of my friend's Model A with a $10 bill tucked inside. Bob said he would see us on the salt. They had left at oh-dark-thirty and didn't want to wake us up. We did meet up in Wendover and yakked for hours.

I'll miss my friend terribly.

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

B:)B was the 2nd person I "met" on the HAMB. Missed out meeting him in person, though. Two quick stories:

Seven years ago, when he was parting out a '53 Buick, I bought the reflectors for my hot rod. The other parts on my car are a blur but when I approach the '34 from the rear, I think of Bob K.

The next year, I thought I wanted to do a custom so I ran it past Bob. I was thinking a chopped '49 Buick or Cad fastback. Bob said that I had picked probably the hardest car to chop and that most that had been chopped were "shitty" (I'm glad Mirko didn't get to read this)! I forged ahead anyway and bought a '49 Buick Sedanet. Well, Bob was right and 2 years later, without getting out the saw, I sold it back to the guy that restored it. Made us both happy.

The older I get, the more I try to live my life the way B:)B signed his name.

RIP B:)B K. You are missed.

Mark

Sent from the red phone

30. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Remembering Bob....