Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wow "original", Kookie T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LongT, May 19, 2018.

1. LongT

LongT

Wow the Norm G, Kookie T, just sold. I wonder if it will be restored to a previous incarnation? $440k

I'd sell him mine for half that!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The paint job on the car as it sold was a Larry Watson paint job...............pretty hard to decide restore or save

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I would Restore it to the first version Jim Street built Before the duel rear wheels and highback seats. That would preserve Watson's work which for the most part was a repaint of the Kookie car. Larry

4. A Boner

A Boner

The "Kookie T" should look like the "Kookie T", not the "that used to be the Kookie T car".

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with A boner 100% there. Those of us who faithfully watched 77 Sunset strip every week just to catch a couple of glimpses of the T could give a rats ass about the Jim street version no matter who painted it.

Gizzy, zzford, Fordor Ron and 16 others like this.
  6. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Since I love and miss Norm very much, I'd like to see it put back like he built it. I bet that is what the buyer is gonna do. It's hard to believe someone would give 440,000 for it and keep it in its current state.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someone needs to post photos of all four versions of the car, the first two are my favorites. Thanks to two fantastic clones or tributes, we all can see how the first two look. Bob

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. rudestude

rudestude

I guess the "Lighting Bug" would be version number one ....the blue one , the TV car, would be version number two....after the car was sold then painted white with red flames ,by Watson,would be number three....and the fourth version being the one that was just sold.....did I get it correct....????.. I don't think any of these are clone cars..... 15268034952342032164250.jpg 15268036894352137990461.jpg 15268037207281448481649.jpg 1526803755493749773150.jpg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO, brad2v, 55Deso and 15 others like this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rudestude ...........................You got it correct !!!!!! Thanks for digging up the pics

10. ................................Yeah, I had to bail at $439K............too rich for my blood.:rolleyes:;)

kidcampbell71, Gizzy, crminal and 9 others like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for all four photos rudestude!. Version ONE looks so much better to me.:) Bob

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Found this shot of the car with Norm. $(KGrHqRHJB!FGnGvBzHOBRwOFWEBv!~~60_57.jpg

Elcohaulic, ls1yj, 57 300 and 14 others like this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

I don't know how many clones have been done of the car over the years ....but I would say this one has to be the best and most accurate one that I have ever seen... IMG_20180520_052224_1~2.jpg IMG_20180520_051916~2.jpg IMG_20180520_051953~2.jpg IMG_20180520_052034~2.jpg IMG_20180520_052154~2.jpg IMG_20180520_052122_1~2.jpg

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If it does go back to the blue version. Leave the top on the car. That`s how Norm built it. The movie guys told him to remove the top so the actors could be seen.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here are some pics of the bottom of the t. You can really tell it was built by a teenager.. clutch linkage mess..... IMG_1321.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

about the Paint on the T. Don The egyptian Boeke was there saturday. he was a friend of Mr Streets and told us that he repainted both cars in 1964. they made a template of the flames . He repainted the T pearl white and Teddy Z redid the flames in persimmon metalflake. He said the reason the T was still white was they used acrylic lacquer on it and the reason the sahara was brown is they used nitrocelulose lacquer on it. The paint is literally falling off the T and shouldn't be saved in my opinion no matter who did it

brad2v, ls1yj, Surfcityrocker and 6 others like this.
  20. So it's not a Watson paint job then? How do those rumors get started?

Personally I'd leave it the way it is. It is the final (for now?) chapter in the car's history? It's not like that was done 10 years ago? Someone needs to build the early white version. I'd love to see all four together!

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the paint is literally falling off from it, there isn't one square inch that is not cracked, the chrome is terribly rusted, the interior is all torn up from cats living in it for years and is full of cat shit ...... I can't imagine leaving it like that

22. @Moriarity I'm hip. It would get completely restored though I'm sure? Not that it doesn't deserve that but as you said now you can tell it was build by a teenager. Once it's all cleaned up and re-engineered that "truth" is lost?

Again, I'm not saying it's the right thing to do I'm just saying it's what I would do personally (which obviously is a non-issue as I'm not a "heavy hitter!") :)

brad2v likes this.
  23. Dad had never seen this version of it, only the earlier white/red that he shot in Sioux City in 64. Coming from a recent HS grad that saw it in 64 he said he would turn it back ASAP, his pictures are in Riks book

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. Watson painted it the white and red the first time it was painted most just assumed it was still that paint job so not really a rumour just people uninformed that it was repainted to a second white version.

Rik Hoving saw the car a few years ago when he was researching the Jack Stewart car and he said there was literally paint chips laying on the floor beside the car when it was in storage he asked to take one and did and said it was dust by the time he got it back to Holland. For me this car needs a better fate than that and should be restored but not "corrected" to bring it up to today's build qualities.

25. Thanks for the clarification on the paint job.

If they do put it back to the original (well 2nd) version, I’d like to buy the gee gaws and clone the 4th version!

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Totally agree with leaving the original clutch linkage and other odds and ends that were on the car when it was built. George Washington's jacket doesn't need new buttons that were made last week. Bob

kidcampbell71, brad2v, S.F. and 2 others like this.
  27. rudestude

rudestude

I'm going to bring something up and I guess it's meant as a question and not trying to start something...first off I am all for keeping car builds "Period Correct" and not mixing one into the other and keep them safe ...but when they say keep them traditional well as you can see in the pictures that Moriarity posted that workmanship ,or lacking of, is the way that sadly a lot of the cars of the day where constructed...so to what point of being traditional in a cars construction do you go....of course then it becomes a safety matter...but to upgrade a cars components for the reason of better faster stronger back then safety usually was not a concern but I believe that if a guy had a chance to get some of the stuff we have available today back then for the reason of better faster stronger and through in safer he would of went for it so then to build a car today and be traditional then how far can you truly go in upgrading a traditional build and stay correct..... because to be built to the boundaries of a traditional car that would mean it would have to be built in the traditional method using the traditional tools of the period.....and then it goes to the individual that's doing the work..... I just say build them to the best of your ability and be safe and have fun.... traditionally I think that's what it's been all about anyways.....and there are a lot of things in this world that look amazing from the out side but if you take a look in side wow it can be scary.....

dana barlow, ramblin dan and denis4x4 like this.
  28. Who's the lucky new owner of it, and the Sahara II?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Nobey

Nobey

This is not Norms work, Norm was a meticulous builder, and a perfectionist. If you look at Rods Illustrated, Aug. 1959, you can see under the car, and see the nice rear trans mount, that has been cut out in your photo. You can also
    see the chrome brake lines with covers, that run along the sides on the radius rods. That master cylinder in the photo
    feeds the rear brakes only, and you can see a lot of other stuff has been torched away. I wouldn't be surprised if that
    clutch was a quick fix by someone else.
    Norm was always changing the car, for example notice the bed pipes in some photos, then stacks in others. I spoke
    with Johnny Overbay right after his re-creation build, that Street Rodder covered. He said it was a hard decision on which version to build.

dana barlow and rudestude like this.