Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Big Buick

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 1, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Big Buick

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

catdad49, kidcampbell71 and LAROKE like this.
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the two years of the best looking Buicks! I prefer the '37 because of the more numerous grille bars. Here's a link dedicated to those two years: http://1937and1938buicks.com/

tb33anda3rd and belair like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

437A9C06-5966-4166-8E47-1157F111D582.jpeg

My pride and joy.....;)

I most love the Buick’s from the mid/late ‘30s thru ‘41, but am a Buick fan in general. I have had several.......a few ‘41 Sedanets, a ‘40 Super Coupe and a ‘49 Roadmaster. Currently the ‘38 pictured above and a ‘41 Special Sport Coupe (not a Sedanet....uses the GM A body like Chevy.)

Ray

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Ok, I'm 80 years old and started school in 1944. Things were different then for kids from now, and I walked to school every day, rain or shine, slightly over a mile, and somewhat shorter if I took a shortcut thru a big field, walking a footlog over a creek along the way.
    My home, the same one I live in today BTW, is 1 ridge to the West of the school and somewhat higher in elevation.
    The school had a coal fired boiler for steam heat, and the janitor had the responsibility of getting there early and firing up the furnace to heat the boiler and thereby heat the school.
    He drove a big, black, shiny, beautiful Buick limousine that had the dual spare tires set into the rear side of the front fenders on each side. Being a young kid then, and it being 74 years ago, I'm unsure if it was a '37 or '38, but even then I was enough of a gearhead to now be certain it was one or the other.
    I could see that big Buick for the whole time I walked down thru that field till I got too low in elevation, and then again as I got to the school yard. Always admired it, and to this day have always had the desire to build one similar with modern running gear, engine, suspension and brakes.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  5. mmmmmmmm Buick. would take that over any ford of the same era......

gggholson and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

How about a picture of your Big Ol' 37?

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you that think Ebbspeed and Ebbsspeed are one and the same, they are not. Ebb's Speed Shop was born by Ed, Bob and Brian, hence the Ebb.
    I am Bob, and Ebbspeed is Brian. Ed has newer muscle, and isn't on the HAMB.

You asked for it Mr. Miller. Here 'tis..... 20171027_102638.jpg 20171027_102656.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  8. 37-38 Buicks are triple cool, especially the Centurys. When I was in 6th grade I'd walk to the high school to catch my bus home every school day. Even in our little town there were 2 guys with 38 Buick sedans...I believe they were Roadmashers. One was a dark Maroon with wide whites and on the lower front fenders, behind the tires it said "Untouchable" in old english lettering. The other one was a dark navy blue, also with wide whites and in the same spot it had lettered "Elliot Ness"....also had a little caricature of a short gangster with a gray overcoat, his hat pulled down and a tommy guy in his hands with a wisp of smoke coming out of the barrel right next to the name. Both had dual sidemounts and sat low with about 8 kids piled into each one.......they cruised together around the high school. I never forgot those buicks.

catdad49 and dirty old man like this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49

Uncle Joe had a black '39 mordoor sedan. Man, What a Car!

gggholson likes this.
  10. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

I have thought about changing my handle because of the Ebbsspeed Ebbspeed thing is so close. I do know one thing, I think that Buick needs to be taken on a fast ride to blow the dust off.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:confused: thank you for clarifying that...........:)

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I also was thoroughly confused by that.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Leave it be Brian. There's a lot more confusing stuff posted on this board than a couple ID's that vary by one simple "s".

For instance, when anything electrical is being discussed, or when someone says that an engine overheats because the coolant is moving too fast through the system.

czuch likes this.
  14. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed it is.

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Sure do miss my big ol' Buick...

smDSC_4797.jpg

20 feet of two-seater sure does make a statement, dwarfs most other '30s hot rod fodder...

smIMG_0133.jpg

302GMC, 40two, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  16. bhemi

bhemi

This is exactly what I am going to do with my '37 businessman coupe. My nailhead is going to be a 401 and I am going 5 or 6 speed manual with an open drive line and a 9 inch. I love body lines so few if any mods. I like the stock interior so maybe upgrade the materials add A/C and I am good. 1937driversside.jpg

quick85 likes this.
  17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

These was taken in 1974:

Stillwell 75 - 11.JPG

Stillwell 75 - 2.JPG

Hnstray and 302GMC like this.
  18. atch

atch

I sold my '39 Buick to someone who wanted it more than I did. Big mistake and I've regretted it ever since.

19. A couple of acres of hood, out to the horizon from the driver's perspective. :cool:
    It's like a wedding cake in a pack of birthday cakes. :cool: :cool: