Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Should I knock on the door?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack68gts, May 15, 2018.

1. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

leave us hangin like that ,someone stick a firecracker in his ass.

54EARL and F&J like this.
  2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

If nothing else, give me the address and I'll do the knocking. Someone has to do it, it has to be done at this point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. BJR

BJR

I PMed the OP and here is his reply: stopped a few times, nobody answers, am going to try again this weekend, maybe this time leave the dreaded "interested in selling?" note on the door

czuch and Stogy like this.
  4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I already tried, he doesn't want to sell it. Says the next guy to stop and ask about it he's going to put him in the well and have him "put the lotion on."

BAD ROD and czuch like this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Sounds like another buffalo Bob...... :confused:o_O:D:rolleyes:

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Hoax!

czuch likes this.
  7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Its not stalking, if you have a camera...

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old land lord had his Moms 51 chevy coupe sitting in a garage for years . My Dad asked him about the car several times , always no not for sale . Pulled in one day to do field work the car was gone . Couple strangers stopped in asked about the car , he sold it to them . So you never know

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

So, WTF?
    This isn't a fun story, I want my money back.................

greaser, Petejoe and saltflats like this.
  10. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I always stop. I've bought several cars everyone said can't be bought that way. You've got a common interest to carry the conversation. Don't be pushy. Expect multiple visits but you might be plesantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. WTF really

WTF really

Hello hello hello is there anybody in there?

Thor1 and 48fordnut like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Approach it with the attitude that you are also a hot rod guy. You'll know if he has plans for it. The fact that it is tarped tells me the guy is trying to preserve it,so I would be inclined to say it's not for sale. I bought a 32 Ford one time from an old lady that everyone in town had been trying to buy. She liked me and made a decision that day to sell.

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, maybe we talked him into actually going back and knocking on the door and he got shot !! :eek:

clem and WTF really like this.
  14. WTF really

WTF really

Either that or the person wanted so much for it he can't afford internet anymore.

15. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone at home?

WTF really likes this.
  16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

He made 3 posts on this thread and he has never said another word anywhere else in the forum. Just sitting back watching everyone squirm.

This just proves it didn't happen even if there ARE pictures!

SPark

clem and WTF really like this.
  17. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Didn' want it enough if he didn't knock right away. I missed out on a chopped model a sedan body because I drug my feet. Drove by it for a few months at work then it disappeared. Met the owner a year or two later and asked him about it. His reply... should of just stopped by, I would have just gave it to you..

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Working a post takes some effort and some don't work it and perhaps he rethought even being a member here.

Interaction here is overwhelming to some as it is a new and different environment.

Of course from the standpoint of whats under the tarp will probably remain a mystery and all the communication has been a loss but may help someone down the road.

So yes its frustrating.

19. Possibly it is already his and he is watching people's reactions.

clem likes this.
  20. Turk39

Turk39

image.jpeg Doesn't hurt this is what I got for asking

kidcampbell71, Stogy, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  21. sawzall

sawzall

\

similar story..

I local guy has a car I would really like to own.. I visit, he shares a little with me, I visit again, he shares some more stories.. shows me MORE of his collection.. one more visit and I think i have seen everything..

next thing I know he passes away.. and Its likely everything will go to auction..

clem likes this.
  22. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Grow some balls and ask. Or post the address for us

23. ...used to drive by a Model A coupe in a distant town where my folks are buried, never stopped to ask as I figured "it's not for sale' as long as it sat there.
    My wife talked me into stopping and asking about it, very friendly 80 year old lady says "yup, it's for sale"...bought it for a very reasonable price...you just never know unless you ask.
    30 A coupe 002.jpg 30 A coupe 003.jpg 30 A coupe 007.jpg 30 A coupe 011.jpg

Surfcityrocker, F&J, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. 27Tudor

27Tudor

I was on my way back from the dump and went a different way home cuz I need to hit Home Depot. Remembered a house on the way that had a big old sedan sitting out front as long as I can remember. So I stopped by and knocked but no answer. Will try again another time. Not sure what it is but it's a big 4 door sedan.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Jack68gts

Jack68gts

Ok all,,i stopped,,,i knocked,,,the owner wasnt home, but his wife was. She said the car was his high school car,,and he had it before thhey were married. They just had thier 54th wedding anniversary, and she said he built that car in high school. Its the real deal,,,she hates it, and hated riding in it, she said it was too loud and bumpy. Lots of guys have stopped to try and buy it, but he has no interest in selling,,,,,yet. She would love to see it gone, he is too old and lacks the health to restore it, but he has owned it for 55 years, and cant part with it. She said he would love telling me about it, and has lots of stories. I am going to meet with him, and toss the idea of doing a partnership in restoring it, and get him behind the wheel again. Sorry for the delay, i have too many irons in the fire,,but will try to get back this week

26. Thanks, Jack! Keep at it. It took me several months of haggling with my friend before I was able to buy the body in the avatar but it didn't look like this at that time!

Stogy and Jack68gts like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get some pics Jack...thanks for the update...we've been doin some pondering while you were out...:D...seriously good luck your half way there already...;)

Jack68gts likes this.
  28. scotts52

scotts52

Yes! Putting others first will pay off in dividends. Maybe not this one but I can almost guarantee that you helping him get it back on the road will give you something more valuable than what you can buy.

Sancho, Jack68gts and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting by the conversation it was a Hotrod and not a strip car really look forward to seeing it. This may again work out well for Jack. I don't think he should show the fella this thread however...:D

Jack68gts likes this.
  30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

As someone who has been on both sides of this, if you remove the cover please put it back the same
    way as you found it. I have a 50 chevy that has been in the parts gathering stage, covered with a tarp.
    I cannot tell you how many times I came home to find someone unhooked the tarp to look at it and
    left it loose. Pissed me off and even if I would sell it would not sell it to them.

lurker mick likes this.