Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sandblaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnfin, May 28, 2018.

1. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

I bought one of those sandblaster booths but it doesnt work well. I have a huge compressor with dryer, it just wont suck sand. Whats the secret?

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

regulated air supply? 60 psi works for me

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There could be one of several issues. Damp sand, nozzle of the gun not adjusted right so it creates a venturi effect when the air passes the end of the pickup hose. Possibly too much sand in the hopper meaning it is packed down a bit and won't flow. Those are all problems I have run into.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

High humidity can cause a blaster not to flow well (damp sand).

5. You don't mention any details of the cabinet; new/used, harbor freight/box store/ industrial brand; but if the air supply and sand are good; I would look at the gun and pick-up tube next.

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If it is a harbor freight type import spent the $ for the TP upgrade kit. Made mine work much better.

7. Joe H

Joe H

Hold something over the end of the gun so the air flows back up the sand tube. Mine gets packed in tight sometimes and a good back flush gets it going again.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. Regulate your pressure, don't go over 90 PSI, ^ check your pickup hose for tears or leaks, make sure you use the siphon tube (rattle tube) that allows air to pass so the pickup does not clog.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Mine is harbor freight too. It did the job just barely until I replaced the gun with one from TP . That made a night and day difference.

10. bct

bct

My next mod is this . It aloes air to mix with the sand regardless of how much sand is in the hopper. Pic is stolen from garage journal where there is an excellent thread on media blasting cabinet'. Pick up hose goes in from the left...Maybe your problem too.?
    attachment.jpg

11. I have a big ass TP Tools cabinet, it doesn't work for shit unless I'm running at least 130psi of pressure! And I do have an air dryer also in the system.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't even opened up the box the HF sand blast cabinet I have came in so I can't really give a lot of input on the nozzle/gun it's self
    On the Davis sand blast cabinet I had in the school shop where I taught it was critical to have the nozzle (ceramic) adjusted correctly for depth in the gun. Too far in or out and the sand didn't flow well. These guns work on a venturi effect where the air from the hose goes past the end of the pickup tube and if it isn't adjusted right it won't pick up the sand.
    Air flow volume along with pressure really has a lot to do with how any sand blaster works. I have one of those little sears blasters that I picked up at a yard sale that works on my little compresser but doesn't work as well as it could. It does let me do small items outside but that is about all. It is real picky about what sand you use with it too.

13. golferforpar

golferforpar
    from Wisc

I have an older TP cabinet that always worked well for me until one day it started acting like you described. I ended removing the sand pickup tube from the cabinet and discovered at a bend in the tube a hole had been abraded thru creating creating a large leak. Fabricated a patch to match the tube, welded it and it fixed the problem. Hope this might help.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had a cheapo table-top blaster which leaked so bad that i had to wear a dust mask. could have taken it apart and sealed the seams, but it wasn't worth the trouble!

15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My friend had a HF cabinet blaster. I tried to use it once, that's what made me spend the bucks to get a TIP cabinet! They had a great deal at Carlisle one year, less than $1.000.00 and they delivered to my door for free. I have used it for years with zero problems. It seems to be very popular with my friends and neighbors too!

16. johnfin

johnfin
    from auburndale

ok, have tried just about everything, modified pickups, 3/4 airline (f=m*a), dry sand. How does the mod shown on this thread work which is located at the bottom of the hopper? Dosnt the sand come out?