Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features LSR Racing at Blytheville?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lake_harley, May 25, 2018.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

Any interesting info available regarding LSR racing at Blytheville, AR on the weekend of June 2, 2018? I saw it on the ECTA (I think) website, but was wondering if anyone has any particular info or input that's not on the website. I guess it's still a go?

Thanks

Lynn

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

June 2-3 / September 28-30, Blytheville-Gosnell Regional Aeroplex , 4701 Memorial Dr , ecta-lsr.net

loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang likes this.
  4. loudbang likes this.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've never attended a ECTA meet. Are the pit areas accessible to spectators? Can a spectator (me) listen in on the rookie orientation and driver/crew meetings to get a bit of a feel for what it takes to compete at an ECTA event and/or get a better understanding about the way a meet is run?

I understand the runway (course) at Blytheville is a tick over 2 miles total. Since I've never been to an event like this it's my guess that the speed is recorded at the 1 mile point and the remainder is left for shut down? Where are the designated spectator areas along the length of the course? Providing I read it correctly, the meet is limited to 150 entries and then a waiting list is started?

These are probably all dumb, simple questions for those of you who have watched or participated in a LSR event, but I am certainly planning to attend and would really appreciate some input to make the day more enjoyable and meaningful. I know oval track stock car racing pretty well (street stocks, modifieds, late models, limited late models) but having watched and participated (as a car owner) at a lot of oval track races I can only imagine the confusion to a first-time oval track attendee if they have no one to explain what's going on. I didn't really find much detail about this weekend's ECTA event on their website to know what to expect and/or look forward to.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn

6. Lynn, it is my observation that if your not too far away, just come over and pay the $10 spectator fee. Bring a camera, some walking shoes, a hat, sunscreen, a lawn chair, a lot of hydration, and have a good time! They say it's supposed to be in the high 90's and 100% humidity. Typical here!

This place is a huge old military base with miles of concrete and plenty of room. You will have more questions than they will have time to answer, but everybody is very nice and very accommodating. Most of your questions will answer themselves.

I went to an Ohio Mile meet a few years back and signed up, and the president of the association actually drove me around and gave me a personal tour! :cool:

Call me if you come and we can run around together. Fri. and Sat. I'll be at the car show. Sunday I'll be at the races. I sent you a PM. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm only ~2 Hours away from Blytheville so I am planning to be there on Saturday. I'll try to get together with you.

Lynn

8. I used to go when it was here in NC at Maxton airport.. Once you paid your spectator admission ,you could pretty much go anywhere. We sat in on the driver/crew pre-race meetings , wandered all over the pits and ventured up toward the start line to watch the procedure..Any thing off-limits was plainly marked.
    We took bicycles , CB radio , big hats & plenty of sunscreen , set up a pop-up for shade relief,. Once we took coolers full of water & cold towels to hand out to anyone as a friendship gesture. We always had a great time . Its really low-key ,as long as you don't get stupid...
    The racers are great about sharing build info ,as long as they are not busy..Met some very nice gearheads..and saw some incredible high-speed cars & bikes of all descriptions.

Hated to see it leave NC ..Haven't been since it moved to Ohio and now Arkansaa is way out of the question
    Stan

loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Turbo26T....That is the kind of info I was wanting to know. I was hoping I could mingle right in with the actual competitors and it sounds like that's the case. (with hand on Bible and the other raised) "I promise to not make a nuisance of myself!" :)

Lynn

10. Lynn : Thats how it was when Joe Timney and the Turks were running it here in NC.
    I cant imagine that its any different now ,although i think it got some new management . Still , its a great time...very different from any racing you`re used to...beware though ,its easy to get hooked ... i was ready to build a vehicle til i found out they were having to move....it was only 75 miles away and we went every chance for the last 4 years they ran at Maxton ....

11. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Was like that at Willmington when I was last there. People wander through the pits at Loring also different timing org.

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. No more often that my wife comes to my shop I could have something built pretty far along before she'd even notice it.....especially with all of the other stuff I have. :rolleyes:

Her....."what's that?"
    Me...."Errr.....Ummm...."

