Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Colored Car Show Fliers and Stained Vinyl Seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, Jun 17, 2018.

1. I'm pissed off beyond comparison. Was at the Father's Day Car Show in my home town of Yutan, NE today and some asshat left a colored-paper show flier on my vinyl seat during the awards ceremony. A brief rainstorm hit (top was down on my convertible and won't go up) and when I got back to my car the seat (pearl beige vinyl from NOS materials) was STAINED PURPLE from the wet paper. I immediately threw the flier out of the car (didn't get the name of the event/sponsor, stupid me) and got out everything I had in the car - Bleche-White, Simple Green wipes, Magic Eraser. Even went to my mother's house a few blocks away to get some bleach to try and pull the stuff up. Got most of it off but there's still a light stain in the vinyl. Any suggestions on how to get it out short of redying the seat or finding out who put the flier there so I can wring their necks? (BTW, if you're going to make a show flier and leave it in a car, try not to use colored paper.)

And to top it off I had the tread come off one of my rear wheels getting home (but it didn't blow out, thankfully, and I made it home ok). Not my best Father's Day experience.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Life's a bitch. Then you die ….

mkebaird, Montana1, slv63 and 6 others like this.
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Did you throw the flier on the ground or did you use a trash can? Just curious.

Cosmo49, Irish Mike, slv63 and 7 others like this.
  4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We used to do colored fliers for out show. Always made sure they went to the floor or in the trunk. Usually just handed them to the owners. Watching this thread, I have 2 cars with white seats!

SPark

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

45 years of going to car shows, and showing mine, I've never seen or heard of this. Of course, I
    didn't have a ragtop with an inoperable top caught in a downpour. Is someone really at fault?
    Leaving flyers is an accepted and usually welcome practice.

6. catdad49

catdad49

Stop by the local upholstery shop, maybe they can help.

lothiandon1940 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  7. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Go buy some white vinyl spray and touch it up. When your sitting on it no one will notice it.

8. BJR

BJR

If I had a new/nice interior, I would make damn sure my top worked if I was going to drive it very far from home.

egads likes this.
  9. X2

10. philo426

philo426

Around here,fliers are usually placed under the wipers.I am sure that the flyer placer did not have malicious intent and if it did not get wet than no harm would have been done.Still,good heads up for those who put on car shows.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dollar store product called "Awesome". Cleans anything but a dirty mind.

I'd pile on and say fix your top but not until you get the stain off. All fun and games until...

12. This has been brought up before. I'm sure the thread is floating around somewhere. It got pretty heated if I recall. Maybe someone can search it out and link it to this thread. I'm not fond of the practice of tossing fliers in cars although I've never had the bad luck to have one stain my seat. I usually double back to my car a few times during the day and find them scattered all over the place. Frankly, I think it's a bad habit. Put the damn things in a stack at the registration table with a rock on top of them and let folks take the ones that might interest them. I most often toss them in the trash and it wastes their printing costs. And regarding the previous post about tossing them on the floor, carpet can get stained as well.:mad:

13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have probably set the stain forever now. Next time you might consult an upholstery shop before you try all the "maybe" stuff.

They might have some sort of stuff you can use to protect your new seat covers when you get them.

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Stuffing fliers under wiper arms is worse. I don't want anyone touching my w/s wiper arms. I lifted the drivers wiper arm on my 63 Impala just about enough to get a cloth under it to clean the windshield and heard a loud bang. The tension spring which holds the wiper against the windshield which is about 2" long became disconnected from its locking pin. It obviously was never installed properly during the manufacturing process. Trust me when I tell you that spring is some kind of strong and a real PITA to install. It took two men a boy a to install it correctly. I better not see anyone messing with my wiper arms.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  15. 2935ford

2935ford

Pretty much out of your control when going to car shows and leaving your car unattended.
    Those folks handing out fliers are probably not car folks and do not realize that things like this can happen.
    No need to get on him about a nonop top. Lots of roadsters with tops down at shows all he time. They will put the fliers inside anyway.
    Best thing is to let the show organizers know you do not appreciate flier throwers! :)

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Look, do not touch. Keep your kids off/out. Don't lift the hood, wipers, crying kid doll, have respect.
    In a stack, under a rock, digital even better.
    Were the ones stuck in the era of bitchen cars. They should be more modern.

17. 41woodie

41woodie

Had a similar situation with the woodie. NSRA giveaway ticket laying on the wool insert in the back seat. #1 grandson left a cup close by that "sweated" on the ticket leaving a nice sized pink stain. I tried several things to get the stain out then tried this:
    1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
    3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
    couple tablespoons of baking soda.
    Scrub on with a scrubbing brush
    It worked like a charm, no trace left

pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That sucks. Goop Off ink and marker says safe on some vinyls, test first. At least it wasn't brown paper.:eek:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. philo426

philo426

Well might be necessary to get the word out that fliers are not to be placed on the show cars anywhere!

20. dan31

dan31

try spray 9 and a medium stiff brush ,don't go crazy with the brush. It get gets fish blood ,boat fender scuff marks off of white boat interiors no problem.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm with the guys who say keep your fliers, don't hand them to me or put them anywhere in or on my car.

22. rjones35

rjones35

This is why I don't have nice things.

pat59, Kan Kustom, Irish Mike and 2 others like this.
  23. I happened to us with the Ranch Wagon,several fliers were left on the white front seat and the color bled on the seat, I too was wound up like a cheap watch.

Most of the people dropping fliers at local car shows are trying to drum up money for their charity or cause and don't have a clue as to drop it in the floor.

I tried all kinds of cleaners but there was still a light stain, Brenda finally tried a magic eraser and low and behold the stain was gone. HRP

46international likes this.
  24. Yeah, somehow, bringing the car to a show, paying the promoter for it to be part of the entertainment, I feel they should keep the eff off/out of my car.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  25. Ugh....
    sorry this happened, my suggestions are

1.Avoid using bleach or chlorine products on polyvinylchloride PVC/Vinyl - may cause yellowing later.

2.might try "Blue Magic Carpet stain and spot lifter" - at Walmart ---try a real small inconspicuous area first

3.Maybe a series of warm soaks with a washcloth saturated with 21 Mule Team borax might get it out, main idea is -don't think every stain is: instant wipe and clean.

4.The car is still better than it was when you found it, price out having the seat re-done if it is bugging you. Not the biggest indignity this great car has seen in its long life

26. philo426

philo426

Sigmificant damage issue.Might have to ban the high vis coloed fliers!

27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Totally Awesome" it can be pretty aggressive stuff....try a small spot first. It will take varnish off a carburetor.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've heard of this product...Teenagers seem to promote it.

Was there ever a similar one called, "Far-out"?

Seriously, I'm picking up some 'Totally Awesome' tomorrow. Thanks!

29. Better keep your windows rolled up and the top up until its becomes common practice to NOT throw this trash in people's cars. I agree, put the things on a table for people who want them to take one. Once you read it, you throw it away anyway.

30. 6-71

6-71

I bring them home and put them on the garage clipboard.the back side of them makes good note paper