Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Been to the top !!! Most of the parts were manufactured by Struthers Wells Co in Warren PA

chryslerfan55 and 1934coupe like this.
  2. Caprice89

Caprice89

I believe it is the end of the steam ram, the device that is propelling the planes to catapult them of the deck. Hot steam, so hence the rust.

Sent from my hand held online shouting device.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Too much... hot rod and hot rod wrecker! Gary
    [​IMG]

Samj, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Been up there also, a pretty cool structure and stainless to boot, my favorite metal.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey shipmate! I did the last cruise, or "The Last Ride" as we called it on the Ranger. CVIC was my home.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ranger_(CV-61).
    She recently moved from conservation to the scrapper in Texas. Gary

6. noboD

noboD

Read the story of them building it. When they were to put in the last piece the two sides were off, maybe 4 inches. They waited for the sun to shine on one side and hosed down the other with a fire hose to cool it off and proceeded to bolt it together when it aligned.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I heard a similar thing, it was off a few inches and I read or heard they had cabled/come-a-longed it. In any case it was built from both sides and to be that close when built is incredible.

Pat

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Here's a newer picture I found of this place.

[​IMG]

9. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I was doing a check ride in a C172 when we saw her being towed up channel in Puget Sound. The check pilot would not let me do a touch-n-go, saying the ensuing paperwork from the FAA, USCG, USN and others would frighten him. It was tempting though...

10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

would you have been classified as a bogie...bogie low and slow?

11. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

I am guessing maybe they were going to apply undercoating to that '55 Lincoln Capri hardtop. That's the only thing I can think of.

4everblue and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Johnny99

Johnny99

P40 on a station in Everett WA. Sure wish I could have seen this in person, just a bit to early for me. Not to awful far South of this location an AT6 Texan was perched on a building on old Highway 99. That one I did see, stopped and watched it plucked from the roof.

Everett Wa P40.jpg Everett Wa P401.jpg

kbgreen, bramdax, A Minus and 12 others like this.
  13. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

real slow.

14. keef59

keef59

15. keef59

keef59

16. keef59

keef59

17. swi66

swi66

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Holy Shit!!!! That's my car! It is a very early photo probably around 1963 2nd year out for car and in color. Picture has some strange things about it or may be it's just me. This is one of those missing link type of photo's SWI66 do you know where this photo came from? One of the guys that went to the track with us was Ed Connolly and he had a real camera and took pictures all the time. I wonder if this could by one of them. Everybody except me that was associated with this car is gone now. Swi66 you made my day. The "holy grail" photo would be of me being towed down the return road after a run, that was my job. I just remembered it had a 4 speed T-10 trans. in it.

Pat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. egads

egads

A Lincoln option was a self greasing chassis, after it was installed this method was used to help the grease flow to the fitting's to get the air out.

20. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

21. JD Miller

JD Miller

Got me some mail order LS7 heads, gonna put em on right here in da parking lot

[​IMG]

don colaps, bramdax, A Minus and 5 others like this.
  22. keef59

keef59

Hollister, CA. motorcycle rally- July 1947 - Mr. Pat Hathaway archives photo motorcycle-rally-hollister-calif-july-7-1947-california-views-mr-pat-hathaway-archives.jpg

23. keef59

keef59

24. JD Miller

JD Miller

Glad I dont live in Temecula. Its now over populated

Remember when or heard about HA vs Pachanga Indians, and the old bank , 5th pic, got shot up ?

No more Temecula Tractor races and the Hot rod run is to commercialized and too crowded

25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

3 of my uncles and my brother across the street from our house 1959 Clyde,Ken,Gene,Fred1959.jpg

26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Once the aircraft was launch, it would dip down below the launch deck, and the afterburners/exhaust would burn off the paint. Of course I could be all wrong, I flew helicopters for the Army.

JOYFLEA and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. Thanks, COCONUTS, I needed a good laff today!:D:D

28. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Correct, the flight deck was 90ft above the water and if you were standing on the flight deck, the plane would almost disappear below the bow before it climbed out. Scary moment. But not as scary as the landing!

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. I have 5,000 hours on fighters and 29,000 total flying time, and at breakfast with a United crew in Narita back in the 80s, I remember saying to a Navy jock that flew A-4s in SEA, that I would love to have done a few carrier traps.
    He became incredibly emotional, and told me that he did well over 100, and if he never saw a carrier again that it wouldn't hurt his feelings. It wasn't what he said, but how much emotion there was in his statement. It wasn't flying missions over Hanoi that bothered him, it was the landings.
    He stated that he was on one of the smaller carriers, and when parking, the ground crew would taxi them so close to the edge of the ship that their butt was hanging over the water. He stated that at night, this was terrifying.
    I learned a new respect for carrier pilots.
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.