Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Midwest Speed & Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, May 24, 2018.

1. I recently had a Hilborn Fuel Injection original order form looked up for my 2 Port Scoop 671-GMC injector. It's says it was purchased at Midwest Speed & Power on May 5th 1961. Just curious if anybody remembers the place and where it was. Thanks..... index.jpg 102_0966.JPG 102_0938.JPG

2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

thumbnail.jpg I have a Hot Rod Shop of Milwaukee catolog from 1963 and it has a division of Midwest Speed and Power Equipment on it. So yeah that Hilborn was bought from the Hot Rod Shop on Walnut St.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    402BOSSMAN, Deuces, racer-x and 5 others like this.
  3. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Also, its the name of our show on Amazon, but I had no idea the Hot Rod Shop used it until after we did our show.... its pretty cool that it worked out that way! Things have a way of coming full circle!

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why did I have no idea you had a show on Amazon??????

-Abone.

5. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

6. Thanks Bob, does your Dad remember it being called that or just the Hot Rod Shop ? I'm going to a thirsty Thursday garage get together tonight with the old farts ( lots over 75 years old ) and will see how much more I can come up with.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is cool Sancho! Bob, is that the one you have? (edit I now see that it is!)

8. @Phillips Yep. That's his photo. @milwscruffy said it wasn't showing up so I copied it out and posted it.

milwscruffy likes this.
  9. John Stimac

John Stimac

My late partner and I owned and operated with that iconic name maybe from 2003 thru 2013 when he got ill. I then moved to Arizona. I knew and had a deep friendship with the original guys, Ralph Fugi and Bob Locksmith for many years in Milwaukee. Scan.jpg

10. Did Ralph work at a place on Teutonia Ave. after that. Pretty sure he built a 427 for me in the late 70's. Also bought a real live Chevy 302 standard crank from him cheap later on. Maybe called Automotive / Aircraft just north of Silver Spring.

11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I know there was a shop on Route 41 and 173 maybe just south of the Wisconsin boarder called The Hot Rod Shop. Or at least that's what the sign on the side of the building said. I remember always seeing it when I was a kid (in the 80s), but I was never able to get my parents to stop there, probably because we didn't have a hot rod or anything like that. They were closed by the early 90s when I started driving. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

There was one just south of Silver Spring on Appleton, I think it was called The Quick SHop. There was another one a couple of blocks north of Silver Spring on Fond Du Lac Ave call APE Automotive Performance Equipment. Now that I think about There was one a couple blocks north of Silver Spring on Teutonia on the east side of the street and I think youre right about the name

kidcampbell71 and banjeaux bob like this.
  13. Yes I remember both with Whitlock being another, thanks everyone for the help. Oh John S, Schreck says hi...

14. John Stimac

John Stimac

Yes, Ralph worked at Automotive Aircraft on Tuetonia. I had him plug and balance a crankshaft when he was there for a 296" flathead I built for a Deuce sedan I built maybe
    in 81. Last time I talked to Ralph was about 2 years ago, He was in Washington State
    with his Daughter and making gun cabinets. I think Bob might be in a place for elderly.
    I was hoping to see Jerry Schreck at my partner Les's wake, but was not to be.
    Jerry is a great guy and a cool dude.

kidcampbell71 and milwscruffy like this.
  15. Mr.Racer

Mr.Racer
    from Ohio

I had to do a double take when I saw your info. Mine is #522. Does anyone recall Mid-State Racing?

F8C496F0-E6C9-4C9B-9BAB-79577DCC9EFF.jpeg

811D31A5-CE09-4871-8920-9406010D01D2.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  16. Holy Crap, what are the odds and sold on the same day in 1961, small world !

17. Mr.Racer

Mr.Racer
    from Ohio

Yeah, small world! Your hemi looks great!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  18. Thanks, dig your avatar picture !

19. Mr.Racer

Mr.Racer
    from Ohio

Thanks! The avatar is what I’d build if I could afford it. Drag cars are cool and what I love, but that’s a whole different level. What heads do you have on the hemi?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  20. Ported 1956 354 1619823-1 heads with spacers. I will probably go to aluminum Hot Heads when I do the build, lots of benefits running them not to mention weight.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  21. Mr.Racer

Mr.Racer
    from Ohio

I’m using 56 heads on a 392 too. Aluminum heads would definitely be nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. John Stimac

John Stimac

Went through my files, and found a lot of old photos from their early days. The kid looking up at the camera in the foreground is ME.

Deuces, milwscruffy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. John Stimac

John Stimac

midwest speed and power 001.jpg midwest speed and power 003.jpg Heres the pics, made a mistake and posted

24. John Stimac

John Stimac

25. Awesome John, funny I still use Sta Lube on all my differentials and manual trans.

John Stimac and loudbang like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Those are awesome pictures John Stimac , would love to see more if you have some.

loudbang and Chucky like this.