Register now to get rid of these ads!

Borderline and not so borderline threads...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by X38, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ...and those that are ambiguous.

I was prompted by this thread: LATE 60'S EARLY 70'S TRADITIONAL RODS

Now does this mean HAMB era hot rods built in the late 60's/early 70's or cars traditional to the late 60's/early 70's style?

Mmm. I think a lot of people get confused by thread titles like this and in this case there are lots of typical early 70's cars posted. Not really what the HAMB is about.

Then there is the thread about the first Lodi run, more early 70's stuff. And I noticed a new guy has fond memories of the Lodi and other early 70's runs which are old school and traditional to him...and he wants to post lots of pics.

I guess all that's fine...if this was a 70's rebirth of the hot/street rod site. But it's not. It's about the actual birth and afterglow up to 1965.

Ultimately I am voicing a concern over bracket creep and the thin end of the wedge etc.

They are my thoughts for the day.

The37Kid likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I haven't see the above mentioned threads but I'm a hard line 1965 HAMB cutoff member. To me all the great automotive stuff happened up to and including 1965, no I don't want a Mustang, thank you. Bob

3. I'm not talking about Mustangs or any late model cars, when I say 'cars' I still mean hot rods.;)

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Report it and We’ll editorially review it.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the only trouble is that to me at least, is the hot rods in those late 60's and early seventies threads and show coverage are far more "hamb friendly" than the hot rods posted in modern show coverage that get a pass here with radial tires and weld pro star and centerline wheels. Hell ate least in the early 70's cars were running americans and bias ply tires.... I am not saying lets change the cut off date, I just don't know if deleting those threads and leaving the modern show coverage with awful torque thrust 2's, weld wheels and radials is the right answer.....

Max Gearhead, Jimmy B, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  6. I'm you you, it's a fine line. HRP

Moriarity likes this.
  7. town sedan

town sedan

Actually looked at that thread recently. Thought at first it was a bit ot but found a wealth of inspiration in some of those old photos. I agree with the comment about some of the car show coverage shown on the HAMB.

Like James Evans said on an episode of Good Times, "how can you know where your going if you don't know where you've been?"

-Dave

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Why do we have to make any decisions on such a fine line??
    Hell there are a lot of them here. Just enjoy what you enjoy and smile while you’re enjoying it.

9. kursplat

kursplat

but it's a 64 1/2 :confused:. the only thing i currently have that's HAMB friendly is my body... but, old pics that show where things moved to on the continuum of hot rodding after 65' are to me, a great way to show someone what isn't period correct. especially since so many show cars were "updated" over time to keep up with the latest thing.
    yes it's a fine line, but we need to be careful of mission creep here

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  10. 117harv

117harv

I like all kinds of cars/trucks, as do many members here, but... It seems that when some take pics of a show, they give a total overview of anything they like or see there, many OT rides, or vintage tin that meet the 65 cut-off with in your face OT parts. While I appreciate their effort to take pics and share, they need to just post stuff that fits within the HAMB guide lines. I do this from time to time and add them to an existing thread, I think this works best as it takes a big show to give enough cars to start a new thread, which by the way will get views for a few days and then fade into the HAMB deep dark lost thread hole.

11. bowie and wraymen like this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
    Good quote.

The37Kid likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure KKrod was actually asking for Hamb friendy stuff built post 65 and not stuff that was period 1970...thats what was lost in the translation...much as it is lost in the show and other modern day postings and I for one don't post the 65 and downs that are full of modern wheels and other gizmos. I know that crap or should I respectfully say OT is at cruises and shows...if the car is 65 and down and OT I'll find something on it that works here...

The membership is simply out of touch and as you say it is a tough animal when the group keeps pumping it on...

I posted a members Hotrod just the other Day and it was flamed for being a Ratrod so I pulled it myself...to bad as I believe it was inspired and is a live build thread to this day. The thread is laced with OT material by the same fellas that flamed the ride...ya gotta look up to the sky sometimes.

Hey Moriarity...thanks for your and the others discretion as it is a fine line and a difficult task as we are definately a bunch of hoodlums...but the good far outweighs the bad.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    The37Kid and Moriarity like this.
  14. Exhibit (A):
    [​IMG]

From run coverage.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

These are exactly the kinds of cars that do NOT belong here. anyone who does not know the reason why has no idea what this place is about

flatheadpete and bowie like this.
  16. insinna

insinna

One toke over the line sweet Jesus, one toke over the line....Brewer and Shipley

Sent from my Alcatel 5085C using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Exhibit A, $3,500.00 and a call to Bob Drake, and it is HAMB Friendly. Bob

18. The funny thing (peculiar not ha ha) about lines is when they get walked on or bumped they move. Pretty soon the line is very far away from it's staked and pinned position.

Ever set a row of fence posts, or install a drop ceiling, or lay block off of a line? The first thing that bothers that line will mess up the next one and then the entire job is messed up if it's not corrected immediately. If you want a line you have to protect and respect it.

The37Kid likes this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just wing it most of the time... and do the best I can. Sometimes that is good enough... and other times it really pisses people off. After 22 years, I honestly haven't been able to find the right balance 365 days a year.

It's pretty hard.

20. Id think it's really hard too.
    There's a lot of cool stuff here that does bump the line. Be a sad day if it had to go. The problems arise when everyone thinks the line can be bumped with their junk that might be cool and maybe not. They get pissy because of the denial of acceptance they perceived should be granted because of the already bothered line.

Thanks for all you do.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are several well established threads here that really are not Hot Rod related, but predate Hot Rods, full of great ideas for building one, and packed full of history that can't be found on other sites. All in all everything I like about the hobby is here. Bob

verde742, deadbeat, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  22. Fine line between humor and odor,one is a shift of wit the other is a whiff of S#it. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. What? There's a problem with posting pictures of cars at '70's rod runs but the 2018 LARS is OK?? I'm confused.

24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'm hip to the rules. I love to get involved in some threads by adding photos. Unfortunately, I wasn't
    going to the drag strip in 1954 when I was four years old. My pics start in 1969. I've slowly been
    going through photos I've posted and deleting them. The only safe place for me to post is in specific
    brand threads ("Corvair Photo Thread") or "What Did You See Today".

You guys want to keep this strictly pre-66? No problem, have the mods delete posts that have late
    model trucks and motor homes in the background. "The Melt Down" is is not an old institution,
    it's a relatively late entry into racing series', even if it features so called traditional cars. I dig all
    kind of cars but can live with the H.A.M.B. and it's rules and parameters. The mods can see just
    as well as we can, let them be consistent and deep six all offenders.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think maybe you should stop posting for a while... and just read... We do the best we can as moderators and make mistakes, but for the most part I think this place is pretty well moderated. If that isn't good enough for ya, we can offer you a full refund.

26. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ryan, I'm digging myself into a hole and that isn't intentional. I try to remain respectful to those
    concerned, keep my thoughts in check and language out of the gutter. I'll try to start a reverse trend here.

27. Ok, so someone goes to the NSRA Nationals. But I can't understand why they would post a whole thread littered with cars like this, on this website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How hard is it?

Stogy likes this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

makes no sense to me....

bowie and Stogy like this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah... drives me nuts...

And it takes too long to moderate out the shitty cars... so, we are left with a decision - delete the whole damned thing or let it ride as is? Drives me mad.

X38, bowie and Stogy like this.