Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest (USPEC)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Feb 12, 2018.

1. I rolled 15.5 hrs from North Carolina :) But I also left the rig there for MD... hehehe

2. Thanks everyone for all the great comments. Really feeling pride about all that and quite "aww shucks guys!" When I was writing the Gas class assignments on the cars I know a couple people were shocked that they were in "A" but then I reminded them that we time traveled to the early 60's...that was A!! Great meeting everyone, see y'all at the Meltdown... Gotta find some more bowling pins...

3. I only spectated, but had a great time. I guess I need to see if I can fit some Pie Crust slicks under my Model A.

4. ...more misc. stuff,...and last but not least, the MAN himself, Ron Leek, former track owner since July 1964, flippin burgers...we should all shake his hand and give him a "thank you".,he built one of the nicest, cleanest dragstrips in the country...he will be announcing at the Meltdown..
    pie drags no1 6-2-18 079.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 020.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 013.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 039.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 045.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 057.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 058.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 063.jpg pie drags no1 6-2-18 051.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  5. jimdillon

jimdillon

In Law Model A your dad's car was really nice and I am sure he had fun running it. I grew up around cars like your dad's as my grandfather and dad were both into antique and classic cars (me as well). I ran your dad and have the time slip if you want one for yourself. Nice car and great event. Let me know if you want it-some people are into mementos, some are not.

6. Et slips two seconds off is crazy. A few tips could get your ets back. This applies to radir slicks. Don't run inner tubes. The tires sidewall will then flex like a wrinkle wall tire. Burn the tires until they are flat. The hump in the middle needs to go away so you get the full foot print. I used a tow strap and a light pole at a local parking lot. i spun them until they were flat. 90/10 shocks help alot and are cheap. Look at what Morroso sells. Experiment with ballast in the trunk. It's amazing what 50 lbs can do placed in the rear of a car. Tire prep helps alot. Just like they used back in the day with BX-10. If there is any interest I could make up some tire prep and bring it to the melt down. its easy to use and apply. all you need is a rag.This stuff works great. old magazines can be used for reference on suspension changes. they always featured the faster cars of the day. study them to get ideas.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I can attest to the tire prep brian is talking about it works real well I've used it just give it some time to soak in and it will make those pie crusts super sticky

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. ^^^...very cool Rodder's Journal article, thanks for posting.

9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too...car was way off...so I wad pushing throttle do hard it pulled out if carb on second pass. Had to idle off track...

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, I believe Chuck was the class of Stock that day, he close on my hard on top end, he had good MPH. But.........rear end stopped his shot at top spot. Can't wait for Melt Down, got to get this wagon back into mid 14's or I will .have to make some serious changes..........like put a ford FE in it.......ha ha......

11. 62Furious

62Furious

Like Doug said, every time you went out the first 60 ft was the challenge. And I took second in my class and got one of the delicious pies.
    I will see all of you at the meltdown and I will be back next year for the fun.

12. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I think that will work. :rolleyes: but only if use the FE in the back by the tailgate for traction. :D

Front wheels might come off the ground.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  13. Hey Thank You! I was stoked he wanted to race it. He only made one pass though. Yes I will take that slip, save it till I see you again.

14. 354valiant

354valiant
    from Illinois

My Dad was there with '53 ROaDOiLeR and the Colson & Wood '41 Stude, says he had a good time!

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Paul, I will give you the time slip at the Meltdown. After looking over my time slips none of which are suitable for framing (more suitable for burning) I see that my run with your dad is the worst time I have ever run with the car. Since they were just timed runs it was all experimental for me to see what was the best way for me to get through the first 60' and I kind of remember that I had a bunch of wheelhop in that run. Nevertheless it is cool that you got to see your dad race it and thought you may like the slip.

All that being said in spite of poor ETs etc the day was great fun and good racing for me from the 60' out. I am sure your dad had fun as well running it after all of the work with restoring the car.

Doug I agree that Chuck ran really strong for our group and he had a 4.11 and I have my 3.70 gear but in my earlier run with him he out miled per hour me but I beat him 14.949 to his 14.973 (and he went red by .112). He wanted to switch lanes and go again which we did but that is when he broke his center section. He will be hard to beat though if he switches to a 4.88 gear. I was hoping to see 13s but that was a bit overly optimistic but hopefully I will do better at the Meltdown.

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did not check the mph's...but you two were the race for sure...see ya at meltdown..wagon gonna have a little more sumpin sumpin. Wife said you need to buy better parts. $$

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Just finished up mine today.

20. 62Furious

62Furious

Shared my pie with people at work and they enjoyed it.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they have been established for next year, what will be the pie crust criteria/limitations? I can't find the words now, but I recall reading something to the effect of tire width being tied to small-block vs. big block?

22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Finn

Small blocks are limited to 8" wide, so did some research and found out
    Towel City makes an 8" recap
    Radir makes a New 7" with crossed flags thread and then jumps up to 8 1/2 ", talked with the Radir guys at USPEC
    and they don't plan on retooling for 8", steered me toward the 7s.
    Firestone makes new piecrusts at 8 1/2 ".

So the choice now is to run a recap 8" Towel City or a new 7" Radir Piecrust.

Thinking that the USPEC have found this out and may change the rules to allow 8 1/2, :rolleyes:

Going to wait and see before buying a set for the 64.
    Leaning toward the Towel City right now, seems like those that have them like em and the 64 might not have enough room for the 8 1/2".:oops:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  23. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

20180602_100057.jpg
    Traffic Cops? o_O :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  24. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

25. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

20180602_105848.jpg
    Sounds like Finn will have Pie Crusts on next year :cool:

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

I imagine that next year will have more than a couple more guys with pie crusts. I also believe the first 60' will be negotiated a bit differently than this year. It was a fun event though and as it grows I would not doubt that it goes to two days. Good meeting you Tickety Boo.

27. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Jim I had a good time talking to you also, you and your buddy's Corvette's are outstanding.
    Did you guys signed up to run the Meltdown?
    Need some Chevy's to pit near me cause it looks like I am going to be surrounded by Fords.
    A target rich environment :D

28. jimdillon

jimdillon

God willing, both John with his blown 62 and me with my stock 62 will be there. It will be John's first year for the Meltdown but my 6th. I have pitted across the pit entrance road across from you the last 3 years. I pretty much go where I am told anyways or where it is best for logistics. It is fine for me and I get to see friends I have pitted with for the last few years but even if we do not pit close by I will be pulling for you. I owned 4 Chevelles (3-66 SS396 and a 69 SS 396) and have a real soft spot in my heart for them. That being said I would be lying if I did not hope that Scott gets to make a few good passes in anger. I have loaned him a tool or two in the past but hopefully that will not be the case this year. Really looking forward to the event. I parked my car as I don't want to jinx anything breaking ahead of time. Just need to set the floats, change the tires and dust it off (I hope).

loudbang, Torkwrench, enloe and 3 others like this.
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jim, no last minute thrash? :D

loudbang and enloe like this.