Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3 in 1 sheet metal machines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I have been searching for a long time for some decent used USA sheet metal equipment, but there just dosen't seem to be much available around here. I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro, and the need to do sheet metal fab is infrequent. But my time in the shop working on my car projects is precious, I don't like to waste my time fixing junk equipment, converting garbage china tools into something usable, etc. Ready to work out of the box is my preference. At Back to the 50's, I tried out Woodward fabs 3 in 1 press brake, shear, slip roll machine. I think something like that might suit my needs. I found this machine at Grizzly, it is supposed to be built to a higher standard that the typical china machine. http://www.grizzly.com/products/42-3-in-1-Sheet-Metal-Machine/T26751Z

Does anyone have any feedback on 3 in one machines in general, and any specific brand recommendations? THanks,
    Joel

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Those machines are similarly sold here by a number of outlets. I believe that they are all made offshore irrespective of colour and brand. They all appear to be generic from the ones I've seen. I'd personally prefer a quality unit however these suit a niche market (Hobbyist) and would most likely be OK. If I was still in a shop I'd go for a quality brand name, something more commercial than hobby. The duty cycle and quality of the brand names should be vastly superior to hobbyist machines.

saltflats likes this.
  3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have a 3 in 1 from Grainger that I bought when they were closing out on them. It works fine for small projects and lighter gauge material. I found that the press brake feature did not bend to 90 degrees so I used a piece of welding rod as a spacer above the blades, it now will bend to about 95 degrees.
    If you can buy one for a reasonable price they are handy to have but you have to realize they have their limits.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  4. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I've been working with the 30" combo from Harbor Freight.
    You can't abuse it but so far I'm pleased for a $320 investment.
    Just realize it's limits.
    Had to make a stand for it.
    20180609_090458.jpg

dana barlow, fauj and Rich S. like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So all 3 functions work fair? Cuts nice? Thanks

6. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

I have the 42 inch 3-1 Grizzly unit with table-mounted on heavy castors with a little extension for stability. Store in corner, roll out when needed. Works very well.

7. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

If your not in a hurry to buy now check out auctions on auction zip in your area , you will be surprised what deals on decent equipment you can get cheap if you don't mind going to auctions . I put together my shop for a 1/4 of what it would cost to buy new.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the harbor freight ones are cheap cast iron and will crack. I bought a rolling table with brake and a corner notcher and one of the HF 3 way metal workers was on there. sold it for 40 bucks.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  9. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

HEY!! you're not the guy that's always bidding against me are you?

10. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Well you just never know . LOL

11. I've got a HF press brake/shear like shown above, and one of the arms broke trying to cut something too thick. Made new ones out of 1/2" thick bar stock, no issues since. If you're cutting steel, 18 gauge is about it for long cuts. It will cut thicker material in shorter lengths, but struggles if you go above about 6". I have found that clamping the material to the table when cutting does help.

A box/pan brake has more utility value and I'd have one if I had anyplace to put it, but if you are willing to fab some bits you can do a lot with a 3-in-1...

12. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I just don't try anything heavy and it's done well.
    Usually fab flat floor panels and patch panels with it.
    It does what I need and doesn't take up a lot of room.

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Maybe I should start by just getting a box pan brake. I can use my Milwaukee handheld power shear for cutting

14. squirrel

squirrel

I got a HF clone of a Beverly Shear. It takes effort to cut a straight line, but it can be done. I also got the 36" straight brake, it works ok for what I've used it for. Being a foot longer would be nice, though. Being a pan/box brake would also be spiffy.

fauj likes this.
  15. Off shore junk,I bought one from HF and spent one day making a stand and the second time I used it a week later it broke!

Even reputable company's sell this same piece under different names.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    samurai mike and fauj like this.
  16. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Anyone have any luck with the woodward fab units?
    Or are they pretty much like HF brands?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just a different paint job.

zman likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ouch!!

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Makes me miss the old made in USA equipment that was built in the 30s/40s. My dad a drill press that used a 4" long wide belt that would drill any thick metal you could throw at it. Worked at a place in the 80s/90s that had a 150 to press built in 1936. Seals weeped a bit but it did it's job.

