Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. as far as the exhaust goes, i think the placement is fine but if it had a couple tips that turned down AND were moved back so they ended before the spreader bar, they would just disappear.......
    you have polished enough stuff at the point you wear out a bearing on the buffer:D

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I like looking at polished stuff..........someone else's.
    [​IMG]

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Nice work Bandit! You're an inspiration to all of us!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot stand having things out of place. This was not as easy as it seems, I had to remove the spreader bar and slide the tank back to access the pipe hangers. After I pulled the right hanger, I decided I had enough room to slot the hole in the frame to give me an extra half inch of play. The result...
    upload_2018-5-16_23-27-53.png
    Much more better
    upload_2018-5-16_23-28-48.png
    Spot on. I wouldn't have been able to sleep otherwise.
    I also had time to bolt in a lap belt for a test fit. My daughter is going to re-web them in brown to match the seat leather. but I needed to make sure they fit.
    upload_2018-5-16_23-31-42.png
    They clip into eye bolts I dropped in the floor Irving Air Chute tags. Very cool.

Stogy, GordonC, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man. I may drive the rig to the Prairie Tavern tomorrow night if all works out well. Come by.

Stogy, Chavezk21 and loudbang like this.
  6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Isn't that Tonya Harding's hangout?

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, she's in there once in a while. It used to be a nice, respectable biker bar.;)

9. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

The patio cushion pattern kinda looks right after you look at it long enough.

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. Kind of comfy too, I've sat in worse. I picked out the leather this week and had my upholsterer make the order. A cool distressed mocha brown and a lighter distressed color called Irish crème. Sounds like a Saturday morning swap meet drink to me but it should look wild. Also ordered brown square weave carpet that we will edge in mocha leather.

I had this picture saved from the HAMB from another thread
    upload_2018-5-24_11-45-52.png
    and I have always liked this seat, so I am copying the style. Mocha around the outside, Irish crème pleated insert. I will also use the lighter leather on the door panel inserts but the majority of the panels will be the mocha leather.

Stogy, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had lawn chair upholstery at first when I had my T bucket. It was a fancy tropical pattern on a bench seat cushion. I had a lot of miles on that goofy thing...

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like a stop at Dutch Brothers with my wife!
    I'll have a double Irish Cream and Kahlua Mocha Frappuccino iced latte with whipped cream and sprinkles.
    When the little cutie asks what I'll have I say nothing, I remember how to make coffee.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The list of projects is winding down but there are a few things that have to be done prior to upholstery. One of them was the rear speakers. I built the Bluetooth "ford" script radio box that looks cool but needed a bit more depth and power with the top down and the flathead running. There was a convenient space behind the doors and required very little trimming with the cut off wheel and air file.
    upload_2018-5-24_11-58-43.png
    I used a little duct tape to seal the area that the speaker didn't cover to aid the sound and I used that sound deadener inside the cavity as well.
    The car comes with a complete set of preformed ABS panels for the interior. I had to open up the quarters to let the sound out. I bought some steel grille material at the local hardware store and trimmed it to fit flush on the plastic panel as I will have these covered in perforated leather. You can see I had to re-shape the area around the speaker to make extra room. That was done with a torch and a gasket scrapper.
    upload_2018-5-24_12-3-35.png
    the back had to be cut away to make room for the 6x9's. You can see I welded brackets to mount the grilles and riveted them to the panels.
    upload_2018-5-24_12-6-23.png
    Once this is covered and the seat upholstered they will be barely visible but you are going to feel them.
    upload_2018-5-24_12-8-2.png
    The front radio box, beside holding the twin voice coil front stereo speaker and Bluetooth connection also now holds the 200x4 watt Harman Kardon mini amp (a motorcycle item).
    upload_2018-5-24_12-14-33.png
    I am driving this system from my iphone so I don't have to look at a head unit. If you are familiar with iphones, they don't have much for tone control, just presets like jazz, rock, etc. I was going to add an EQ in the box as well but I had another idea. For $2.99 I downloaded an app called EQu. It accesses my iTunes and for another $1.99 it comes with all of the radio stations in the known universe.
    This makes my stereo ROCK!
    upload_2018-5-24_12-22-18.png
    If you think your Bluetooth speaker sounds good now, spend 3 dollars and git your Led on!

