Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering column swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thescotsman, May 25, 2018.

1. Thescotsman

Thescotsman
    from Melbourne

Hey guys I'm after a bit of input / tech help I'm looking at doing a column swap in my 64 c10 and was planning on putting a 60s caddy deville tilt steering column and tri spoke steering wheel in, I'm trying to build a 60s inspired custom truck so would prefer to keep the styling within that time period. Being a GM column would the fit up be relatively straight forward? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of swap or advice to offer?
    Cheers
    TheScotsman

2. F&J

F&J

That truck uses a heavy duty bracket to hold up the column to the dash, and it also is the mounting place for the handbrake. That bracket attaches to the column tube with two bolts that screw into a threaded plate inside that outer column tube. You need to swap that plate into the Cad tube, or weld in nuts to do the same thing.

The lengths of the columns most likely are different, so cut and splice to fit.

3. Thescotsman

Thescotsman
    from Melbourne

Cheers for the reply
    Yes having just gone over the column in the truck I see the bracket and plate that need to be applied to the cad column. I'll have a better idea once I have the cad column to be able to measure up and see exactly how to proceed. Hopefully it won't be to much of a pain!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's going to be mix and match on the steering shaft below the column. Not difficult but you will have to figure out how to make it work.

5. The only caution I can think of is if you ever need to repair that Caddy column, parts may be hard to find and/or expensive....

6. 67-72 pick up are van would fit nice.

7. Thescotsman

Thescotsman
    from Melbourne

Yeh I've got two spare columns just in case

8. Thescotsman

Thescotsman
    from Melbourne

Cheers for the reply
    Yes having just gone over the column in the truck I see the bracket and plate that need to be applied to the cad column. I'll have a better idea once I have the cad column to be able to measure up and see exactly how to proceed. Hopefully it won't be to much of a pain!
    Yes I'm waiting on the caddy columns so I can figure out the difference in shafts before doing anything. Cheers

9. Thescotsman

Thescotsman
    from Melbourne

Yeh I know that's a popular conversion but I just loved the tri spoke caddy steering wheel and figured why Not!

F&J likes this.