Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Yeah, that’s why I’m so stumped. I just walked out the the car, and the fuel filter is completely full again. It’s gotta be a temperature issue, right?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Fuel filter will probably only be full while cruising . Full fuel filter isn’t the issue. Carb bowl must stay full . A return line will help a ton , and a new pump are where I would spend my money first .

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If you are uninformed what is circled in the photo is the choke pull off , the choke is held in wide open position with the wire tie .

4. return line and some carb insulator makes a world of sense for sure. At those temps you mention it would stand to reason that the gas is boiling. How is the timing of the engine set up? Maybe check that as well. Can often cause additional heat issues.

5. Terrible80

Terrible80

You can get an inline filter with return line for about $5.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Right, finally got the figured out. My dad is convinced it has something to do with regulating fuel pressure in the carb, but I thought it was strictly for choke. Any idea?

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Sadly, I’ve never checked the timing. The car has always started and run great, minus the vapor lock. I’ve got a timing light, I’ll see about checking that out.

8. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I was looking at those this morning. I’d really like one that is see through but I couldn’t find any. Any problem with running two filters in a row?

9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

This is gonna sound ultra lazy, but just thought I’d check before replacing the fuel pump; is there some way to make my own return line?

11. Terrible80

Terrible80

Buy the mentioned filter and run a line back to tank.

12. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I want to do that, but I really want a clear filter. Any reason I can’t run two in a row?

13. Terrible80

Terrible80

14. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Alright. I’ve about had it. Ive got a mess of problems and I don’t know where to start.

Fuel return couldn’t work, there’s not enough fuel pressure to start the car. I used a second fuel filter that had a return built in.

I re routed the fuel lines trying to get them away from the block, that only made it worse. Went down the street and back and the clear filter was already empty. The heat seems to be coming from the electric fan on the radiator. I can’t even hold my hand near the block because of the air coming from the fan. Fuel lines then get too hot to hold.

What the hell do I do now?

I can’t ditch the fan obviously. I can’t run the fuel return as is.

I’ve already spent about $100. I really need this next thing to work. Should I try the mechanical pump with the fuel return? Is there something I can do with the radiator to direct the air flow coming off it?

Guys, I’m lost.

15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

16. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

IMG_3102.JPG

So, what the freaking hell? I’m effing done.

New fuel pump with return. Return line maintains fuel and the line going to the carb is empty once the car is up to temp. I’ve tried moving the line, covering them, adding the return line, swapping the pump. I am completely out of ideas. This damn car is killing me $50 at a time.

There’s gotta be someone that can help me. I’m getting desperate.

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Electric pump mounted at rear will maintain all the fuel you can possibly use cruising around . That is me last , to try . Sounds as if fuel line is sucking air from somewhere between tank and pump .

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm not a mechanic, but is it possible the return line is preventing adequate fuel pressure at the carb?

19. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I’m trying to avoid the electric, but if it comes down to it, I’ll get one. I’ve got the cheap edelbrock from O’Reilly’s still. Can I run that in line with the mechanical pump?

I’m not sure about the air between the pump and tank. It looks like the fuel is boiling off right before the carb. May still try the heat spacer.

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I never had those filters be all the way full.

ClayMart likes this.
  21. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I’m more concerned about them being empty than not being full. The vapor seems to be enough to keep the engine running, but it sure makes me nervous.

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can usually only get them to be 1/2 full even when they are before the pump.

23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

24. footbrake

footbrake

It's hopeless, and to ease your mind you better just give me the car.

EnragedHawk and Peanut 1959 like this.
  25. Try this, it’s a bit dangerous, but will find the problem

Jerry rig a fuel bottle in the car, with new clean hoses going to the mechanical pump, straight hose from the pump to the carby. Drive it.....still got the problem
    Check. Float level
    Carby over hot
    Fuel pump eccentric, rare but happens
    Try temporary electric pump

IF it’s good with with fuel can, add filters, pressure reg etc, one at a time from the carby back

Still good ? Move the fuel can to the trunk, connect to original fuel lines

Still good? Check the tank
    Fuel pick up In the tank, pipes rusted, cracks, sucking air

Paul

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Tomincanada likes this.
  26. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Starting to feel like a dumb ass for thinking I could daily drive a 60 year old car. I’m typing this as I walk home because that god damn pos left me stranded again. I’ll explain more later. Gotta make it home first.

27. Terrible80

Terrible80

Don't give up, you can get this bitch runnin'.

EnragedHawk likes this.
  28. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Alright, let’s start with the bullshit I pulled to get the car home (after walking 4 miles to borrow a car).
    IMG_3108.JPG

Ok, now I’m just gonna think out loud, and I can see if you guys reach the same conclusion I have.

Car never got up past 180*, that relatively cool for this engine. This was about 2 miles from my house. The pressure started to take a dive, so I gunned it to see what would happen. Engine died unsurprisingly. What was surprising is that the car would start with 0 pressure and die if I tried to move. The fuel filter was still half full of fuel at the time. Never could get the pressure to build back up.

So, I threw in the electric pump I had in the trunk. Still no pressure, car wouldn’t even start this time. This is when I started walking to borrow a car.

One I had a car, I grabbed a gas can and some straps from my house, and went back to the Olds. I disconnected the rubber line that run to the tank, and dropped it in the fuel can. I’m still running the electric pump at this point.

Pressure builds, car starts up. I’m now running 9 psi (I know it’s too much, but I was just happy the damn thing ran).

So I close the hood as far as it will go, and limp home at 10 miles an hour.

So, give me your takes on the situation. I’ve got my theory, I want to know if it matches yours.

29. Where is that top hose going to in your picture? You may have built an air lock into it. And you have 2 fuel filters to keep happy. I think the drain-back from the top one may contribute to your possible vapor lock.