Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Brandon McCall, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

I purchased this 1930 sport coupe about two months ago with the intentions of building a fenderless "pre-war" TROG worthy hot rod.

The backstory:
    I bought this car from the 2nd owner who purchased it from the original owner's estate. The second owner only owned it for about a year before he was forced to sell it due to medical reasons.

The original owner began restoring this car prior to passing away. He welded in patch panels all along the bottom side, replaced the floor pans, rebuilt the original banger motor (which currently has less than 50 miles), installed juice brakes, replaced the seats, and replaced the radiator.

The second owner kept the car sitting on the side of his house for the majority of the time that he owned it. Other than having the wheels powder coated and installing new tires, he left the car untouched.

Build plans:
    My plan is to tear the car apart to paint the frame, motor and drive line. I also want to chop the top 3" and lower the front and rear axles to improve the handling and stance of the car. I am going to leave the exterior alone because I love the patina'ed paint job, but I do plan on sprucing up the interior. Ideally I would like to make a convertible top, but I am still playing around with ideas.

My goal is to have it ready by this years hill climb.

Attached are pictures from the eBay auction: Interior.jpg P-Side Rear.jpg D-Side.jpg D-Side.jpg Engine.jpg Front.jpg

brEad, Nailhead A-V8, Tim and 8 others like this.
  2. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

In its new home awaiting tear down...

IMG_2936.JPG

And the tear down begins...
    IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

brEad, dwollam, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  3. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

Chopping the top 3"
    IMG_2981.JPG IMG_2987.JPG IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2994.JPG

4. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Looking Good. Keep up the good work. Bob......

5. knuckle50

knuckle50
    from Pueblo Co

Nice car...keep up the good work.

6. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Love this car, will be watching! Keep up the great work~

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

Thanks, guys!

I put in a lot of work today and plan on putting in a few more hours tomorrow. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

9. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice looking car, love the pickup also.

11. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

Thank you, the pickup is my baby.

12. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

I spent two long days working on my car this weekend and made quite a bit of progress.

I was able to strip the car down to just the frame and was shocked that I didn't come across any "surprises". The more I tore the car apart, the more I became impressed with the original owners work. He clearly took his time when installing the patch panels, floor pans, juice brakes and wiring. It doesn't appear that he cut any corners.

While contractors were working on my house I was working on my car.... First step, remove the body.
    IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3055.JPG

Now to remove the engine...
    IMG_3064.JPG

Engine has been removed and it was time to call it a night.
    IMG_3065.JPG

Structurally the frame is in great shape. The right front frame horn has had some very very minor repairs, but that was the only damage that I could find. The surface rust was minimal and there were no signs of deep pitting.
    IMG_3082.JPG

I spent the majority of my time sand blasting/wiring brushing the dirt and surface rust off of the frame.
    IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3088.JPG

Finally, the frame has been removed. I think that I will take it to a professional sand blaster to have them get in the areas my portable blaster wouldn't reach. I want to make sure that the frame is squeaky clean before I paint it with POR15.
    IMG_3091.JPG

Packed in and ready to call it quits for the weekend.
    IMG_3100.JPG

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. Vanness

Vanness

Hell yeah. Love the progress!

14. ring gap

ring gap

Gotta say thats a sweet clean project..looks like your buddies waiting for ya by the door :)

Brandon McCall likes this.
  15. Your truck is awesome!! The coupe should be an easy build, it is in such great condition.

16. nutrocker

nutrocker

Gotta love a sport coupe. I built this one this time last year. I too was thinking of a fold down roof but ran out of time to think about it, but now I’m really pleased I went with the original style fixed roof.

6F7F92BD-4BBD-431D-85CD-27A9328F35F4.jpeg 031E72C2-17F0-42E0-9FDF-1FD91170C267.png A7C76E3C-5B23-4395-819B-5B2D8045E48B.jpeg D3EBAEE1-B431-4FD2-A1D7-FA4385C160FA.jpeg

brEad, 51box, Nailhead A-V8 and 14 others like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Before you put POR-15 over clean metal, you might want to read the can. Isn't the formula supposed to be used over rust (it's in the name), not clean metal? If you have it spanking clean, you might as well use real paint.

Bandit Billy and biggeorge like this.
  18. Vanness

Vanness

That’s true. The pot 15 will like flake off with time. It needs a rough surface and rusty is better for the Bond.

biggeorge likes this.
  19. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

I pulled these two excerpts from POR's website:

WHAT IS THE BEST SURFACE ON WHICH TO PAINT POR-15?
    POR-15
    likes rusted surfaces best. Seasoned metal and sandblasted metal are also good. POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces, but will adhere well to those surfaces with the proper preparation.

WHAT IS THE 'PROPER PREPARATION'?
    We make a product called 'Metal-Ready'. It's a rust remover that leaves a zinc phosphate coating on base metal, the perfect preprimer for POR-15. NOTE: New steel is coated with a protective oil finish at the mill. This finish must be removed before using POR-15 or Metal-Ready. Clean metal first with POR-15 Marine-Clean, then rinse with water and dry.

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-FAQS_ep_61.html

I have painted over freshly sandblasted frames with POR-15 before and have had great results. POR-15 is usually my go to because it is tough as nails, but I may decide to go with normal paint too. I have a few weeks before I need to make that decision.

Alch and Van, what do you two typically paint frames with? Do you have any recommendations?

I love your sport coupe. I came across your build thread prior to tearing in to my car. It is one of a few that I am using as inspiration in my build.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    nutrocker likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

If it's a "show car" I'd paint with the same stuff I use on the body. If it's a driver I've even been known to use Krylon from the spray can. Lot's of choices in between too.

21. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

Slowly making progress on the build. I just got the frame, torque tube, front/rear wishbone, and rear axle bells back from powder coating. It was not cheap, but they turned out really well. (Please excuse the mess in my garage. I'm also in the middle of a home renovation project.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also received my reverse eye leaf springs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be out of town this weekend, but I hope to continue working on it next week. I have a bunch of cleaning and painting left to do before I can reassemble.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, dwollam, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40

Lookin good , sporty coupe

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looking Good!!! Subscribed!! Hope you make it to the Hillclimb! See you there!

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice project, I'll be following along, and looking forward to updates. Thanks for sharing.

25. kiteloop

kiteloop
    from chatel

i love your patina,do not paint it !!

26. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

I really like where you're going with this!

27. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Carrying a little speed into that corner werent you haha

28. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

healthy chop model A 3 window... just happens to have a canvas roof...

29. Brandon McCall

Brandon McCall

I’m happy to report that there are some updates. I am not as far as I would like to be, but between finishing my MBA program and dirt bike/mountain bike season beginning my time has been spread pretty thin.

Here’s a shot of cleaning up the rear center section and prepping it for paint. (In the background - My dad is being commissioned to do a frame up restoration on a 31 model A closed cab pickup. It’s been nice being able to compare notes)

IMG_3196.JPG

Cleaning and prepping parts for paint.

IMG_3208.JPG

Getting ready for assembly.

IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

As it sits today. It is almost a complete roller. I need to paint and install the steering linkage, install dog bones on shocks and button up the brake lines.

IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG

After I complete the rolling chassis I am going to start on the engine. Luckily the engine is freshly rebuilt so all it needs is a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint.

I’ll be sure to keep the updates coming. My deadline is still September of this year.... fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019