I hope to have a good chance to assess cars that appeal to me, the construction and the speeds they run. I'd imagine the largest expense would be the engine. Might be a fun thing to do a couple times a year in some sort of small displacement, lower-speed class.

Lynn

pitman likes this.
  13. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

Please look me up with my 2006 Mustang that took Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner at 221 mph last meet. Bright Red with a Hamb friendly 1962 Nova wagon push car. We will show you the tour and answer any questions. The car is street legal in one of its forms and has run 236.8421 mph at the last meet in Ohio before moving to AR.

loudbang likes this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not to sure about ECTA. SCTA, safety stuff adds up very quickly. $$$

15. lake_harley

lake_harley

nosnhojguy.....I will definitely be looking for you!

RichFox....I'm sure you're right that the overall costs still add up, but as far as cost, enjoyment, time available and the time that I'm willing to commit to racing, and many other things, it wouldn't be the constant drain like a dirt track car. Certainly less of the weekly grind of a dirt car that is likely to suffer at least some damage every-stinking-week! It's been about 20 years since I owned a dirt modified and I guess I just wasn't single minded enough to want to devote my entire "spare" time to prepping and repairing a car all Summer. My trouble (my wife could probably elaborate here) is that I like almost all things with an engine....hot rods, motorcycles, race cars of many types, airplanes. With me it's like, what toy today? Drives my wife crazy with all of my new schemes.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday!

Lynn

tractorguy likes this.
  16. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

ECTA and LTA safety rules pretty much the same as SCTA with very subtle differences between the 3 organizations. Just about the same equipment required so costs are just about the same.

Ed

loudbang likes this.
  17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

18. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I will be there running my S10 truck. I went to the last meet and it was great except for the rain and wind. I attended last year and the local car show is great. See y’all there!

Montana1 likes this.
  19. lake_harley

lake_harley

Went to Blytheville today. Took a non-car-guy friend along and when we got back he talked like he would like to go again. Cool!

The car/motorcycle count was smaller than everyone hoped I would guess, but I don't think ECTA really expected a capacity car count. There were entries of every description from a stock, older VW running 71 MPH to the what I believe was the "Big Red Camaro" than ran just a tick over 240 MPH before we left. Fast bike was a tick over 200, a steam powered motorcycle that ran over 70 MPH and cars and trucks of EVERY description. Oh, and I forgot.....a tractor.

Montana1....sorry, but I never made it over to the car show.

nosnhojguy....it was great meeting, talking and joking around with you and your crew! I forget what kind of speeds you ran but I do recall it was nothing to sneeze at!

Choppedcoupe....was it you with the silver or gray S-10? If it was, that's a pretty quick truck! I wish now I had looked for you too.

I am easily drawn to a lot of things but I think I'll have to be careful that I don't get too attached to land speed racing......it's not like I have already marked the dates on our calendar for the September meet or anything.... ;)
    I don't suppose anyone near Missouri has a drop tank lying around just collecting dust?

Lynn

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  20. I understand. If I wasn't working, I'd be out there too! :cool: But anyway, I'm glad you had a nice time in spite of the 100+ temps.

21. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

Montana1 likes this.
  22. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i have some drop tanks in SW Ga for sale.
    And,i have a Maxton record holding comp coupe,57 fiat for sale too.
    No engine,but it has a new super T-10 and a fresh quick change,2 runs on the tranny and 1 run on the quicky.
    The car has been to Bonneville too,it passed the Bonneville inspection with no problem.
    The car has been in the trailer since Maxton closed down.Ohio was simply too far to go.
    I had a Mercruiser 4 banger in it and then a Northstar Cadillac,it ran 186 at Bonneville with the 183 inch banger.
    165 at maxton with a stock junkyard Northstar with headers and intake/carb.
    352 538 3435 for info.

23. Do you have pics of the tanks? I've been looking for one.

24. Saw this today near Wal-Mart after the races...Blytheville, AR
    IMG_2163.JPG

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    dwollam likes this.
  25. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

I think his fastest run was 201 this weekend. He became a member off the 200 club by setting a record over 200mph Mine in my mustang was 238.1 mph

Montana1 likes this.
  26. Do you happen to know what he had in it? The motor was wrapped up and I couldn't tell. BTW, 238.1 - very respectable!