Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Project: 1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnragedHawk, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Well, that's hotrodding for ya! Glad you found that darn thing. Bet you feel a lot better now.

2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Man, for real. It’s so nice to actually be able to hear the engine. That rattle was ridiculous.

So like I said, I hate posts without pictures, so here are a couple of new ones.

Before and after of the wheels.the white walls are gone for now. Hoping to get new ones eventually (and real ones at that). After painting, I threw on some chrome trim rings I had from my panel wagon. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also mounted a fire extinguisher under the front seat for the trip to Austin.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a spare tire as well for the trip.
    [​IMG]

And currently don’t have the rear fender skirts on. Took them off to do some work, and actually kinda like the look without. Haven’t decided yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

We made it there and back again! Besides the weather sucking and so many people bailing at 3:00, we had an awesome time.

[​IMG]

We did have a hang up on the way back. I’ve been through my 4th fuel filter in the last couple months. I cleaned the lines a couple weeks ago and swapped the filter and fuel pump, but it’s obviously time to drop the tank and either clean it or swap it. I think Napa has one for about $90.

Picked up a few things while we were there. A blanket because we were freezing, some Olds corner lights (going to try and make a horn button with one), a nifty metal Oldsmobile sign, and a neat reprinted owners manual. Oh, and of course a Round Up shirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    shadams likes this.
  4. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Alright, little bit of a sob story mixed with good news and an update.

I mentioned back in post #57 that I had spent 2 weeks last summer in the hospital. Well, it’s stage 5 renal failure, and I’ve been on dialysis since. Medical bills have been kicking my ass since then. I was finally faced with the choice of selling my 2014 (reliable) Ram, or the Olds.

Because I’m an idiot, I sold the truck and kept the Olds.

Anyway, I’ve been daily driving the car for a solid year now. I’ve driven it to Austin, Ft. Worth, Temple, and all around Waco. Runs great.

Until this week.

IMG_2900.JPG

Left me stranded twice. Once it was the mechanical fuel pump, and the next day it was the electrical pump I threw in.

IMG_2937.JPG
    I’ve got the mechanical working again, I’ve replaced the fuel lines, and now I’ve dropped the tank to get it cleaned and sealed. Hoping that takes care of me fuel delivery issues.

IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2955.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG

Anyway, can’t drop off the tank at a shop till Monday. I’m having a kidney transplant in about 2 weeks. I’m hoping to have the car up and running before then. After the surgery, I can’t drive for a few weeks and can’t lift anything for close to 2 months.

Oh, and last thing not about cars. My dad is my kidney donor, so I just want to mention how thankful I am for him. If you’re the thoughts and prayers kind, they’d be much appreciated.

5. My thoughts are with you. I know it is possible to survive anything, I have had bone marrow cancer, and not had a day in remission in 28 years. Not bad for a diagnosis of a year or less to live. So much depends on point of view, having family and outside support.
    My point is, you can do it, and I think your dad is awesome for ponying up to donate a kidney.
    As for the car, I am stupid enough to think you made the right decision, and although there well be problems, when they are fixed properly, the problems are not likely to recur.
    Hang in there, I know dialysis is no picnic.
    Bob

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I watched my dad go through dialysis and a transplant,I could not donate one since I have only one. I had one destroyed in a bad car accident.

7. Sorry about the health problems, hope everything is getting more lined out. Just found your thread and of course my interest is biased. Just bought my deceased partners '53 last Nov. Loving everyday I get to drive it. keep the updates coming. Will never be SOLD New PIG 018.JPG New PIG 018.JPG New PIG 016.JPG New PIG 009.JPG
    If anyone has an extra trunk latch, give me a PM.

RDR and Ranchero59 like this.
  8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

We got your back Hawk, hope you and your Pops get well soon. Prayers sent brother

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mario711 likes this.
  9. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

Man, that thing is gorgeous! Hopefully mine will look half that good some day.

I haven't heard much from the shop that has my tank. I talked to them yesterday and they said it's not looking good. They put it "back in the vat." I have no idea what the vat contains, but hopefully it'll work. But, hope for the best, plan for the worst... A new Olds tank will run dang near $500. Are there any alternative tanks that might fit for less? It's just two straps holding in the tank, seems like something else might work.

A 53 Chevy tank looks similar, but wider. They run a lot less. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. triumph 1

triumph 1

Thoughts & prayers hoping your recovery is speedy. Very nice olds!

mario711 likes this.
  11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Thanks triumph 1, much appreciated!

Alright, so I’m still at a loss on the fuel thing. I need some help.

Fuel tank is clean and back in. Mechanical pump is working, metal lines have been cleaned out, rubber lines have been replaced, and filter is staying full. After a few days, I’m still getting crap in the filter. Could the fuel be eating up the rubber lines that fast? It’s less than 3 feet of rubber at the front.

12. BJR

BJR

Did you use new ethanol safe fuel line? Not some old NOS line that is not ethanol safe. Did you replace the metal lines? I would, they could have the same crap stuck inside them as the tank did. Only rubber in the front should go from the metal frame line to the fuel pump. In the back from tank to metal line. Two short pieces of rubber line. Use metal line from fuel pump to carb. If you cut in a plastic fuel filter then 2 more short pieces of rubber line.

13. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I’ve got the plastic fuel filter up front. The rubber lines are new from O’Reilly’s. Rubber runs from frame crossmember to pump, pump-filter-carb. Rubber is all as short as possible, less than 3’ total, probably closer to 2’.

Steel lines were cleaned with alcohol. After cleaning them, I used an electric pump through a filter to drain the tank. Filter stayed clean for 15 gallons till tank was empty.

