Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK to mount slave cylinder upside down?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jun 25, 2018.

1. evintho

evintho

I assume it is, just wanted clarification. '62 Chevy pickup unit into the roadster. Also, what's the port for with the yellow plug in it? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Which way do air bubbles travel? A-Up or B-Down

nunattax, Unkl Ian and dana barlow like this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

No, bleeder needs to be up to bleed air from cylinder. Plug is where fluid line from clutch master screws in body,

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Mount it anyway you want with a bleeder up.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Didn't Ford sell any color much the same way?

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You could mount it as pictured if fitment issues require that. However, as suggested above, bleeding the air out becomes a problem by conventional methods. In that case, you can push fluid into the bleeder valve and through the cylinder and hose back to the master cylinder. For 'reverse bleeding' I use a pump style oil can, dedicated to brake fluid use, a short section of clear tubing, and have had great results anytime I used that method. Crack open the bleeder and pump away.

Ray

scrap metal 48, '51 Norm and pitman like this.
  7. XXL__

XXL__

I've mounted one upside down out of part availability necessity. I jus bled with a clear tube, curled up so I could manage the bleed. No issues... it is on my daily driver and has been that way for 3 years.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Mine is mounted almost exactly as in the pic, line port is horizontal and bleeder pointing down...Works fine..Bubbles will travel up to the MC...

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I won't disagree that it can work upside down. But of all of you that are saying it's OK I have a question. If OP (you've never seen him before) with his car (never car either) was to show up with a clutch problem and he asked you to look at it. Would you give him a hard time and call him out on installing a slave upside down and say there's your problem?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. XXL__

XXL__

Not until I checked it out. Upside down is unusual, and worth investigating ... but not automatically the source of any problem. Debugging a problem is a methodical process... not pointing at the first thing that doesn't look like what you'd expect.

Fordors and Hnstray like this.
  11. I would, but I'm pragmatic.
    I'm Not a mystic or one to organize a zebra hunt because someone sees horse tracks or re invent wheels and learned the hard way not to Argue with physics. I have levitated objects using my mind & sound and static electricity though, and yet even those things two things (sound and static electricity) are available to everyone on the planet nobody has my mind. So I guess it can't be done.

image.png

image.jpeg

image.png

Bleeders go up -
    There's no freaking way the bubbles go down in to the fitting and come back up the line. (Draw it up & As a slave, not a master)
    If the line outlet were on top that be a different story.
    Drill a hole on top (the bottom) and thread it and put a bleeder there.
    Mount it anyway you want with the bleeder up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose you could unbolt it, turn it right-side up, bleed it and re-install.

Or buy one like this:

Slave.jpg

13. XXL__

XXL__

I hear you, but under pressure, bubbles flow just* like fluid. They don't change course and fight their way up stream just because they're bubbles.

14. Draw it up

The same issue with thru frame brake fitting's that give guys fits or brake lines that oh sooooo neatly go in an up and over configuration. Air traps. You have one under your sink too. They work really really well.

Again draw it up

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Exactly the idea I was formulating while reading Vickie’s comment......then I got to yours....and can only offer ‘X2’.......;)

Ray

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    XXL__ likes this.
  16. They drilled it for you, ooooohhh but wait,, there's no need for that silly stuff. Bleeders work upside down

17. XXL__

XXL__

Hey, I've even gotten him to do actual physical work for me before! A few years ago he TIG'd about a dozen pieces of stainless tube together for me that I couldn't bend up because of the complexity. That little gadget is also on my daily driver.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've often thought "do we see upside down?" After all, the back of our eye's are equal to that of negative film in a camera. o_O :confused: :D

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Eureka! A convert! :eek:

Ray

20. Our eyes are amazing doohickeys.
    We see right side up, the brain does the flip and we don't even notice. Unless it's Dot 3 Frobscottle fluid then the bubbles really are going down. Whiz poppers.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    nunattax, dwollam, Johnny Gee and 3 others like this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since I'm I having clutch problems at the moment too, I can say that you Don't need the bleeder. Fill the master cylinder and bleed it from the slave by pumping the slave pushed and pushing the air up into the reservoir.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

seb fontana likes this.
  22. Some mount a little tighter than others; but correct mounting (plumbing and bleeder location) should taken into consideration sooner rather than later. chry slave.jpg olds slave.jpg chev slave.jpg
    PS: if mount the hose directly to the slave; it will probably break off someday.

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At what pressure do the physics regarding air in a fluid change? Boyle's law says that the volume of the gas (bubble) is inversely proportional to the pressure. We pretty much all know that if you pressurize a liquid any bubbles in that liquid will decrease in size, but I've never observed the bubbles changing their behavior relative to gravity.

All that aside, do you want air in your hydraulic clutch or brake system?

24. Makes it impossible to bleed. Otherwise it doesn't care.

Boryca and Special Ed like this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would ‘speculate’ the bubbles are carried out of the chamber (hydraulic cylinder) by the pressurized flow of fluid through the chamber. The bubbles are light weight and have minimal gravitational pull. All I know for sure is, I have had consistent success ‘bleeding’ brakes by pressuring fluid into the cylinder and through the lines toward the M/C. Unless I tried and failed on the subject slave cylinder, I will continue to expect that method to work in this case as well.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Taking a second look at the slave cylinder, it may be possible to mount it ‘right side up’ depending on the bracket configuration and spacing from the bell housing. In that instance, the bleeder would be at the top and outboard (assuming left side mounting) facilitating access to the bleeder valve.

This comment does not negate my prior comments, only came as an afterthought.

Ray

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I rest my case :)

28. What happened to Ray's "high bar" comment.

29. Dennis D

Dennis D

Try this if you have the room. D

Attached Files:

Johnny Gee likes this.
  30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ That's extremely logical therefore to easy and must not be executed.