Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects sacrifice a 41 chev coupe to save convertible?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wurger, Jun 3, 2018.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Does the convertible have a title. You could not fix much, porta power the windshield frame weld in some extra so it will take glass. Move it around enough that the doors, hood, trunk will open and close.
    SBC, TH350, any rear - then drive it, all crusty, lumpy.

Otherwise, lets see the coupe build.

Wurger and chevy57dude like this.
  2. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Looks like the frame might still be under the convertible....?????? If it is, that's probably the most valuable part left of the car. Convertible frames had an "X-member" in the middle for body support on an open car.

Wurger and Hnstray like this.
  3. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

By far ahead just to build the coupe!Money lost spent on the conv.

Wurger likes this.
  4. I don't think there's $500 worth of parts left in that hulk. Anything remotely usable has already been removed. I have doubts about the frame being much good either. It might be badly rusted from years of sitting on the ground when it was in field.

Wurger likes this.
  5. You could make the coupe into a convertible........this car was originally a coupe.

DSCN0529.JPG

Wurger and F&J like this.
  6. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I'm doing a '40 Buick convertible and can confirm that there are visual similarities but many differences. The door structure, the vent windows, the windshield is shorter than the coupe so all the trim is different. The frame is different but only in that they used thicker steel on parts of the frame. Both cars will have x-bracing. I'm with everybody else too. The coupe looks to be in great shape, the convertible only has a data tag and serial number that's any good.

Wurger and craig b blue like this.
  7. So, you;re not really sure what you want. Google 390 car barn find or go to elderlyiron.com Guy has a bunch of projects for sale in Oregon. I am sure you will likely find a better project .

Wurger likes this.
  8. I’m a glutton for punishment. I would use everything possible from the convert to transform the coupe into a cionvert. As for the top mechanism there are tons of similar sized converts that could be used as donors for a functioning top.

I say...go for it!!!!

Wurger and anthony myrick like this.
  9. DANG SKIPPY
    This is the HAMB not the HVMB
    Guys here dig crap out of the earth, under collapsed barns, former derby cars ..........and breath life back in them

Why should a little ole fire stop somebody

Wurger and Hnstray like this.
  10. Indyjps asked the right question. Do the cars have titles?

indyjps and Wurger like this.
  11. Coupe!! We looked all over 4 states in 1979&80 trying to find a nice coupe that people didnt think was made of gold. No reasonable priced coupes were found. Lotsa 2 & 4 dr sedans though. We settled on a peach of a 4 dr. If coupes were rare back then, imagine finding then as easy now......

Wurger likes this.
  12. scotts52

scotts52

13. Wurger

Wurger

I find cars rather I’m looking or not so it seems lol, if I were to ever post something and have everybody say jump on it then I would I’ve got a barn with no animals so cars will do, at least I won’t have to feed them or shovel their shit i’m full speed ahead on my 29 Hudson but I try not to talk about it on here too much because it’s going to be a stocker.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71, Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  14. Wurger

Wurger

They do not however with that being said titles are pretty easy to be had in Washington state if they are under the classic fold.

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. Wurger

Wurger

Far from a stupid mistake, no money has been exchanged or lost. It would have been a stupid mistake if I didn’t come here to get advice.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep........well played.......you were open to opinions to assist with your decision whether or not to pursue the deal.

Ray

Wurger likes this.