Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 Chevy Business Coupe - Family Build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ulloa49, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Recently, I posted a thread of my 1938 Chevy Business Coupe build which was deleted due to not being related to the website. I know the car is not a traditional custom; with airbags. I have thought about going towards the Westergard style like Sal Cacciola's 1938 Chevy. This is just my first ever build; my goal after this 1938 Coupe is to find a 1936 Ford 3 Window Coupe to build a traditional style taildragger like Jon Fisher's 36 or Mike Bellos 36. I would like to just share with you guys what I am building hoping I can gain some more knowledge from you guys on some things I could do with my 1938 Chevy. I do hope to be able to keep this thread alive on here.

Back in 2013; I used to own a 1951 GMC Carryall that I sold to buy a 1938 Chevy Business Coupe. I knew the car was going to be a good project for my dad, my brother, and myself to build together. I have always been around cars my whole life from watching my dad build Harley Motorcycles to helping them build my brothers old 1949 Chevy Business Coupe.

When I purchased the 1938 Chevy; I thought it would be a good moment for me to learn more about classic cars with my family and to gain some knowledge from anyone I can. I always enjoy hearing history of custom cars.

To continue with my thread I would like to start to share some photos of my car. Below is what the car currently looks like as of today. We let all the air out of the air bags and have the car sitting on a set of Cragar supremes 14x7 Standards. I apologize for the images being out of order and if I missed any parts of the build. I am always open to answer questions about our build.

IMG_2079.JPG

When I first purchased the car it was more of a lowrider/bomb style with Hydraulics sitting on Cragar Star Wires 14x7 Reversed with visor. I knew I did not want to keep it that way when I purchased it; I wanted to build it as my own car and not someone else. Below is what the car looked like when I first bought it.

IMG_6843.JPG

When we first brought it home I got started on taking it apart. We did not really expect to make the car a full restoration build but as we took it apart we found many problems with the quality of the work on how it was built before.

IMG_7731.JPG photo 2-3.JPG photo 4-3.JPG

After; we established everything that was needed to be done to the car we got started on taking it all the way apart. We removed the 250 Engine that was sitting in the car when purchased. Removed the hydraulics; gas tank; seat; fenders and then finally the body. We started out by getting the frame down to bare metal ready to redo the C-Notch & install 4 link suspension in the rear with air bags thanks to some help from TP Customs. The front suspension is all up to date with new 1974-1976 Ford Pinto Mustang II parts. The rear end is a Ford 9".

IMG_7991.JPG IMG_8155.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

After the frame being completed we mounted the body onto the frame and put the motor in; we are installing a v8 Chevy Small Block 350 still in process of buying parts and building the motor.

IMG_0623.JPG

As of right now the car sits in primer after a bit of body work done by my brother & myself as he is teaching me how to do body work and soon how to paint when it is time to paint the car.

I look forward to keep you guys updated on the build. This car is something I want to be able to just drive and be able to know that its something that I built with my family; not building it for trophies.

Build It To Cruise It & Enjoy!!!

IMG_6830.JPG

Attached Files:

2. nice!...keep us posted...

Ulloa49 likes this.
  3. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Thank you, we should have the trunk on & try getting the hood on so you can see how it will look better next weekend!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Some inspiration for my build! I would like to install some bubble skirts on it! Along with installing the door handles & trunk handle back on my 38! In the near future down the road I would like to see the 38 with a nice clean chop on it! When I get it driving it will be sitting on some wide white walls with hubcaps. Just have the Cragar Supremes laying around!

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 6.38.24 PM.png kustoms.png f5502ed5a70934b27624dc8589160064--i-had-kustom.jpg 7055800409_a51f18e322_b3.jpg IMG_0306.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Sounds like you have established a good plan. Family builds are important. Good experience and creating memories. Build what you like, like what you build, then drive the wheels off it. Good luck ! keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Ulloa49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Always have been a fan of '37/'38 Chevy's hard to go wrong with any style of build when starting out with the great lines GM incorporated.

Ulloa49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Wow, great work. The best part is you’re doing it with your family which is important.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ulloa49 likes this.
  8. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

The build has taken a lot longer then expected but with some

Thank you! I like being able to learn new things always and being able to learn with my family is the best! Building it to drive it; not some trailer queen just for trophies! I want to be able to drive it anywhere any chance I get!!!

9. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Here’s mine IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0493.JPG different school of thought, but same car, when done it will pay you back ten-fold, just the satisfaction of knowing that you and family put it together. PRICELESS.

10. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Looks real good! I like it! Yeah, I've always liked 30's coupes! They just look so good!
    Im looking at getting a 1406 Edelbrock Carb 600CFM , with tall finned valve covers & 51-56 Cadillac air cleaner later this month! Similar setup as the same engine above!

Lou kriger likes this.
  11. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

12. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

13. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yeah I get it. This is old tech. Old school- - - 4bbl. Carter AFB ON TOP OF A 57 Corvette intake. Solid lifters, Duntov 30-30 cam and Aluminum pistons. Then the guy wanted to increase the Bore— so we go from 283 to 301cu. In. It is soooo Sweeeett! Most fun I’ve had in a while.

14. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Any pictures of the engine? I would like to see!!!

15. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yes, I’ll shoot some and post em.

16. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Just got some new parts!!! 1406 Edelbrock 600 CFM Carburetor, 100Amp Alternator from Powermaster, Speedwaymotors Disc Brakes (ones on car are old and needed to be upgraded)

We also got stainless steel for brake lines; Still plenty of more parts coming real soon!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  17. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

It has been a while since I have last updated you guys on my build.

IMG_2094.JPG

This is how the trunk looked before we had it cut out and repaired.

IMG_2046.JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 1.43.05 PM.png

The trunk after the repair.

IMG_0078.JPG

The floor is in and almost complete along with getting the trunk layout setup. Along with an area behind the seat which will include battery box & location for tools!

IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 1.53.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 1.53.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 1.56.01 PM.png

18. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

To add onto to the previous post; we had my brother paint some parts to see how we liked the color choice for the car. The headlight bucket, air tank, & steering column.

IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG

Here is the Accuair air bag setup layout in the trunk ; minus the air lines plumbed.

IMG_0086.JPG

Here is the coupe sitting in the garage getting ready for last coat of primer and blocking before we break it apart and get it painted.

IMG_0079.JPG

I will continue to keep you guys updated as we do more work to the coupe.

mgtstumpy and David Gersic like this.
  19. Nice, grew up riding in a 38 Chev coupe to rod runs in the 70's and 80's. Always have liked them!

Ulloa49 likes this.
  20. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Thank you! Yeah, I have always liked 37-39 Chevy Coupes!

21. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Trunk is ready for paint now! Also; picked up a seat for it!

IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It's come a long way since the early days and definitely built better now. The builder seems to have cut a lot of corners that you've now repaired.

Ulloa49 likes this.
  23. Terraizer

Terraizer

looking good, that's going to be a looker for sure. Keep up the excellent work, way safer now.

Ulloa49 likes this.
  24. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Thank you!!! That was our biggest concern after we began to take the car apart. I bought the car with intentions of just making it a daily cruiser until I started to take apart a few things! My father, brother and myself talked and agreed lets do a full restoration and do it the right way (much safer & better quality)

I am in the process of trying to figure out if I want to run Appleton 552 Spotlights or no spotlights & what hubcaps to run???

25. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

LOVE those inspiration cars. Can't beat a low coupe with skirts.

Ulloa49 likes this.
  26. Orn

Orn

Looking good. Keep up the good job!

Ulloa49 likes this.
  27. Looks good, I like the custom look on the 37-38 Chevy coupes (39 too).
    The nice thing about these cars is you can go hot rod, drag, custom and they come out great any way you build thanks to the great factory lines that compliment several styles.

Ulloa49 likes this.
  28. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Exactly; I would like to do flush mounted skirts in the near future but I am going to save that for future when I feel like changing the car up along with chopping it!

29. Ulloa49

Ulloa49

Thank you, I am hoping to get the car sprayed with the last bit of primer real soon so we can get it taken apart and spray everything with the charcoal paint!

30. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Do you have the emblem that attaches to the inside of the window frame? If so, can you post a picture of it? I don't have one and I'm having a hard time finding one so I can try to buy one to install. Thanks.