Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration <<< Friday Art Show 6/1/18 >>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, May 31, 2018.

1. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Nothing new this week ..........

14460001364_40e346d1f6_k.jpg

2. Great picture Bob. I just added some water colors to an older sketch tonight.:)
    20180531_225421.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

louisb, b-bop, chriseakin and 34 others like this.
  3. louisb, chriseakin, GaryC. and 21 others like this.
  4. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Been playing with the vintage art of colorizing B&W photos using oil gels. Couple snapshots of pieces that will go with an exhibit next week. 20180522_185044.jpg 20180514_162143.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Messing around with Photoshop. A third image save...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Woogeroo, louisb, chriseakin and 30 others like this.
  6. GaryC.

GaryC.

1932 Ford Bubble Kustom.
    An 8/10 scale, fiberglass Deuce roadster body, an EcoTech V6 in the rear, big wheels and kustom paint.
    Bring back the big 60s indoor exhibitions with their show rods and kustoms!
    Composite Bubble 32.png

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. GaryC.

GaryC.

An inspiring story brings an old roadster into the future.
    Citroën arrived at the Montlhéry race track in 1933 with a special 8CV. It was called “Petite Rosalie” thanks to its cut-down, skimpy two-seater body. The idea was to see how far the car could be driven, non-stop, with a team of drivers. Five ACF officials and eight timekeepers kept a close eye on the operations. The car ran for 133 days and nights, and only stopped when it had covered over 186,000 miles (300,000km). This incredible total — 120,000 laps at an average speed of 58mph (93kph) brought Citroën enormous publicity. Petite Rosalie also broke or established 300 other records. Before long, the name Rosalie became a byword for dependability.

from…
    http://www.dieselpunks.org/profiles/blogs/lord-k-s-garage-142-la-petite-rosalie
    Citroen "Le Petite Rosalie" Roadster.png

8. Dirt Drags are happening in Colorado this weekend so, in honor of the event...

Bell_Roadster_Dirt_Drags_4web.jpg

9. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

Um.....not exactly HAMB material, but since I don't belong to any other car forums, I'm gonna post it here anyway. A commissioned piece for an automotive fiction novelist.....
    Desert Rental small.jpg Desert Rental
    Oil on Canvas
    22" X 36"

10. Incredible work Ruben. Those long, flat, desert surfaces are a pain in the but aren't they? Well, you nailed it. Great depth of field and incredible realism sir!

11. mark schanfeldt

mark schanfeldt

12. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Wow Ruben, I thought that was a photograph. Awesome work

13. I added some water colors to this old truck. (RUST IS MY FAVORITE COLOR):) 20180531_221247.jpg

louisb, b-bop, mkebaird and 35 others like this.
  14. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-6-1_3-28-47.png
    1951 Plymouth Coupe, beach transport camouflaged…

Hello,

We were teenage surfers with a goal in mind from 1960 to 65. We were not going to let the “best” waves on the West Coast go unridden at Camp Pendleton’s Lower Trestles. We would do most anything to get into that government military base to ride the best. So, we found a way to get into the property unseen. We spent most of the previous day’s afternoon clearing out the scrub bushes behind a couple of rows of trees.

It was safe, (at the time) as the Marine Jeep Patrols stayed on the main clearing and designated Jeep Road. We drove off of that road, raked up the leftover tire trails and headed into the deeper grove of trees and “jungle.” When we got to the place, our vans and cars needed more stealth (today’s term).

So, a huge clearing was carved into the inner circle of bushes and trees. The tire trail leading into the hidden grove got the rake treatment. The opening entrance for the vans, wagons, and cars also received some fake tree limbs buried into the ground to keep the line of trees uniform. (changed weekly) The vehicles (4-5) all got spare branches on top and on the sides.

It was a masterpiece, no one knew we were inside of this forested area. When we were on a mid-day break from surfing, we could walk back to the clearing, have lunch, take a nap, talk about the waves, and feel safe from the roving Jeep Patrols. The longest residence was a “4 day vacation lodging” during a big swell week of the summer. Who would think of people living just off of the freeway, in a jungle, just to be able to ride some fabulous waves?

