Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fall Hershey question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27Tudor, Jun 6, 2018.

1. 27Tudor

27Tudor

I know it seems like a long way off but it is only about 3 1/2 months away. I made my reservations already for Thursday through Saturday. My question is about the colored fields. Is there any rhyme or reason to what is in each field or is it random? If I only have 2 days for flea market browsing, are there fields I should do first or last?

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

I have been going to Hershey for a lot of years now and I have never noticed any kind of specific order.
    I've found parts I was looking for in every field so I guess you never know where you're gonna find what you're looking for.
    Only advise I can give is start early, stay late and wear comfortable shoes and clothes.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. pkhammer

pkhammer

It's totally random as far as I know. I highly recommend getting there as early in the week as possible. I set up there on Tuesday morning with friends and take my word for it the good stuff sells early. Get there Wednesday early if possible and plan to stay at least two days. If you're looking for early (think pre-war) parts, Hershey is THE place to be!

4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

What he said. We always hit it hard Wed and Thurs. You can walk your self until you think you will drop but it is the best kind of tired at the end of the day!

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The color fields don't mean much. Over the years their's been blue, red, white, green and chocolate. Race car row is back behind the old outdoor stadium, in front of the original Ice Palace, other than that you may find that elusive goodie hiding anywhere! Enjoy! Edit : oh yeah! How could I forget the ORANGE....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Hershey is totally at random. If you are looking for something common, like Model A parts, you will need to stop at every other flea market stop. If you purchase the Directory of Vendors it might narrow your search.

7. 27Tudor

27Tudor

How many of you pull a wagon the whole way? Or are there "wagon guys" for hire if you find that big item you weren't looking for?

8. oldolds

oldolds

Not many wagons for hire. Bring a wagon. Extra shoes. A cooler with a couple drinks. Have gear packed for every kind of weather. It isn't always doing what the weatherman forecasts.

9. noboD

noboD

As said, MOST of the race car/hot rod stuff is behind the stadium. The chocolate and red field are the oldest, the green and orange the newest. Hit them all.

10. arincee

arincee

When you enter the flea market, stop and buy a directory. It might help you find whatever kind of parts you are looking for.

11. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

The directory list vendors by name ,and what they sell. Model A, ford truck parts,etc. But you may find a Frankland transmission under a table of a guy selling Nash parts. Stop at OAD 1 & 2 and buy some of my junk so I can quick hauling it around LOL

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only reasoning you'll encounter is places where select vendors have set up for years. Well, decades really. Example, now in the green field there's what some called "Packard Row" long ago as in there was more Packard stuff there than other spots as a group. There's club spots where "birds of a feather" may tend to occupy. Past that it's as said above. I found Packard 3003 light bulbs on the extreme opposite side of the meet (nearly a mile walk) from where a lot of Packard stuff was. Anything may be anywhere at Hershey. Beyond personal and physical preparation, be satisfied that you walked and looked, and don't sweat what you missed. 11 years running, the coverage here post-meet ALWAYS has dozens of things I didn't see and I'm there from Tues afternoon through Sat.

13. Steve '36 5W Cp

Steve '36 5W Cp

Sorry, I am new to the Old Ford scene, when is Hershey?

14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Oct 17/18/19/20 I think

15. 5window

5window

This year it is October 10-13. That's a bit late for it. Follow directions to bring money, food, water, changes of socks, comfortable footwear, raingear (a must) and a variety of layers. Here in central PA there could be everything from 80's and sun to snow and cold rain-probably on the same day. Doesn't matter. Have fun

https://www.hersheyaaca.org/fallmeet.html

16. noboD

noboD

It is ALWAYS the first full week of Oct.

17. IronTrap

IronTrap

It's all luck of the draw. The best deals are usually found with the guy that doesn't specialize in what you're after or the guy that hasn't set up in years and set up to clear out his spare parts. You need to be focused and try to avoid distractions to see the entire place and find the good deals. There's enough there for everyone!

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

27 tudor, years ago there were always enterprising kids with wagons for hire. I haven't seen them in a few years. I use one of those upright shopping carts, sometimes called "bag lady carts". It comes in handy, not only for parts but for extra coats, rain gear, water etc. Every hardware store has them for about $30.

19. 27Tudor

27Tudor

Good idea woodiewagon46 but if my luck holds I would then find the one thing I can't live without that won't fit in a granny cart! Like the vintage Craftsman metal lathe I saw at Carlisle last weekend.

20. 27Tudor, I sent you a Conversation (PM).

21. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

We're at GDB 18 and 19. What they all said, but add if you see something you need don't think you'll come back later and find it or it will still be there. Many times the guy walking up to our space wouldn't have noticed something that a guy was fondeling and as soon as he set it down and walked off a deal is made. Don't think the wives watching the spots will go easy with you on prices either. The fresh cut french fries in front of the Giant Center are awsome too, don't go home without having them. If you use a pedometer figure on walking 10 to 15 miles a day and not seeing it all. Our best sale days are Tuesday thru Thursday.

chryslerfan55 and Unkl Ian like this.
  22. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

Hershey will let you drive in to pick it up. All you have to do is ask, sometimes they will make you wait until foot traffic slowes down.

23. Clark

Clark

What days are you considering your 2 days? Venders start leaving Friday and Saturday. On Saturday the further you get from the show field....the less venders you'll see. Wednesday and Thursday are actually the best days

24. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

good thing I was corrected. woulda been a week late and still a dollar short. thanks.

pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. always good to bring a wagon, just in case you see something big you need to bring home.;) IMG_1758.JPG

26. oldolds

oldolds

Looks like a high maintenance purchase! :eek:

27. I have been to Hershey once.
    It's big, too big if you ask me.
    Yes there is a lot of stuff you will only see there. However you are on the move trying to see it and find what you need you can easily walk right by it and never see it.
    Only go if you can take few thousand dollars with you.
    I was on a super tight budget the year I went $1,500 total. That was for parts food and motel. Needless to say I did not buy much!

28. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

how can anything with old cars parts be TOO Big?

29. late model, low mileage, maybe not the cheapest, but good bang for the buck.

30. tb33anda3rd and lothiandon1940 like this.