Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The '36 Ford is finally on the road

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tic, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Tic

Tic

-
    I haven't been on the board for quite a while and I finally have the '36 Ford in my avatar on the road again. My Father-In-Law gave me the coupe in 1960 (yes, 58 years ago) and this is the 3rd time I have rebuilt it, but the first time I have had the body off the frame. It has a 327/M21 combo in it at this time but started it's hot rod life with a '53 Nailhead Buick and original Ford trans and rear end. It feels great to be driving it again. I included a picture of me with the car after I finished it the first time in 1963. I have steel wheels and Mercury hub caps on order, I just can't decide whether I want to put the 2" whitewalls back on it or not.....

Tic 1936 Ford Finished_03.jpg 1936 Ford Finished_04.jpg 36 Ford_04-3.jpg

2. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see you have the steelies and caps on order. I personally would try the whitewalls. I had a '36 3-window both with and without and when I look at my old pictures, I really prefer it with.

4. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Love that blue! Bigs and littles would hep make the stance a little more aggressive

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Beautiful car! I agree on the wheel/tire combo, the tires have too aggressive a tread, look like a truck tire and the wheels are a bit dated {says the guy who has pretty much the same wheels on his car and can't wait until he can afford to get something different}.:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hard to beat a '36 Ford.

Latigo likes this.
  8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

White walls and hub caps are meant for each other.

9. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Good looking car!

10. Tic

Tic

Thanks for the replies guys. It does have big and littles on it, it's just hard to tell sitting in the grass. This pic shows them a little better.

Tic 1936 Ford Finished_01.jpg

VANDENPLAS, reagen, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  11. roger didonato

roger didonato

Beautiful! I'm still trying to decide n a color for my 36 ford Ute coupe.

12. Steve '36 5W Cp

Steve '36 5W Cp

I forgot now nice that Blue was. I painted my high school '36 that same color back in 1970. Had to leave it in Riverside, CA when I got shipped overseas. Bought another '36 a few months ago, but this time I think I will go with Washington Blue.

PS How do I add a picture to my profile?

13. Very nice coupe. As a 36 owner, I like steel wheels with wide whites, rings and caps.

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very nice. Steelies and caps will be a great upgrade. I like how the tires fill the wheelwells better in the '63 pic. Car looks lower then too.
    I'd consider lowering it a couple/three inches too once the new rolling stock is fitted.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Beautiful car, cool that you've had it that long. I would definitely run the whitewalls, as close to that original picture you have as you can make it.

16. sololobo

sololobo

17. I’m also curious about the story of your father-in-law giving you the car. Why can’t my father-in-law give me a 36 Ford. Sure mine gave me something that runs hot and is loud, but we call her Anna. And she would kill me if she knew I just typed that. Ha.

VANDENPLAS and Wanderlust like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I think your black and white pic says it all:cool:

19. Tic

Tic

It was parked in the corn crib out at the farm before the wife and I were married. I tried to buy it off of him but he wouldn't sell it because of the mechanical brakes. He had trouble with them before he stopped driving it and bought a new '50 Chevy 2dr Sedan. I told him that the hydraulic brake system off of a '39/'40 Ford would fit on it and would make it stop like a new car. I had access to a complete system and I asked him if I could install it on the '36. He didn't have a problem with that so I installed the hyd setup and showed him how well it stopped and he gave me the car on the spot..... The rest is history, I still have the car (58 years) and the wife (54 years) later.

On another note I also have another set of the Chrysler wheels like I have on the '39 Ford Coupe I could use on it.
    Chrysler Rallye.JPG

VANDENPLAS and AHotRod like this.
  20. Latigo

Latigo

Nice ride! Like the color. I recognize the central Iowa landscape. I was raised in farm country. My '36 is a Plymouth Dad and I brought home in 1964. Guess we Iowa guys hang on to them for a spell.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Looking good Leon! Maybe I’ll see you next weekend.

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Leon it turned out awesome, an amazing story.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Tic

Tic

Thanks Glenn. Wife and I have a lot of fun driving it. Ownership is now at 61 years this June and I still have the same wife too.... :)

VANDENPLAS, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  24. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Great story and cool car ,I bet the old dude was happy to see his old car back on the road and out of the corn crib all them years ago ,if he could only see it now wow

25. Mark Merritt

Mark Merritt

Sweet ride, like the color.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Greg Hammond

Greg Hammond

27. ol48

ol48

28. D96D4A70-FB32-4B5F-B56E-61503C9D44A1.jpeg

another good Iowa boy approves of your car!!!

chsnge the wheels, with the paint you have white walls will give it a classy look, black will be more aggressive, either way , she’s perfect !!!

Maicobreako likes this.