But, we had to do that walking back and forth without alerting any other surfers still on the beach. Most thought we were going off of the base to get some food and water. We were, but it was located in our cars/wagons/vans just across the railroad tracks in the tall trees and bushes. Our entry was in the dark early morning. The exit was later in the evening so as not to alert the Marines or other surfers walking out of the Marine Base.

Once we got back to Seal Beach, out came the left over paints, brushes and rags. The 51 Plymouth Coupe got the complete, camouflage paint job, including the rubber tires. Now, this was really camouflage ! The coupe stuck out on the PCH highway all the way down to San Clemente and back.

In the jungle, it looked like just more scrub bushes mixed in with the rest of the plants/trees. Yes!

The battles continued for at least a year, before the Marines or someone set a controlled burn of the whole jungle area between the freeway and inland of the railroad tracks. It was a clearing that opened up views of the ocean, but now, there was no where to hide. Boooo…

Jnaki
    upload_2018-6-1_3-29-43.png
    Original, Hobie Surfshop, Dana Point on PCH

One of our part time jobs was to drive down from Seal Beach to Dana Point to the original Hobie Store and Board Factory on PCH. We drove there to pick up finished surfboards and bring them back to Ole’s Surfshop in Seal Beach. (post 174 Vintage Surf Transportation) So, the scenario was this camouflaged 51 Plymouth Coupe with at least two rows of 5 surfboards on each side. Only two surfers inside the coupe and at least 10 boards on top.
    upload_2018-6-1_3-31-2.png
    This was the ultimate teenage surfer’s coastal cruise. The boards were colorful, new, and the whole car/board(s) scene drew attention of everyone on the highway. 2 surfers and 10+ boards??? When we stopped for lunch at the Husky Boy Burgers in North Laguna Beach, it was the hit of the city.

Our teenage egos could not be bigger at that moment, stopping at Merle’s in Newport for a snack, Huntington Beach for a quick cruise of the pier parking lot then, driving up the coast to Seal Beach. The looks, the comments, phone numbers, etc…all played into the surfer look and lifestyle.

The paint on the tire edge did not last long, but, the paint on the sidewalls did last a long time. It looked out of place on the highway, but definitely at home in the pre-burn jungle at Camp Pendleton.

16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Great start as always !

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Another front end.

louisb, chriseakin, GaryC. and 21 others like this.
  18. georgeg

georgeg
    from Il

19. ...nice stuff so far,. Ron, like the colored sketches,...here's a couple I may make into posters to sell...
    posters 002.jpg posters 016.jpg

louisb, b-bop, chriseakin and 29 others like this.
  20. @Dago 88 I hope you don't mind but I just had to clean up that photo.
    The graffiti ruined it for me. And I removed the cup.
    iohugutn.jpg

louisb, pwschuh, chriseakin and 19 others like this.
  21. sololobo

sololobo

smoking hot show already gang

georgeg, robber and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

Well, this one might be a tad controversial, but it's all I've got this week.

PH017-0518-L.jpg

Well, there's this one too, but a bit OT.

DIG-104-0518-L.JPG

louisb, chriseakin, Animal and 17 others like this.
  23. Wow so much cool stuff today. Thanks rusty, that means a lot coming from you. I love your Art so much! Here's another rusty water color.Thanks everyone 20180531_223857.jpg

louisb, chriseakin, GaryC. and 24 others like this.
  24. ...couple more...
    fri art 17 003.jpg fri art 17 051.jpg

louisb, b-bop, chriseakin and 28 others like this.
  25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I know everyone thinks I only do land speed photos, which is mostly true, but her is one I had some fun with.
    This sign has been on Jim Travis' fence longer than most have been alive...
    Kendal Oil.jpg

26. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Ok here is my Land Speed Shot of the Week
    Williams Bros.jpg

chriseakin, Animal, themoose and 17 others like this.
  27. My Bonneville picture . Not you guys quality but kind of artsy.
    Great show , thanks .
    35F287DB-3471-40AD-93AB-14DE71939D4A.jpeg

louisb, chriseakin, GaryC. and 21 others like this.
  28. kenmo

kenmo

Fantastic creation. Would be awesome hanging on any hotrodder's wall....