Stogy, loudbang, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are opening a new DB across the street from my office. Best. Coffee. Ever!

loudbang likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang never thought of that! Good call

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is the ultimate cheap fix, and nothing to install. Now if they only had a Stromberg tuning app

loudbang and Tim like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. I have no balls!. Still tuning the 97s. Burn out in lawn furniture, gotta happen.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In an earlier post I said I had installed a Holley regulator #12-842 to knock down the fuel pressure from the in tank 60 psi pump.
    upload_2018-6-21_12-58-15.png
    Well that Holley regulator can only drop pressure to 4 psi and I was pushing fuel past my 97's. There is no one regulator it appears that can take 60 psi to 2 psi so I had to re-engineer things a bit and add another regulator.

The new one is Holley #12-804 and is adjustable from 1 to 4 psi. I added it to the back of the 471 blower using the supplied chrome bracket (bracket was turned upside down and re-drilled to level the regulator with my fuel log inlet.
    upload_2018-6-21_12-58-57.png
    I then added two 6 AN adapters to the reg and the fuel log and flared a couple of 37 degree ends on a little chunk of 3/8" stainless I had lying around. Second time I made it, it fir perfectly (first time was 1/2" short somehow).
    upload_2018-6-21_12-59-44.png
    Now I need a better fuel pressure gauge since this damn moon gauge doesn't read anything at all. Engine idled a lot nicer and revs better too. A noticeable improvement in air quality as well.

I had to drain the oil as I was washing a bit of fuel before, oil cam out stinking of gas.

19. I shouldn't even ask this, really I shouldn't.
    But you know I'm going to any way,,,,
    Why a EFI 60 psi pump?
    Could run a 1980s- 90s Chevy TBI in tank pump at 15 psi and run a big fat return and the forward line pressure would be about 8-6 psi.

woodz, loudbang, Bandit Billy and 2 others like this.
  20. this was my thought also. i never understood the need for a high pressure pump and a regulator to get it down to a "normal" pump requirements.

loudbang, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Simple answer, it is the pump that comes with the tank. When you buy a TanksInc tank they stick these Walbro electric pumps in them. I have installed their tanks/pumps in several cars and they work perfect. The pumps are quiet and due to the return line they keep the fuel cool and moving. This is the first time I have had to knock the psi down past the limits of the 12-842 (which I have also used many times). They say on their adds that the pumps will support 400, 800, even higher HP depending on the model pump selected. I just chose the lowest model which still puts out a lot of pressure.

• I get the pump I pick from tanks.
    If you need more than 29 Gph ??
    Optimal GPH = (Max. HP x BSFC) / 6
    For BSFC I use .5 for your normal everyday DD engine and naturally aspirated, .55 for something a little hotter, .6 for a little boost and .7 for a lot of boost.

image.jpg
    IMG_0701.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  22. rjgideon

rjgideon

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I dropped the car off at the local tune guru David Chun at supertune in Vancouver.
    IMG_2079.JPG
    He did the O2 tune, played with the timing, adjusted the carbs and made a nice running hot rod out of my parts assembly.

I just drove her home to battle ground, about 12 miles in 95 degree heat. Very smooth off the idle and a cool blower whistle alerts you when it's time to hit second. Tosses your ass into the patio cushions in third. Rolls 50 mph at 2000 rpm in fourth. Never hit the extra gear.

The fan has a 185 degree temp sensor, it turned on a time or two I noticed at red lights but she ran cool all the way home. I shut her down in the garage just now, no ticking, no hissing, no over flow... and no complaints from me.

I'd call that a flat head success story. They aren't all under powered, they don't all over heat. Ignore the detractors. Follow her lead And let's make the flat head great again!

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here, for a limited time, is a picture of her with bonnet off.
    IMG_2081.JPG
    It made it easier for him to tune and less chance of damage. Looks cool but I prefer the hood top.

Tim, Tim_with_a_T, woodz and 7 others like this.
  25. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Good looking ride , has the clean look I like.

26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet ride!

27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers