Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Love the truck .. but the color????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jesse Brody, May 31, 2018.

1. Jesse Brody

Jesse Brody
    from Miami Fl

So I almost bought this truck 4 years ago from the original owner in South Carolina but we could not made a deal. A few weeks ago it pops up in CA on Ebay and the new owner excepted my offer. I love how solid of a build it is. They did a good job but I always wanted a black 35-36. Anyways the previous owner added wheels and Air ride. I just dont know what to do about the color. A color change repaint would be very expensive. I am wondering if I repaint the silver/tan top and hood if it will look better as a solid color. What do you think? I dont like the 2 tone but wondering if other feel the same as I do. 1.jpg 8.jpg 2.jpg

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The dog agrees!

biggeorge, tommyd, mgtstumpy and 11 others like this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice truck! Step up and paint it black or try to match the maroon and do the top side.

40FORDPU, raven, rc57 and 3 others like this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I believe I'd paint the truck.

kiwijeff and Stogy like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scrounger very nice of you to call it maroon...and if it was all that bottom color it might even be more tolerable as you say.

Well Jesse a paint job is pricey but a lot of us wish that was the biggest hurdle we have to cross...nice new toy ya got...;)

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree; it would look much better in one solid color. The "maroon" looks a little too "pinkish" for me, but maybe it'll be better when it's all the same color. Oh yeah, recover the running boards while you're at it.

Stogy likes this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Your dog is two toned but the truck shouldn’t be. I would paint at least the top side..

8. i don't think the colors are coming across correctly on my computer. silver, orange and raspberry? or was the previous owner a woman?

swade41, The37Kid, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

I understand and if it really drives you crazy paint it but..........ya know what? I'd drive the wheels off it and not worry about the color!
    Rather than that "maroon".....how about making it that gray?
    JM2cents

Hnstray and RMR&C like this.
  10. Terrible80

Terrible80

Woogeroo, firstinsteele and kbgreen like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your computer is fine see fido's face he won't even pee on it...:D...just kidding

King ford, Montana1 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. Make Henry Ford proud. Paint it black.

Nailhead Jason and Rick & Jan like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jesse one other thing since this is a form of opinions discussion...the signals front and back could use a more fitting period look of your choice and I am sure you did notice.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Drive the truck, save the money for braces for the dog

czuch, Hamtown Al, swade41 and 12 others like this.
  15. Yea, it looks like a lipstick commercial coming down the street. :oops:
    The simplest thing to do (cost, time, etc.) is to repaint the running boards, fenders and spare cover to match the top. That's not a perfect answer, I'll grant you, but it could be a step in the right direction. If you try it and still can't live with it, you won't have wasted too much.
    Nice truck otherwise. :rolleyes:

czuch, Hnstray, treb11 and 1 other person like this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

A very nice truck! Drive it. Paint it when you can.

joel, 54EARL and j hansen like this.
  17. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I agree on the directional lights and suggest a Photoshop color change for testing.
    And get rid of that orange stripe first, that may cure most.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cactus1 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. Jesse Brody

Jesse Brody
    from Miami Fl

Thanks for the comments.. Im considering 33 commercial headlamps with build in signals. For the rear Im going to remove that roll pan with the lights and go OEM with the bumper and lights. I m not sure if the holes for the original brackets are still there? Hopefully someone did not take the die cutter to them.

19. 62rebel

62rebel

Great truck, I agree. Typical South Carolina Street Rod color scheme. Too fussy and wrong combo. Save up to paint it, but drive it like it is until then.

20. Black fade to raspberry
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

czuch, kiwijeff, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  21. Look for local college auto body night class. might take a couple classes but will be a fraction of the cost.

22. Jesse Brody

Jesse Brody
    from Miami Fl

That raspberry is close to the color but the flake makes it look much better.

23. That's 2012 dodge furious fuchsia on dark sealer

It was just an idea to paint as least as possible and get something better.

Complete color change would be in order there and not cheap

24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Maybe try some easy off on the fender pinstripes and paint the orange stripe black. That might be enough to tie it in. The raspberry isn't that bad, and the brownish isn't that bad. Just that orange sucks

25. 392

I’d paint. Rear shot is ok. Front shot kills it.

26. belair

belair

Maybe paint the whole truck the color of the top. Maybe. But if neither color floats your boat, spend the money and labor once and go with a color you like best (black is the color you like best).

clem likes this.
  27. I’d just drive the truck and enjoy it without apology. It’s too nice to pull apart and after you’ve had it awhile you might just get attached to it like it is.

My red 32 car had a bunch of things I wanted to change on it but after it showed up on the transport truck I decided it was too nice to screw with. So, I ended up just fixing some things on the cheap and let it ride as is.

I’m so glad now I resisted the urge to blow it apart and I’m really happy with how the car looks and drives.

Fixing a few small things now will help your attitude about it and give you time to decide how far you want to go with it later.

I like it personally.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    AmishMike, Montana1 and patmanta like this.
  28. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’d paint it all the maroon color as soon as I can and not over think it. Being one color would bring it back to traditional. Drive it and enjoy it and when the time is right paint it black.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For whatever it's worth, I think the 2-tone is 'street roddy'. Have it photo chopped and see if you like it in a single color. I would have just said paint it (not my money!), but after buying all the painting supplies for my coupe, that's not advice I'll just toss off-hand any more.

I guess it's up to you and especially whether or not you can afford it, but if you really wanted black, I'd go for it. If not, think about painting it all in one color.
    Thirdly, you could always ship it to me - I can't afford to re-paint it right now, but I don't really care what anybody thinks. I'd drive the snot out of it. Beautiful truck in any color !!

Poh and Stogy like this.
  30. Can't go wrong with black,especially if the truck is straight.

As Mick Jagger so eloquently said,paint it black. HRP