Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs First pics of the golden Sahara in decades

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 13, 2018.

1. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Anyone else like to see the paint stripped off so we can admire all that lead??

loudbang, Stogy and Moriarity like this.
  2. Mark, thanks for all the detailed pics. Glad you got to get right up to it and check it out. I look forward to talking to you about it in a few weeks. Maybe we might get lucky and the new owner will leave it in Indy for a few weeks and bring it to the CCR? Please oh please oh please!!!!

gonmad, Stogy, Bowtie Coupe and 5 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

54delray, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

5. The sale from my vantage point on saturday.

6. Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. I spoke with Larry right after the auction. He seems pretty excited about the GS. If anyone has the resources to properly preserve or restore the car, I'd say he's on the short list. It seems like it's going to a good home.

9. Thanks mark, .... can I call you mark? I’m Daniel, nice to speak of you!

Anyways thanks for the “ in person details” the bubble top being blurry , the fins being wavy , don’t surprise me, the quality like today or even back in the 80’s just could not be done back in the 50’s / 60’s

But now knowing the GOlDEN SAHARA is essentially falling apart, no “ it’s only original once” matters . Shit is shit, don’t care if it’s one off shit, legendary shit, quality shit, show circuit shit, jim street shit, shit is shit is shit!

Jim street had/has his reasons for not doing a thing with the GS while he owned it, he built it twice !and 75 large in 55 could buy you a lot more then 1 custom car, even tho it sold for 350 g’s I think it’s a wash as far as an investment.

Anyways if it’s deteriorated as bad as Mark/Moriarty/moderator m says . (And he has first hand knowledge of its condition) then it should be restored to its former glory, love it or hate it, it’s a piece of history

Even voodo Larry only did a tribute of it,can’t copy it to a t
    The kookie car is a pile of shit with a Watson’s paint job right now
    The golden Sahara is still the goldenSahara !
    I don’t like it, but I love what it represent in automotive history

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    mgtstumpy, jim snow, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  10. Fucking auto correct !

loudbang, 54delray, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. Stogy likes this.
  12. Don’t blame the autocorrect, blame the jackass who created it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look what he started...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. I started nothing.

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim Street started Street Flamethrowers...just imagine fried fishy paint...:p...honestly I don't know the history of those things but someone designed them...and I have only fortunately seen them live once...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I assume you had a pack of hot dogs at the time?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

That explains it......I watched the video of the T.V appearance and my first thought was "Flamer"

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it flamed in the movie clip with Jerry Lewis...but I believe your eluding that this is somewhat a Custom specific...dodad. The only one I've seen live... (yeah I don't get out much :p) was on a Custom. Theres probably a thread on those things here...

I guess it really originally may have had a relation to rockets and the jet age and those flying custom looking vehicles with no wheels that grounded Customs almost mimic being so close to the ground giving the illusion of floating.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. S.F.

S.F.

It ain't as bad as he says it is. It was beautiful. That's MY first hand knowledge.

The survival is more impressive than the restoration. The car was perfect. It was real.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. S.F.

S.F.

Also, I don't know where this whole "Its falling apart" thing came from either.... there wasn't one piece of it on the ground next to it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I never said the car was falling apart. The thread they sewed the upholstery with was disintegrating along with the frieze material. if you looked close thru the clear covers you could see the seams coming apart. I guess everyone has a different Idea of what beautiful is.( and don't get me wrong it is cooler than shit.) And it is no problem, different strokes for different folks. I just can't wrap my head around embracing cracked discolored paint, pitted discolored plating and decaying upholstery. but that is just me.....

22. Agree completely Mark. This concept of leaving things looking like shit because they are "original" makes no sense to me either. This was a show car that as meant to wow and dazzle not look sorry and dilapidated.

23. S.F.

S.F.

Ok here's the deal. For me its (mostly) not about embracing cracked paint, or rust. Its looking through it to see what it REALLY is. To take what its current state is and imagine what it actually really looked like. I just don't want someone's stink on it... someones " well I'm going to slightly tweak this spot because I feel this is the way it really should have looked" .... then pretty soon its "a fancy better version of what it was!" with crisper fin lines or perfectly laid out pleats in the upholstery; lets take away all hand formed imperfection. It happened with Burt Monro's Indian...it lost its soul. Its just some of his Indian, with some other guys opinion of what it should look like.

bowie, chryslerfan55 and Hyfire like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the Sahara has already lost its soul as it is a shadow of it's former self.

Perfection brings up an interesting point...that would be a modern master of preservation/restoration would no doubt be in awe of how well things were done on some of these gems from the past.

I am sure for example Jim was very particular of the level of perfection of each and every detail on this Custom.

There are several here in the business that would give it the respect required and I'm confident Larry would have it no other way either.

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. S.F.

S.F.

See this car in person and that thought will change real quick

Stogy likes this.
  26. S.F.

S.F.

Its kinda like when they said they removed the clear tires when they moved it out of the garage because "they were falling apart" ... were they REALLY falling apart? even if they were I'd have liked to at least seen what was left...but nope, someone had to mess with it. (been thinking about those damn clear tires for 20 years)

chryslerfan55, Hyfire and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not disputing its sacred status...just saying it is a faded King...very cool but like a decayed mummy out of casket.

I absolutely love the dusty gems in all their glory where they are found to this one deserves a museum status ressurection to really foreshadow its original intent...Jim would approve and be honored...even better if his loving widow would be here to see it. Go Larry Go...

chryslerfan55 and drdave like this.
  28. S.F I agree, if someone takes this car and “ over restores it” it would be a shame
    It needs to be researched and done the way jim street and what ever ( the story is convoluted to say the least) customizers did back then to bring it back to its “ as shown” in the 50’s -60’s state .
    To see it now in its as found condition would be cool, but I think for most of us it’s just a clapped out relic with some cool history.

The car cost jim street 75 large when he built it the first time, that almost $700 large in today’s money!
    Probably why street never redid it as he knew it would cost a ton and probably thought it wasn’t worth it, or he had his fun with it, whatever the reason.

The new owner paid 350,000 for it, there’s a lot of room there to make this thing show worthy again.
    I keep saying it , but it’s worth saying again. Never mind the electronics but to get the pretty back on her and get her looking like she did back in her glory days I’m guessing her value would double. If the restoration is done correctly, as a restoration and not a new version.