Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Scammer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phat rat, Jun 19, 2018.

1. phat rat

phat rat

Usually with Craigslist ads I have I don't reply to "is it for sale yet" but today I screwed up and did. The ad is for the 40 sedan I posted here yesterday and the same pictures are on Craigslist. It reads as follows

By no means a cherry body but lots of good parts. It has a current matching numbers Mi. title. If it hasn't sold by the time I have time I'll start parting it out. I wish the rest of the body was as good as the frt fenders and hood.

Here's his reply
    I am cool with the price but I am not local. I am buying within your city because its cheaper for me but I will arrange for a pickup with AGS freight commpany as soon as you receive the payment,I will also add extra fee to the payment so you can pay them on my behalf. I want you to assure me is in very good condition. Do you have PayPal account for the payment?

They are still using the old scam of sending more money to pay the shipper for them

This is my reply to him
    No I don't have Paypal. Maybe the shipper does and you can give him the money to give me when he picks the car up. The car is in excellent shape and I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it around. I just realized that I left a zero off the price and it's really $17,500 which is a real deal for such a fine car. So sorry for the mistake but I'm sure you understand and will still be buying it

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Cant wait to see if he bites on that.

3. The next time a scammer sends a bad certified check for parts. I'm going to box up alot of dog shit and send it to them.

4. lilmann

lilmann

Wait....you’ve had one of those shit bags actually send a bad check..??...oh the fun we could have!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas Webb and INVISIBLEKID like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Kangaroo shit works better as it looks like licorice lollies.

54vicky, NoSurf, jrbunch and 3 others like this.
  7. phat rat

phat rat

I got this back from him this morning.

Okay but the shipping company always want their fund to come from the seller for the to be permit for the pickup and sorry paypal is the only way i can pay you because it link to my bank account, PayPal is very fast and secure for online transaction, besides i'm paying upfront before any arrangement for pickup. you can simply log on to their websitewww.PayPal.com to start up with them,it should not take you up to 5 minutes. Let me know once you got it setup so that i can proceed with the payment..OK?

This is my reply
    I tried but can't seem to get signed up. You could go to a Walmart store and buy some gift cards and send them. Not sure what shipping will cost you but $25,000 in gift cards should cover cost of such a find automobile and it's shipping. If there's any left over I could send it back if so inclined. Let me know if this can work for you as I have another person who's very interested and he's willing to do this

Thor1, 54vicky, NoSurf and 3 others like this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my 2 cents: Since he offers to pay by paypal I doubt he is a scammer... Paypal is very safe . It is just like paying by credit card. And the fees are on him. Western Union or checks smell fishy... I always pay stuff from the US and pay by paypal or Visa, I´ve never been scammed... Not trying to be a smartass, but maybe you are chasing away a potiential buyer...

neatoldclassics likes this.
  9. phat rat

phat rat

here's a link to my ad.
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/d/1940-ford-deluxe-2dr-sedan/6621429857.html
    You tell me after reading that ad if you would ask for assurance that the car is in very good condition. Also he never said a word about the price going from $1750 to $17,500 or that he would enjoy driving around in such an excellent car

54vicky and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. belair

belair

11. Absolutely another scammer. Don’t think for a minute these turds don’t use legitimate payment transfer sites like PayPay. They do.

54vicky likes this.
  12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Paypal is not that safe. Too many other red flags... SCAMMER!

Enjoy the hunt OP.

jrbunch likes this.
  13. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I have a friend that actually goes scammer hunting. He'll purposely put stuff on Craigslist to entice scammers to try to contact him. He will then tell them to send money orders or checks made out the Prince Bigus Dickus or some other made up name and gets the scammers all fired up. I guess he has more time on his hands but has fun with them.

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, you are 100% right... that's a scam. ...

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Nice car and a great price though. If I were closer and hadn't spent all my money I'd be all over it.

Terrible80 likes this.
  16. LOL I know a guy who shall remain anonymous who sent a guy a pound of Kansas Ditch weed packed in Folgers and dropped a dime on him. It went to a Texas and ditch weed is 7 years just like good dope.

Note: I cannot condone this practice.

mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

17. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

The scammers have or had a fake Pay Pal site. They pulled it on me several years ago. The actual Pay Pal fraud unit said they do it all the time. They referred to Russia. It looked very real, but if you read it you could tell from the poor English.. I was told they could wipe out my bank account if I fell for it.

jrbunch likes this.
  18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

419eater.com is a fun site if you have some time to spend and a scammer to mess with.