Whatever is in the filter is not magnetic.

14. triumph 1

triumph 1

15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

16. Bounder

Bounder

Good luck on your transplant. My wife got a liver transplant 3 1/2 years ago and is doing great hope you will, too. But it does slow you down for a while. Ain't cheap either, kinda held me up on my old merc for a while but I'm back at it now. Rest up for a while then get into that Olds with a vengeance.

17. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR POPS,HAWK! PRAYERS SENT!

18. BJR

BJR

Was the new fuel pump new old stock, or new? The diaphragms in the new old stock ones are not ethanol safe, and will fall apart. Could be where all the crud in the filter is from.

19. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson
    from Aggieland

I had a similar issue with my '57. Turns out the filter on the fuel sending unit was original and decaying. You had the tank pulled, did you put a new unit in the fuel tank? My carb has to be cleaned about every few months because the gas is just full of junk. She is my daily driver too down here in Aggieland so she gets gas weekly.

20. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I’m starting to think I was getting some crap from the fuel pump that was just left over. The fuel filter hasn’t gotten any worse, and the car ran great all week.

Long story, short version:
    I’m a teacher, and we took our 8th graders to a local college to check it out. I showed up late because of a meeting. We didn’t have as many busses for the return trip, so they were pretty packed on the way home. My principal asked if she could ride with me.

“Yeah sure, but I gotta warn you first... there’s no AC... or seat belts... or 100% guarantee of making it to its destination...”

We made it back. And I still have a job.

Thank you guys for all the kind words, it really means a lot, and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I just had my surgery yesterday (I’m writing this from a hospital bed in San Antonio).

Surgery went well, and the new kidney is working great so far. My dad did even better than me. He’s already been walking around and got to check out a little while ago. I’ll be here till Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks again, all. You guys are the best.

And because I hate posts without pictures:
    IMG_2990.JPG
    I have to park a block away from my pharmacy because the driveway is too steep.

AndersF, Sancho, 40FORDPU and 5 others like this.
  21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Glad you and your dad are on the mend. The car stuff is good too!

EnragedHawk likes this.
  22. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

So, I did a thing. I started making this video a couple months ago, but got a little busy. Finished it up today.
    I bought some cheapie exhaust cutouts for the Olds. I love the sound of the 455 open headers. The kit was only $160. Considering name brands can run $400-$500, I'm happy. I know you get what you pay for, so I've already come to terms with future exhaust leaks and rattles. When that happens, I'll just throw caps on the ends.

Ok, and final mention of the kidney transplant. My dad and I are both doing great. The incision pain gets better every day. Hell, I was cleared to drive again, so that's awesome. Only major thing left (in my head) is the stent removal. That's gonna be a bitch. Thanks again for all of the support guys, it really meant a lot.

Hank37, chriseakin, chargin03 and 3 others like this.
  23. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

EnragedHawk likes this.
  24. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Alright, so after lots of driving, I’m still having a few issues that are scaring me. Car hasn’t stalled out yet, but it’s come close several times. Here’s what’s happening:

After cruising down the highway for a while and coming to a stop, fuel pressure drops to about 1-2 psi and the filter is practically empty, and the idle seems very rough. I let the car cool off for about 30-40 minutes, then I’ve got 3-4 psi and the filter is half full (or is it half empty? Haha). Still getting junk in the filter, but I think that’s a separate issue.

My dad is convinced this is the problem:
    IMG_3067.JPG

I’m not sure how that would affect the fuel pressure, but I’m willing to try just about anything now. What are your thoughts?

On another note, fuel pressure never exceeds 5 psi, and is normally in the 3-4 range. Under heavy acceleration it’ll drop between 1-2. Is that about right?

Thanks as always.

25. given the temps you have in TX I would think that there is a bit of vapor lock going on. Take a look at fuel line routing and try to isolate it from the heat as much as possible. Get an insulator for the carb perhaps from Cool Carb to keep the heat away from the base of the carb. These may improve on the situation. I sure others will chime in with other remedies...

dogwalkin likes this.
  26. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

See, that makes more sense to me. Everything on the engine gets stinkin’ hot. I pulled the air filter off to snap the picture, and I had to toss it on the ground because it was so hot. I checked out cool carb, I’ll probably order an insulator pretty soon. May try my dads idea just to rule it out.

27. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I’m still beating my head against the wall. I don’t have a lot to spend, so I really want to get it right the first time.

Would adding a return line be more effective than the carb shield? There’s a fuel pump I can change over to that I think has a return line.
    IMG_3084.JPG
    Then I can either swap the fuel sender or add a line on the filler neck.

I tried using header wrap on the fuel lines and some over the radiator hoses. Didn’t do any good. Car still struggled on the way home this afternoon. I checked the gas cap, seems to be venting. Didn’t hear anything when I removed it and fuel filter didn’t fill when I removed the cap.

Any help would be much appreciated.

28. Sporty45

Sporty45

I've often heard that the 455 Olds motors overheat easier than other big cube engines, and if your air cleaner is so hot to touch you have to toss it down, then it definitely sounds heat related. Do you have a temp gauge in the car? If not, maybe grab a cheap one and hook it up to keep track of running temps. The whole "tossing the air cleaner because it's so hot" thing doesn't sound too good!

29. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I’ve got a gauge for temp. It’ll run 220 on a hot day, in town it’ll stay around 180-190.

30. Sporty45

Sporty45

Those temps seem fine. Maybe just too much underhood heat building up. I see you have louvers, so not sure why it would get so hot.