Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big truck rear and new project A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4b316, Jun 8, 2018.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Also where is the emergency brake or what is called the service brake. Early ones had them on the left side next to your left knee instead of on the transmission.

2. flatford39

flatford39

No 7:1 vs 5:1

osage orange likes this.
  3. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

How to tell the difference in ratio,s besides pulling apart?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Jack up one wheel, turn the wheel or the drive shaft ten times count the number of times the drive shaft or wheel turns and figure it out. Don’t forget the two to one spider gear factor. Turning the wheels or shaft ten times and then deviding by ten gives a very accurate ratio.

Bones

5. do to the torque tube, you are going to have to put both gear boxes in high, and crank the motor by hand with the rear jacked up and count the turns.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

At this point in time does it really matter what the rear has for a ratio? Will it ever run again?

Bob

X38 likes this.
  7. The ratios are 7:14 to 1 and 6.6 to 1. Neither is practical if you are hotrodding it. It's like, what did the snail say as he was riding the back of the turtle? Wheeeee!.

brEad, The37Kid and choffman41 like this.
  8. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Well,got it home today and it rolled right off the rollback,all the wheels loosened up and now she rolls.will pull plugs tomorrow and see what she looks like or at least get some pb blaster squirted around them to loosen them up

9. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Pulled the plugs today, came right out. Good looking inside, a little black soot on the plugs, doesn't look like any water got in it. Pulled the dipstick, nothing but oil, no moisture

brEad likes this.
  10. the water will be at the bottom. pull the drain plug.

osage orange likes this.
  11. D2Denny

D2Denny

You will have spent less $$ and have more fun with your new toy than all the rest of your rides. I scored this one for half a grand put another $500. into it, and use it all the time around the place as a poor mans Gator. Also take it to truck and tractor shows and use it as a golf cart to get around. Has a AA 4 speed with a A 3 speed behind it. No one can touch it in slow races when it is in double reverse.

Attached Files:

12. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

Got 200$ in it so far, think I got a guy that wants the 20 inch wheels, might swap me a pair of 18,s or 16,s.seen a 30? A today I'm going to look at, body is pretty rough, I'll try to get some pics if I can.my son in law said that they have some kind of old square truck cab up at camp they push over the bank quite awhile ago, got to find out what that is also

13. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Before you "swap" those 20" wheels, you BOTH might want to look at the bolt patterns of the wheels you are swapping for, as those 20s re truck pattern & I don't know of any 18s or 16s with the same SIZE bolt CIRCLE. I rather doubt that either one of you would be happy, & those wires need the hub as well to line up properly(the hub design supports the center of the wheel & keeps the wheel from "kanting" due to the way the stud holes are "dished".)

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^ Those 20' AA Wires need to use the brake drums that are with them now. You can swap out car drums and wheels if you find some. Bob

15. 4b316

4b316
    from ny

He has a AA now and just wants a spare wheel.if you seen my other post on a big rear, I already have a couple front ends and pieces. I'm hoping by him getting the wheels, he might open up on the rear end i want. I was also bouncing around the idea of a speedster with 20,s in back and 18,s in the front but just ideas. I need to pull the brake drums and such and see if they would go on the banjo.just so much going on,my 46 dodge pickup with OT motor needs a water pump and some alternator belt line up, grand kids and just life gets in the way