Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A windshield question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rat Woodie, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Rat Woodie

Rat Woodie
    from Texas

Does anyone know the "glass" measurements for the windshield for a 1928-29 Ford Model A Tudor
    Sedan? This is for the windshield glass only not the frame! Thanks, KJ :cool:

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

You want to have the glass cut without your windshield frame sitting there? Why?

Just make a template off your windshield frame. Nothing else will fit correctly.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  3. Rat Woodie

Rat Woodie
    from Texas

So if you order a brand new windshield it won't fit? I'm building a Model A gasser and I want to make a Lexan windshield for it so hopefully someone know the measurements for a stock windshield glass or a 1928-29 Tudor Sedan!

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

made mine with a cardboard cutout of the chopped windshield frame... I suggest you do the same to help fitment and sealing purposes. The ones pre cut are done ok, but fit loose if I am right.

Unkl Ian likes this.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I would try Brattons, 301-829-9880, I know they sell glass for Model A's.

6. Cardboard and scissors.
    Not that hard.

Especially when the curve on the bottom isn't a true radius.

X38 likes this.
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'28-'29 and '30-'31 windshield frames are not the same, pivot brackets, hinge etc...
    don't know about overall size...

8. alchemy

alchemy

The glass is the same on 28-31 closed passenger cars.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Some of the '31 slant windshield frames are chopped from the factory... Vicky...

10. And a pencil.
    Vintage #2.

Sharpies are not traditional.

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. fortynut

fortynut

As old as these cars are, twelve years short the century mark, I have trouble with the idea of a one size fits all. I am building an A, body style open to opportunities, frame in progress. When I reach the windshield state, knowing the original was not safety glass, and assuming through the vagaries of time due to the variations in the measurement by someone now with the angels (hopefully) and the bad day, worse day scenario of assembly line production, I am going to use Masonite. It can be cut large and romanced with files, small grinders, sanders and, of course, by hand power until it fits inside the rubber gasket like it was poured there. I used to know an old truck mechanic in the fifties who went by the name "Bad" Wright. I asked him about his nickname, being a curious teenager. He was about half drunk. "Because I would rather be bad right than bad wrong." I quess we all would. A friend of mine I hung out with in California told me Lockheed, during WWII, had signs in the fabrication area to remind you to: MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE. Another said: CUT TO LENGTH, FILE TO FIT. I have a copy of those in my shop. All HAMBers who fabricate might suggest Ryan do up a sign for our shops with the appropriate art work. Nuff Said.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  12. clem

clem

Model As were made in different factorys, possibly without computers, so the dimensions can vary.
    Even reproduction frames could vary in measurements.
    Hence, the best way is to buy your windshield frame first, trial fit it to your car, then make a template to fit the frame.
    Then cut glass to suit template.

homestead_us likes this.
  13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

14. I had the windshield on my '31 Vicky replaced twice. Just took it to my local glass shop, got it back the next day.
    First replacement was about 100k miles, it was very pocked and scratched. Second one was caused by hitting a Canada goose with the windshield at about 40 mph.

Phil