Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can't get brakes bled in the front.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Oldschool Rodder 62, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

On my 32 Ford, all the components are new. I got all the air out of the rear. Can't get it out of the front. I even changed out the master cylinder. I never ran into this before. Suggestions?

2. Describe what you are using for front brakes, please.

Phil

F&J likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

32 Ford brakes don't use fluid. They are mechanical. ;)

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

pics would help too - also, what steps are you using to bleed system - bench bled M/C?

Unkl Ian likes this.

5. Details, Man.
    Need details.

6. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

What size bore is the master cylinder v/s bore size of front wheel cylinder.
    I once tried to use a Mustang II master cylinder conversion kit on a 48 Ford, the 9/16s master bore could not fill the big 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 wheel cylinder bores with out several pump ups.:oops:

7. You haven't given us enough info to be of any actual help for ya. What is your system and what all is in the plumbing of it?
    The Wizzard

8. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Make sure the car is on the ground, level and not on jacks, especially the front. Bleed again, far-est from mc then in rotation.

9. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

If using calipers be sure the bleeders are at the very top. If not bleed with the calipers unbolted with a block between the pads, then the bleeders can be turned to the top.

10. egads

egads

Maybe try something like this? 35297181_2527782164114342_2069988805753962496_n.jpg

11. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Get a hand operated vacuum bleeder kit. Cheap. It sucks the fluid thru the calipers/wheel cylinder.

12. oj

oj

Let me guess, MC in floor and faces the rear of the car? rear brake plumbing comes from the front bowl and the front brakes come from rear bowl because you didn't want to cross the brake lines? That'll put just a minimal squirt to the front that would be intended for the rear and you'll have strong stream of brake fluid at the rear that is intended for the front. Just a swag, probably wrong, without pics you know.

trollst and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Don’t use the bleeders , losen the fitting from your brake line to your well cylinders at the problem wheel and you will get the air out .

14. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

I HAVE GM SINGLE PISTON DISCS

15. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

16. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

I'll give that a try in the am. I'll let you know. thanks

17. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

Grabbed one from NAPA just keeps sucking air a a bit of fluid. Refill cylinder before it emptys and do it again and again........I find no leaks, can't get any pedal

18. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

Duh for real ?

19. You still haven't supplied details.

20. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

Thanks. I've done this several times. I bench bled the m/c before instal maybe I did that wrong?

21. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

OK . All new stuff. 3/8 steel line , vette m/c , wilwood proportioning valve , GM discs all 4 corners. M/C under the floor. Front cylinder of m/c goes to front brakes, rear to rear. Started bleed right rear, left rear . right front to left front. all air out of rear. Front can't get air out. I did bench bleed the m/c. Maybe I did not do it right?

22. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

GM single piston . All new stuff.

23. If there are no leaks and you are having to add fluid to the master, you are getting it, just slowly. One reason might be when you crack the bleeder and pull vacuum, sometimes it pulls air past the bleeder threads instead of fluid through the lines. Try a little teflon tape on the bleeder threads.

trollst likes this.
  24. trollst

trollst

What I suggest, get a container, dump some brake fluid into it, enough to cover a hose dipped in it, attach hose to open bleeder with hose immersed in container, slowly push pedal to floor and slowly back up, repeat till you see air no more bubbling from container. Or, remove bleeder from caliper, use vacuum to pull fluid and replace bleeder once done. Both work for me.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  25. You say new 3/8" steel brake lines. I sure hope that's a miss print. You should have 3/16" steel lines. Also you say you have a wilwood proportioning valve. Do you mean the safety valve with the barrel valve? In other words the Brass manifold with the dash light switch?
    The Wizzard

26. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

Thanks I'll try that

27. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

Sorry it's 3/16. The proportioning valve from my understanding allows you to adjust the way the brakes grab. More rear or front etc. I can't see where that would cause the problem as it is in the line to the rear.

swade41 and prewarcars4me like this.
  28. Oldschool Rodder 62

Oldschool Rodder 62

I have done that. But I will give it another shot. Thanks

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you use thru frame brake line fittings up front?

K13 likes this.
  30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I use an Ace Hardware 1/2 gallon lawn and garden sprayer to put a slight pressure on the master cylinder. It requires a fitting in the master cylinder cover to connect the hose to. You can get covers for some master cylinders or you can put a fitting in the cover and plug it later.