20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I phoned Shane from Baileigh today. He recommended a magnetic brake over a 3 in 1. So I ordered it, hopefully it will be here by the end of the week. Thanks for all the info, guys.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    saltflats likes this.
  21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

All the 3-in-1's are questionable at best. They may get the job done but are all compromise. I'd say shop farm sales, yard sales, estate sales, craigslist, etc. and pick up some old stuff from back in the day. If you are going to get a 3-in-1 Grizzly's prices aren't bad, but look at Klutch at Northern Tools, same one different color and could be on sale.

22. That's the typical break. Replace those side arms with 1/2" plate steel and problem solved....

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am using my 3 in 1 Harbor Freight unit every day to make my floor pans and firewall for my Morris Minor Gasser. Know the limitations of the tool when you buy something and it will serve you well.
    I bought mine 4 years ago with a 25% off coupon and have been using it for sheet metal and aluminum and it works for me.

Rich S. likes this.
  24. Sorry I'm late in the conversation. A bit of history, the first 3-1 machine was introduced at the WESTEC machine tool show in Los Angeles over 35 years ago, it came from Japan and sold for over $1800.00, it was a smash hit.. ALL 3-1 machines since have been produced in Asia. There are at least 5 Asian manufactures. These machines are compact and kill very little shop space, super easy to operate and can bend, shear and roll very well, just like any multi-purpose tool 3-in-1_group Line-up.jpg they are a "jack of all trades and a master of none". When shopping compare weights and the thickness of the bed.

25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I've built quit a bit of stuff with the HF model. The shear is very limited. The press brake and slip roll work well on mine.

I've recovered my investment, and it is a space mizer, but not a production level tool by any stretch.

26. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Phil, we had one in the model shop over 30 years ago . It was a 42 inch model heavy in weight but had light duty machine. It was a good machine for limited space as our model shop area was small . The roll and finger brake worked good but shear was the weak point. As hotrodprimer showed its weak link. Ours never broke but we kept it well tuned sharp and knew its limits ..

Woodward-Fab - Phil likes this.
  27. Ziggster

Ziggster

I managed to pick up a nice quality metal band saw and a high quality 36" bending break last year for CAN$450 from a commercial company that was moving. Both had been mounted on stands with nice castors, and the saw almost tucks under the break nicely minimizing space. Deals are out there on used equipment if you look and are patient. About the same time there was a quality home built English wheel for sale for CAN$600, but it also was 600 lbs. I now regret not getting it.

continentaljohn likes this.
  28. Rich S.

Rich S.

IMG_2338.JPG Here’s my HF 3 in 1. Made a stand and added a Craftsman box. Keep a lot of my sheet metal tools in there. Made a second handle for it. Ground all the casting seams smooth and tweaked it so it works well. I don’t push its limits. Roll it to the corner when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Woodward-Fab - Phil likes this.
  29. One issue with these compared to a regular pan brake is the inability to make bends less than 90 degrees. Sure, you can cheat it and get something in the 80 degree range but less than that it gets tough and you don't get a nice sharp edge.

One trick you can do if you don't want a sharp edge on your bend is to make up a new 'finger' out of 1/4" steel and weld round rod to the bend edge of it in the radius of your choice. Here's one I whipped up out of scrap at hand...

Radius bend finger.jpg
    This uses 1/2" rod for a 1/4" radius which is the upper limit because of the bend groove width. Smaller than 1/8" radius (1/4" rod) will require tapering the 1/4" steel. This worked better than you might think, a bit of hand tweaking was needed but got it really close. I suspect smaller radius would work better.

And somebody should come up with some inserts that drop into the bend groove to give smaller bends. They could be made with extruded aluminum given the light-duty nature of these, a set that would give you a choice of 15, 30, 45, and 60 degree bends should sell well... I'd buy a set if the cost was reasonable.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Rich S. and saltflats like this.
  30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the big Baileigh 3 in 1 and it serves me well. It is rated to 16 ga but usually 18 is the thickest i use. I can shear, brake and roll 18 ga. by myself with no problem.