Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. It's a coolant passage in the manifold not used on 1960 and earlier engines, Tim. Options would be to use a later [61 and later] front cover but I wanted to stick with earlier front cover to take advantage of reverse cooling feature of 55-59 Pontiac engines. See the elbows on the fronts of the cylinder heads? Coolant comes from the water pump directly into the fronts of the heads through those elbows, down through the block and back to the pump where it's pumped into the radiator. 34reassembly1.jpg

2. Got almost all the floor painted this afternoon. I still need to remove the 4X4s and paint where they are now. The photo is crappy and the paint looks blotchy [not all dry yet] but it's painted with black POR 15. And so is my hands, knees and part of my face. No sweat...it'll wear off eventually. 34floorpainted.JPG

brEad, chryslerfan55, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  3. 34bodyraised.jpg 34under5_18.jpg Got the 4X4s outta the way and areas painted. I know, I know, it looks super messy but this is mid-thrash.

brEad, chryslerfan55, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coke bottle bottom glasses Stogy thinks it looks fine Rocky...:D

Pumped on Adrenaline...Go Rocky Go!!!​

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Alright now...I got the bottom of the car all painted with POR. Removed the wood spacers and painted the resulting bare spots and sat the body back down on the frame but inadvertently trapped the clutch pedal between the frame and body. Back up with the body, pushed and pulled the body all over the frame 'till I finally got the clutch pedal loose and located correctly. It's been over 100 degrees here with high humidity so I'd work a bit, go inside and cool of a bit.
    Let the body back down and got the front bolts in place at the firewall and began working my way back, installing body/frame bolts. I found the further back I went, the tougher it was to get the bolts in.
    I went to the back of the car and tried those rear bolts..no way! They are almost an inch off. The frame is too narrow now!
    I'd boxed the back part of the frame rails after moving the rear crossmember down in the frame, welding all of it with no frame jig. DAMN! Double DAMN! Now I have about 8-10 body holes to oblong to get the body to fit the frame. GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. 34frame_body.jpg

6. The 3 paint sticks taped together are there to give me room between body/frame to work on those body mount holes. You'd think I'd know better. Also need to oblong my roll bar mount holes.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s always something. fuck it,keep trucking they need oblonged they need oblonged

loudbang and brad2v like this.
  8. Hey...welcome to the club. It's looking good though!

loudbang likes this.
  9. heh heh.. my wifey came home this afternoon after a long weekend away while I was doing my painting. I'd had no visitors since she left and as I'm helping her carry her shit from her car into the house she gasps and says "What happened to the beck of your head!?"
    Uh-oh...I'd gotten POR15 on my legs, hands and arms so I knew what she was talking about. Had her take a photo of my head and I was blown away! Had no idea! I told her dried POR would have to be worn off but she got on the computer and found some guy who'd used veggy oil to soak/scrub it off so we gave it a try. She soaked my head down with the best Walmart cooking oil money can buy and let it sit 1/2 hour. She scrubbed my head 'till it turned red but she got about 99% of that paint off!
    Note to self: Next time wear a hat, stupid old man.
    por15head.jpg

10. After.
    Who knew vegetable oil would remove POR 15? That's why I have a wife.
    POR15headafter.jpg

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The babies asleep so I had to laugh into my hand, oh man that’s a good one lol. I’ll have to remember the vegetable oil trick for when I inevitably need it :)

12. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe the ladies will start using POR15 instead of Clairol. Does it come in different colors?

lothiandon1940, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

You should have used one of those cheap hair net protectors. Can you know ask your wife if she can cure the shock I had from seeing that dome in both before and after photos.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. As a matter of fact, it does. It comes in a stunning shade of black [in various rich glosses] and an exciting competition light gray. Very goshe indeed.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better on your head than on your Hamb T-Shirt...:D

16. Slipped the hood and radiator in place to get my gaps under control. Bolting down the body, hood, and radiator. Moving stuff around before tightening any bolts. 34bodymounting.jpg

AHotRod, RICH B, brEad and 10 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to be happy with the look...it looks a little dreamy in the garage tonight...;)...hood sides look awesome...

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great page Rocky. Add a bit of frog hair to that POR15 and you could have a full head of hair again.

brEad, cactus1, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  19. Looking very good Rocky(except the back of your head Ha!) Keep at it. It will get done and you will be driving it in no time.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Almost forgot about the Chevy hood sides,
    Man that’s gonna be neat to see burning up the miles

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it going to be a color before the HAMB Drags?

See you there. -Abone.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Rocky,you may have come up with a unique way to disguise male pattern baldness,no toupee to fall off or fly up in the wind like a freshly scalped cowboy in a Indian raiding party movie.

I can see it now -

"Lose the shine in record time" with Rocky's P-15 head polish. HRP

23. You said stupid old man??? didn't ya mean DIRTY OLD MAN ! ! !

loudbang likes this.
  24. 34dashpainted.jpg Nope...I meant stupid old man.
    Jeff....if Gray is a color, it'll have color on it. I'm going for the naval look. Battleship gray epoxy primer.
    Today I removed the rest of the interior panels, gas tank and roll bar in preparation for that competition gray primer. It's gonna be awesome! Who knows? I may go nuts and paint the roll bar a different color or maybe I'll retain my sanity and just do it a little different shade of gray, eh? ...Or paint it to match the dash.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    AHotRod, loudbang, Tim and 5 others like this.
  25. ^^^Love the color on the dash, Rocky^^^:)

26. Rock' ..... that dash color is tits !!

Stogy, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Paint the roll bar orange to match the grill haha ;)

brEad, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. I've had the orange grille for so long I forget it's orange! It won't be orange for long.

lothiandon1940 and brEad like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Damn...she must of used a brillo pad...she took all your hair too! ;)

Keep at it!

brEad and greaser like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kid...Me says you have complete monopoly on use of that word...Gratiot...;):D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.