Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***June 2018 Banger Meet - What's New With Your Banger?***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 31, 2018.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. 5280A2

5280A2

According to Jim Brierly's cam list Model A springs will yield 62 lbs. of seat pressure at an installed height of 2-1/8 inches. Hold one of your valves on the seat with the spring retainer installed on the valve stem and measure from the roof of the valve chamber or the bottom side of the flange on flanged valve guides to determine the installed height with no spacers. Then figure the spacer height needed to have the installed spring compressed to 2-1/8 inches.

Dannerr likes this.
  3. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Thanks, I must have missed that in his book

4. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

Help! Having problems finding a top water hose, 33-36 V8 water pump and stock B ratiator, slight increase in diameter and slight bend. What do you guys use? Thanks!

5. Jukenut13

Jukenut13

Hi, I fitted a V8 pump to my '30 4 banger and used a Gates 26503, 44mm and 51mm each end by 254mm long .This is a ribbed hose and fitted perfect. Hope this helps. Ron

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Dannerr likes this.
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Dannerr likes this.
  7. Howdy all! Had a quick questions regarding bangers. First off, I have this F3 head, it's similiar to the Model B head. 4.6:1 and requires a b pump. What could I get for it? Also, I have no clue when it comes to creating distributors for bangers. I had a friend somehow shave down an old mag from a tractor and it worked on his banger, would this Bosch 0231150003JFU4 work if I milled down the sides and changed the gear?
    00B0B_1muPpJM6pRg_1200x900.jpg 00S0S_2enzbqVbw5n_1200x900.jpg 35076954_10211870413665065_6243857136611229696_n.jpg

8. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

Anyone able to help with this maybe? It's a 1930 coupe, I put in an updated version of points from nu-Rex. With the key on or off I have power to the driver side of the coil, it doesn't matter if the points are open or closed either.

Attached Files:

9. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Check for grounds or shorts. That alligator clip to the radiator rod is not a good ground should be to the frame or at least to a head bolt.

Also I have been dumb enough to not wire the condenser properly, replaced five of then before I double checked and found out that I had it connected to the positive not the negative side. My 32 distributor also had a short between the points arm and the upper plate.

winduptoy likes this.
  10. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Is the wiring original? With an original set up the ignition switch was wired between the coil and the points. not on the power supply to the coil. hope this helps. also check for shorts like above.

winduptoy likes this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Throw Back Hot Rod Designs or @fourspd2quad here on the HAMB made the timing gear cover.
    @rockman29 supplied the front cover. I don't think he has any more.

Dannerr likes this.
  12. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I think I found my issue, my lower distributor plate was broken and contacting the distributor housing.

Attached Files:

Jet96, winduptoy, MJW and 2 others like this.
  13. It isn't on the flyer...But a word to the wise: If you want to come to the event, enjoy the BBQ Friday at the SLO Elks Club and avoid a lot of wasted time; REGISTER EARLY (before you come)!
    FAST2018.jpg.jpeg

ROCKER77 and winduptoy like this.
  14. ranch1.jpg ranch2.jpg FASTSM-9.jpg FAST2013-6.jpg Santa Margarita Time Trials
    "Be there, or Be Square!"

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I was able to drive my coupe today for the first time around the block. It seems to be running out of fuel though as if the pump isn't pumping enough. I'm running the airtex e8902 pump and a Holley regulator set to 3.5 and also tried it at 4lbs. After accelerating the regulator gauge drops to 0 and the car dies. My starter went out as well after pushing the car home lol it doesn't engage just spins.

For those who were helping me figure out my short, it ended up being the ignition wire that runs to the distributor. They had spliced it twice and just twisted the wires together.

Attached Files:

17. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m looking at your picture and can’t figure out what’s going on with the fuel lines...looks like your fuel line is coming straight out of the glass fuel bowl, straight into the carb. If so, and you are low on fuel, you may just not have enough gravity feed pressure to keep it running on acceleration.

18. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless your running an other than stock fuel tank.

19. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

The line goes under the car to the pump, then up through the regulator and out to the bowl like normal.

20. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have you taken your undertank fuel shutoff valve off...your fuel screen may be fouled or plugged.

21. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I have, I have a good flow out of the tank. The pump pumps up to 3.5/4psi to the carb until I apply a load to the engine the pump seems like it doesn't keep up and it drops to 0 psi.

22. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EE68DB7A-0510-47B9-9227-8838DE0F0358.jpeg Man...stumped...I have nearly an identicle arrangement and only run 2 psi, with no issues. The only real difference I can see is I don’t use the glass fuel bowl. Either way, there most likely has a fuel restriction somewhere...check inside the rubber fuel hoses where the push onto any metal fuel line that has been sawed or chopped off to make sure you have no flappers inside the rubber hose.

burl, Dannerr and fine29 like this.
  23. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I wonder if the fuel wasn't boiling in the rubber lines maybe. At the moment the header dumps in front of the pump. (About 10 inches away.) everything was kind of warm though.

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

do you have a good fuel pressure test gauge ? I tried 4 holley regulators that were not working correctly . I have a very good pressure gauge . I ended up buying a cheap chrome dial regulator from auto zone & set it with my gauge . has worked well for several years now . mine is a daily driver .

Dannerr and fine29 like this.
  25. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I do not but I can get one and check it out. Thanks.

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

just some of my experiences

fine29 likes this.
  27. low down A

low down A

that sounds like fuel pump maybe bad, ive never had a pump go bad that the car wouldn't run sittin still you could rev them up and sound good put them in gear and go for a ride and they would hardly pull there self

fine29 and Dannerr like this.
  28. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

I planned to bypass the regulator tonight after work and see what pressure I get. Should I stick with the 2-5lb pump or go with the 5-8lb and regulate it down? The carb is a Holley 94.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

stay with low pressure unless you need more . I would put pressure gauge directly on your pump , then go from there . mr gasket makes a nice pump that has low pressure .

Dannerr and fine29 like this.
  30. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

It looks like you are running a line from the pump to the sediment bowl. If you are it's not designed to take any pressure, just gravity. It may fail catastrophically and spray gas all over.
    If you don't have a filter before the pump you may have killed it or pumped crap into the carb. If you don't have one put one before the pump. If you do it may be clogged so it may not have enough flow to the pump.

The 94 can't take more than 2psi generally before it leaks.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.