Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Least Likely Custom?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Least Likely Custom?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. You are correct. And with that sleek, wide front end and hooded quad lights the front would lend itself well to being customized.

I vaguely remember a "restyling" illustration of the 1959 Mercury in one of the little mags.....

kidcampbell71 and Jonnie King like this.
  3. I almost forgot about @Kommuter's wagon.
    Wagon 1.jpg

4. Squablow

Squablow

Have seen many early customs use those tail lights, usually along with a generous portion of quarter panel, and a few that used that cool rectangle grille to fill in an opening.

I'm sitting on a complete set of the woody trim from a '59 Colony Park just hoping a wagon comes along that I could put it on. These cars have a super cool dash in them, and gigantic MEL motors too!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

These type of designed autos of this period were better known as "Flat Boats". Wide, long, and flat.

6. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

A few years ago I encountered a derelict car that I couldn't quite identify. The overall shape and detailing said "Mercury" but the trim was wrong. Sure enough, a quick online search revealed it was Canadian, a '59 Monarch Sceptre. With the golden crown badging and gothic "Sceptre" script on the front fenders, it seemed like perfect material for a sled. That car was the only example I've ever run across, but I'd love to see one customized!

Squablow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. flamingokid

flamingokid

Some cars lend themselves to be customized, others to be accentuated or highlighted. The Merc fits the latter category.

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

[​IMG]
    It's a lower trim lever example, but..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/unclegal/15201485010/lightbox/

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

Like the Continental Mark II. Only needs some subtle touches. It would be easy to go too far.

flamingokid likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

I never heard of a Monarch Sceptre, so I had to look it up. Holy shit, did they actually come like this? 8 tail lights, none of which are reverse lights, 6 shared with the '59 Edsel? Gold Rolex crowns stacked up like cordwood? This thing is WILD!

Mercury Monarch (35).jpg

11. The early 50's Mercurys were a young man's dream but by the end of the decade, for some reason, they seemed to become associated with a generally older crowd. This is just my unscientific opinion of what might be a reason for fewer 1959 customs. Whatever the reason, they are certainly good fodder for custom treatments. Keep the pictures coming.

I wonder if there were fewer '59 Merc 2-door hardtops produced than other makes.(?)

12. 62rebel

62rebel

Reminds me of a (60?) Impala I saw in a salvage yard with TEN taillights spread across the rear end! What would have been killer would have been if the owner had used the relays like the T-bird and Cougar did to make them flash sequentially!

61Cruiser likes this.
  13. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

I think there would be a LOT of cars more unlikely than the Mercury. For instance: Tucker 48s, Nash Metropolitans, Frasiers, Jeep station wagons, Nash Healeys, and Powell pickups. I'm sure this thread could go on for a long time if other people added to this list.

14. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Lower it, shave the excess chrome, and apply panel paint... Your done.

CCC-larry-watson-mercury-14.jpg

15. 34Larry

34Larry

My dad bought one new. A mordoor turnpike cruiser, orchid and cream color combo. He out of the blue offered it to me for the prom. It blew me away that he did and I did take it. Not to the prom though like he thought. Only squares and spares went to proms. Guys went cruisn with a little drag race'n. It went pretty good, pushbutton shift as I recall. All went well, I didn't wreck it, and the word I got the prom was a bore. But to turn that boat into a custom would have been monumental.

61Cruiser likes this.
  16. From all the searching I did, I don't think any Monarch came from the factory looking like this. Those are just Edsel tail lights someone added as well as the extra crown.
    [​IMG]

17. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

I've got one not custom just bone stock put about five thousand miles on it in the five years I've had it.

Just for fun I took side by side pics with my 2003. 20170527_171948.jpg 20170527_171928.jpg

18. Even though I have an '01 Crown Vic Interceptor and should be partial to the '03 Merc, I'd take that '59 anytime.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guys that bought them new were older guys who either couldn't swing a Lincoln or bought the Mercury even though they could afford a Lincoln because the Mercury wasn't seen as showing off. Pretty much the same as guys who bought Buicks rather than Cadillacs. They weren't much into customizing. Mom had a few early 50's Mercuries then had a 57 Monterey 2 door that got traded for a 58 Colony park. She could wheel both of those. Car nut that I was in my early teens I never gave a thought to what either would look customized.

20. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

I sold my '59 Parklane convert to collector in Sweden. He has since completed the restoration. He belongs to a club there that is exclusively '59 Mercs.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Rand Man

Rand Man

I’ve got my eye on a ‘59 Parklane sitting in a local field. It will probably sit there for several more years, as the owner seems to think it’s of museum quality, or plated with unobtainium. I think they rate as one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Any changes I would make would be pretty mild, other than lowering and really nice paint/interior. IMG_0350.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. 392

Different and thumbs up. All odd ones appeal to me. It’s not a belly button which is cool.

23. Rand Man

Rand Man

Here’s a stocker, just to show that shaving the door handles is a reasonable mod. It would bring out the rocket shape on the side.

[​IMG]

24. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Funny thing is, before you mentioned it, I didn't even see the rocket shape.
    I guess I grew up in the wrong era.

Phil

Rand Man likes this.
  25. Rand Man

Rand Man

It’s all about the rockets man.

[​IMG]

26. So you’re saying you’re a, umm,rocket man?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Belair235

Belair235

I had a 59 Montclair with the 383 4bbl, that was the wildest looking car I ever owned. The room between the front seat and the dash on the passenger side... you could hold a sock hop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rand Man likes this.
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You didn't have to customize them, they came that way from the factory. This was the era when custom bodywork became unnecessary and Larry Watson could lay on a custom paint job, lower it slightly and you were done.
    THE most unlikely full custom is the Modern Grecian 1947 Studebaker Land Cruiser 4 door sedan customized by George Barris not once but twice. What the hell were they thinking?

29. Rand Man

Rand Man

Paso John posted this one on the Kustom Blues thread. Not far from stock, but looks great. [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Sancho like this.