Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Another one found. ‘32 3w.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cretin, Apr 20, 2018.

1. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Very very nice! Not sure if they're real, but someone needs to pull those flares and toss them. I can just see someone testing them out!

The37Kid and Stogy like this.
  2. cretin

cretin

So you’re saying I should test those out?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Only on Firecracker Day...:D

4. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Great Find. Show cars of that erea all had flares in ca.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

She is sweet, good luck !

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Safety 1st...or just in case Ole Bessy let Ya Down...there was an element of safety perhaps crossing over from the race side of Hotrodding...and frankly it's a good thing.

7. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

8. I watched that video today, Ben did a great job shooting it.

@cretin Is the K member altered at all? Or did that Olds (barley) fit with out moving the trans and rear end back?

kidcampbell71, cretin and dana barlow like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Very nice 32,enjoyed,got to be more info too find. Phone number can be back tracked,sign guy can be back track etc. I'm still driving my own highschool 28A hot rod I put together in 1959,so pos. there could be some with firsthand info to get too !!

cretin likes this.
  10. Once again "wrong place at the wrong time" , damn it. Great score.

cretin likes this.
  11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love it! You know that car is in some obscure little book. Guess I'll have to dig out my pile and start lookn'.

cretin likes this.
  12. Great video.

kidcampbell71 and cretin like this.
  13. That's pretty awesome

cretin likes this.
  14. Very Cool stuff!

cretin likes this.
  15. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

wow, glad troy got it.

kidcampbell71, Stogy and cretin like this.
  16. cretin

cretin

I tried climbing under there just now to see.
    It kinda tough to see, but the K member is definitely still there and looks unmodified from what I can tell.
    Looks like they were just able to barely squeeze that Olds in there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chris, AHotRod, brad2v and 1 other person like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Start bidding on period phone books on eBay, it may take time but you may get a name and address to match the number on the For Sale sign. Bob

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    cretin likes this.
  18. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Wow. So awesome!

cretin likes this.
  19. Nobey

Nobey

Unbelievable find, and a great video, unfortunately I don't remember the car. Looks like it was
    just towed home from the Drags, and parked.

cretin likes this.
  20. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a Awesome piece of Hot Rod history … flat amazing.

cretin likes this.
  21. It’s pretty amazing with technology and the internet how these treasures stay hidden and continue to pop up randomly..... I’m sure Troy is stoked and feeling pretty lucky to have scored this car that most of us would jump thru burning hoops to acquire ..... I know I would..... congrats it’s an amazing find

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

cretin likes this.
  22. Been following this on Instrgram really cool story. Hope you guys bring this out to LA Roadster show.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Any info there that doesn't make the HAMB?

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

looks like a keeper to me !
    Is that a '60's bubbletop on top of the shed ?

Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@cretin you have an awesome boss. Hey...question in the video with Troy there is a pan to the license plate and it has a sticker for 1961 and actually there looks like a few more underneath...those are the real deal 60's stickers?...I thought plate stickers was a new phenomenon.

Great video and really enjoyed the story and details. You fellas have a very cool place to work. That a pretty cool Hotrod an the go to the right side of the car. Looks almost like a T Woodie in work...that was the shop correct?

Thanks for keeping us up on this blast from the past...;)

26. cretin

cretin

I'm trying to get him to take it. He wanted to take it and drive it around, but didn't have the chance to get it to driving condition. It runs, but doesn't drive yet. I'm trying to get it out there anyway.

All the info so far should be here, I'll definitely update if I get some good info.

The bubble on the shed is a jet plane canopy. There was a flaw in it for the plane, and the canopy was given to us, so we have been storing it till we figure out something cool to do with it.

I hadn't really thought about the registration stickers. According to my quick research, in California, they started using the validation stickers in 1957. You used a 1956 plate, and used a validation sticker until 1962.

Yes, that was filmed at the shop, the car to the right of the '32 is a kind of interesting car. It also belongs to Troy. It became a weekend project to build a cool hotrod based almost completely off extra parts we ended up with at the shop. I'll give you as much of the background on that car as I can recall. It's not a woodie, its based off a model TT truck. We got the truck from (if I remember correctly) a guy who was cleaning out a house he bought to sell. He had it on a trailer, came buy the shop because he had passed by before, to see if we wanted it. I was the cab, chassis, suspension, and two engines. I believe it was free, because he was going to take it to scrap, if not, it was too cheap to pass up for something we didn't need, that was going to take up space in the yard (this was years ago at the old shop).
    The TT frame went to one of the guys from the shop, who is going to shorten it and use it as the basis for a speedster.

The frame rails are the first set of rails we made for the "The Grasshopper" Model T before the owner decided he wanted to exactly recreate the car, and then ultimately sell it to Galpin. The engine and trans are ones that have been at the shop even longer then I have. It's a Chevy straight six that was a good runner but has been stored for quite a while. I'm sure Troy told me what it came out of, but I can't recall. It's backed up by a Muncie, that I also can't recall the origins of. In the front it uses quarter elliptical springs that I believe were left overs from out "Zulu tall T", with an axle and spindles, etc, of unknown origin. The rear, uses a '40 banjo that came out of a '40 that is currently at the shop, and getting ready to go to paint. I believe the rear suspension is torsion bars that would have come from, most likely the "Raybestos Pickup". The bed is extra Brookville bed sides from the "El Correcaminos"Model A truck. That's all I can remember at the moment. I'll have to take some photos, and make any corrections if I'm currently remembering anything wrong.

*Edit, the rear suspension is also quarter elliptical. I got the truck mixed up with a different project. My guess is there were extra springs from the Zulu T and the Euro coupe we are currently building to get the suspension for the truck.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    catdad49, brad2v, bowie and 2 others like this.
  27. cretin

cretin

That little T truck project stalled out with the shop move. Troy's weekends began to be consumed with facilities improvements at the new shop, rather than the T project. And now, I think the '32 may have taken a front seat. I'm going to try to get him back on it though.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@cretin thanks for that story, it is quite a mix of very historical hotrod/customs...fantastic. Perhaps you might do a separate thread on this. I don't mean to take focus off the 32 at hand. The tour through the shop to the 32 gets the mind straying a little as its a real interesting place. A big thank you to You and the Team for bringing this incredible content to the Hamb...Its pretty darn special. That fella will be smiling watching You and the Team bringing that back to speed and so will we...;)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    cretin likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must be tough deciding what to focus on as every where you turn there's interesting stuff going on...o_O

brad2v likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the TT truck project story, I really enjoy builds like that were every part has a story behind it. I remember seeing the cab when I'd stop by, and thought it was some how out of place, now it fits right in. Bob

Stogy likes this.