19. Send him an email telling him that the shipper can drive it back, it's that complete!

20. phat rat

phat rat

He hasn't responded since I asked for $25,000 in Walmart gift cards

kidcampbell71, patmanta and Baumi like this.
  21. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

When I sell stuff on craigslist I just don't reply to any call or text if the area code doesn't match mine.

Every once in awhile I'll jack with them. Sometimes I'll look up and address in the area code they are texting from and locate and address to a area bar, library, etc and tell them I just happen to be in their town and can meet them and give them a valid address to meet at. Or, when they ask for name and address to "send the money to I make something up;
    Phil McKraken
    6969 South 3rd St
    somemadeupname, OH 65982

or something like that.

Damn scammers are a drag

22. Al

Al
    from Duluth, Mn

Had that happen years ago, and I bought it. Told the guy I wanted to see the money first. He sent a check threw some third party check company. It wasn't his name as the signer. He said that is just how the company worked. I was asking $9600 for the car, and he sent $21,000. I called the signer. Turns out he is a big time Lawyer from Texas. He Didn't send the money, but it was his account. He went after the guy. The Lawyer told me it ended up as some kid working at a Hilton in Ill. The Lawyer had stayed there, and used his credit card, and the kid took it from there. The Lawyer told me that if I would have gone to bank to cash the check. I would have been arrested for check theft. I would have already signed the title of the car over to this kid, so it would be win win for him, and I would be doing jail time and paying back the $21,000+ for the check theft. Oh, and the Lawyer didn't want to buy my car. He does still stay in touch though..

23. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

some fake checks I've received. I enjoy stringing them along. 20180621_081948.jpg 20180621_082002.jpg 20180621_082017.jpg

49ratfink and racer-x like this.
  24. fuzzface

fuzzface

I use cl quite a bit and get my share. I usually have in my ad best to text first and I go on from there. if I get a text with a generic description I usually do nothing but if they send a text and seem to know what item I am selling I answer back.

I had one last summer that insisted that it was totally ok to accept a certified check and that he would send someone after it was paid for. I kept insisting that I will only accept cash at time of pickup, send cash with them. Anyways back and forth and I thought it was over when I quit answering him but his second last message was he was sending the check fedex and they would be there tomorrow.

Sure enough couldn't believe it! Next day Fedex truck pulled in and he had an envelope for me to sign for. I refused and the driver needed a reason to put on it. I just said I never ordered from that person and I just walked away from the fedex truck. he sat in my yard a little while while he was texting into his machine and as he was pulling out of my driveway I received a text from the scammer why I didn't take the check that was just delivered. never answered him back. I told him enough times that I only accept cash at time of pickup. Kind of shocked me that he knew right away I turned down his check.

49ratfink likes this.
  25. phat rat

phat rat

The problem is that not every call like that is a scammer. I've bought things off Craigslist from over 1500 mi away. But I've also run into guys like yourself who refuse to deal with anyone not local. I always offer a seller the choice of payment, Paypal or USPS money order.

ratrodrodder and neatoldclassics like this.
  26. fuzzface

fuzzface

I was another one at one time that didn't respond to area codes out of my area but after thinking it over realized people don't change numbers anymore when they move using cell phones. my step daughter cell phone number is still the same Wisconsin area code even though she lived in N.J for 7 years and Tx. before that.

Found out after answering how many are actually local (well at least within driving distance) but doesn't look like it. Or like last week, I had a guy from Fl. over here buying an item that just happened to be here in Wi. for a funeral and decided to see what was on cl in this area before heading back home. I also picked up a few buyers from the northern parts of ill. that are willing to travel up here.

ratrodrodder and neatoldclassics like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Paypal is not safe for sellers. the fact that so many people seem to think this is true is amazing. paypal is only safe for BUYERS because it is easy for buyers to get a refund for any reason.

williebill and Baumi like this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet I have bought and sold 40 cars and motorcycles in my life. I always buy and sell the same way. cash and carry. never had anyone try and argue about the payment method, but if I did get grief from some idiot buyer about paying cash that would be the end of the conversation.

Irish Mike and porknbeaner like this.
  29. 5window

5window

Cute, but I have way too little time in my life to mess with scammers. Once identified, they're gone in my book. Good luck to you.