Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects sacrifice a 41 chev coupe to save convertible?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wurger, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Wurger

Wurger

For the cost of 1500 bucks I can have the pictured coupe and pictured convertible both special deluxe models. I love the look of a coupe but also that of the topless look with that being said I think a convertible will always fetch more. The only way I can see saving the convertible is to remove the top section off of the coupe and off the convertible and swap ( in a nut shell) However it would be done The coupe would still end up a donor. It appears that the convertible has been involved in a small brush fire ( field car) so that’s always going to be a bitch to get paint to stick etc. I understand there would be a lot of work involved but I am retired and still young. I’ve come across quite a few project car since getting out of the army and have passed up on a bunch thanks in part to the H.A.M.B.’s insight. So here I am back again with another crazy idea! thanks in advance. IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1571.JPG
    IMG_2253.JPG
    IMG_2254.JPG IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2116.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. ems customer service

ems customer service

forget the convert, to badly damaged, no top irons!!!!!! massive money pit even if you could find the top irons

the coupe is a builder!

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with above post. And, I am a years ago prior owner of '41 Convertible and love the '41s in general. But there is nothing I can see on that convt body, that is unique and important to a ragtop, that is salvageable or worth the effort. And that doesn't even begin to address the missing parts. Parts for the '41 'A' body convertibles (shared by Chev, Pont, Olds Buick) are scarce, really scarce.

Your idea itself, using an unrestorable convertible for a donor, is okay and something I could see myself doing with the '41 Buick Sport Coupe I have. But the car pictured above is a 'goner' everywhere that matters.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    kidcampbell71, tinsled and Wurger like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^^x3. Way better off with Coupe. Unless you really love a challenge;)

tuckpoint and Wurger like this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I've done a similar conversion with an off topic convertible and hardtop donor and it turned out nice and I'd do it again for the right car. But in this case, the convertible donor has very little to donate, and I'm generally a lot more optimistic about that kind of stuff than others are.

Both door tops are really badly mangled and burn-rusted, the windshield frame is badly mangled and all of the key moldings and components are already missing, the boot well molding is there but super rough and the boot well itself is really badly smashed. No top irons, no seats (?), no window frames that I can see.

I'd be damned impressed if someone could pull it off, but It'd be a shame to cut up the coupe if it never gets completed, and I'm not seeing it.

6. Not trying to be a dick, but I wouldn't even use that convertible body for yard art.

craig b blue, Clay Belt and Wurger like this.
  7. I'm partial to the coupe ;):D

craig b blue, czuch and Wurger like this.
  8. Wurger

Wurger

I come here for the non-sugar coated cookies, thanks my friend!

czuch and 6inarow like this.
  9. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Fix the coupe. If you have to have a ragtop then find another.
    Pete

Wurger likes this.
  10. dang, that vert is bad
    a friend of mine saved a early 50s Pontiac convertible by using a hard top for a donor
    he used the top of the WS frame and tops of the QTRs and swapped over the conv roof braces
    for your conversion you would also have to graft the door tops as well/modify where the door top frame would be removed.
    still looks like you need the vert roof bows
    I bet the original vert chassis had some braces added by the factory

I know what I would do if it were a 49-51 Merc
    I would cruise a drop top Merc

either way the same number of cars will be saved
    who knows, maybe you will find a coupe thats has been on its roof for years or suffered a butchered chop to use the coupe roof on

czuch likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is like marriage, do you LOVE '41 Chevy's? Is the world out of attractive ones? Bob

ClarkH, kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. this 41 Buick has similar lines and is awesome
    41 buick.jpg
    this 41 chevy has a nice tail dragger look
    41 chevy.jpg
    a search didnt find a lot of customized 41 convs
    that might help the value

13. It's got two sides. I'd split it down the middle and hang half on the shop wall. Couple wheels with wide whites. Maybe push the dents out.

Nailhead A-V8 and Wurger like this.
  14. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

....Jim Sibley is from WA, right?

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to want to think that even Jim Sibley wold pass on that one. There just flat isn't enough usable material there to make it work. Bent some and not burned it might be something that one with a lot of skill could carry off but bent and burned isn't going to be easy to deal with on a good day.

Wurger likes this.
  17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Grass fire....
    Nope that was a full blown car fire. Extra crispy!
    The convertible used to be a car. Now it's toast. What wasn't rusted out is burned out and to top it off it's beat to hell.
    It looks like a prop from a bombed out WWII street fight scene.

There's just something about Post Wood Pre War GM Coupes. With the Coupe you have all the challenge one could ever need.......and more.

flatford39 and tuckpoint like this.
  18. FWIW, I have a not burned but similarly rough '40 convertible, in pieces, it has top bows, the frame X, door tops, the windshield frame is mashed and what's left could be fit in the back of a full size pickup I think. It sat upside down, and when flipped back over, the frame broke into pieces.

Yes, 40 and 41 are different but on a project of this magnitude it probably doesn't matter that much.

19. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

hmm nothing against the fat '40's but that chev seems to be surrounded by '20's-'30's tin...I'd buy one of them and stick the biggest engine I could find in it....but that's just me
    p.s. I hate it when people try to sell burnt cars pretty low imho

Clay Belt likes this.
  20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Great idea, if there were anything salvageable left on that ragtop.

On the other hand, if you make a deal on the car/cars I've got a LOT of 41/48 chevy trim and such to move to a deserving home. Just a long ways away from you in Nebraska

Wurger likes this.
  21. Not worth the effort & also TOO much $$$$$$ for the lot of them. Keep searching & you will find a better deal. Haste makes waste.

22. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

23. One in every thread, I guess. $1000 for the coupe and $500 for the burned convertible sounds like a deal to me. Convert may not be saveable but I'm sure you could do the $500 back out of the parts on it.

Wurger and 46international like this.
  24. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

And I thought I made stupid mistakes, LOL

25. adam401

adam401

I think they're both buildable. I don't think the coupe will be needed. Straighten out the convertible and Carson top it. You'll have 500 bucks in oxy acedaline re- annealing the sheet metal on that convertible to get it into shape if it is in fact burned. Fire burns off the carbon in the surface of the steel and makes it brittle and stubborn like iron. I'm no expert but I've straightened some fucked up old cars. For example here's my next project

20170515_150101_Film1_1527879723563.jpg

26. If you think it is such great deal ,buy it & fix up your 41. You could probably fit it in the bed of a pickup when you dismantle it

Wurger likes this.
  27. chargin03

chargin03

28. $1500 coupe and a free roached conv
    cool

Wurger, 46international and Hnstray like this.