Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roof section prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XtechX, May 19, 2018.

1. Does it really have to be an Edsel roof panel ?

Hnstray likes this.
  2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

200 is a fair price , But if all you need is a panel for the roof of your coupe I have found the roof skins from 1980 to 1996 f series Ford extended cab trucks are very close. I have used them on a number of 36 and earlier coupes. A little tweeking one way or another maybe needed. But the Edsel roof would also need adjusting. But I can not say that the yard would charge any less. Here in Wi. most of the Mon And Pop small yards are going away. Cost of operation is getting harder and harder to deal with. But we also have a lot of those rusty F series trucks around . Good luck with your project . Larry

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg
    Why do you want to use a 1959 Edsel roof sheetmetal? I would look for smooth sheetmetal not one with lines in it. I thought that fad was over a long time ago.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    chryslerfan55, alchemy and Hnstray like this.
  4. Joe Lemay

Joe Lemay

Before you lay out your cash, go back to the yard with cardboard templates of front-to-back and left to right of your roof.
    You my find for a coupe , that won't work.
    By the way, $200 is very fair for such an odd roof. Paid $100 recently for a 04 Jeep grand Cherokee roof for a sedan 0517181710_HDR.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Just Gary and Unkl Ian like this.
  5. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

200 ? keep looking maybe in a year or two you can find a cheaper one 8oo miles away and save 50 bucks

The37Kid and Just Gary like this.
  6. I have a roof from a 50 chevy coup. Already cut off I would sell for $50. At present its covering the cowl and engine of a 1930 chev. The roof from the 55 chevy wagon would cost $400 setting rotting 001.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Poor Edsel

The Rodney Dangerfield of cars

Wonder what the rest of it looks like

8. How about the wagon tailgate

9. I have a 55 handyman 2 dr Wagon. I plan to keep the tailgate. I bought the 55 because I needed the rear tailgate glass. and the cables that attach to the tailgate. thanks for your interest. It don't hurt to ask.

anthony myrick likes this.
  10. fordflambe

fordflambe

If it works on your "A" and it's what you want, I say go for it! Compare it to the cost of steel from your local supplier...........

Put this 61 chevy wagon roof in my 31 chevrolet back in 1973.........paid $25 for it ......

AUT_9304.JPG

Attached Files:

11. rudestude

rudestude

Wow.... I bet you wished you would of asked about the 79 ford van roof in stead....then you probably would not have got all the BS....that's one thing about this site you better be prepared when asking for opinions on something because sometimes people will read into your posting and possibly take it differently than what you were ,in your mind ,thinking that you posted.... because everyone has a opinion...just some people express them stronger than others and can be a little harsh especially if both parties are not on the same wavelength.....just saying... I understand what you are asking and my opinion is that would be a good price on a Edsel roof but there are a lot of different roof's out there ... I have one of them Toyota's like the one posted that I would give you, the complete van, for free if it would work for you...but if the Edsel's roof is the one that you like and you have the cash than who cares what other people think....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 2FordGuy

2FordGuy

Made that mistake at a swap meet where I should have grabbed that original hipo intake and thought it would be there when I came back by... hated myself that day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

If I had to holdup finishing a project over a $200 part, I'd take up quilting or scrap booking instead of the old car hobby.
    I don't even want to know how many $200 parts it took to finish the nut & bolt frame off restoration of my 63 Impala.

Gary

The37Kid likes this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Ray,

I understand that. It is a conversation I have with my students when they bitch about the junk yards paying nickles and dimes for cars and wanting dollars for the parts. The steak and lobster comment was about the guys with a gunny sack full of coal who try to convince you that each piece is a rare, gold plated,one of none piece of unobtainium. If some one has what I want or need, its his, he knows what he has in it, he knows what he needs for it. I have to make a decision,and I've made them, good and bad. Its called experience.

Oh, I remember those two digit a week paychecks and two digit a month paydays from Uncle Sam.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would think the majority of people don't break it down like that . I get what Hnstray is saying , but you don't buy a burger and think about the farmers machinery maintenance and gas bill, or who mined the iron ore to make a steel thingamijig you buy at lowes. Just saying.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm totally amazed at how little 100 year old postage stamps sell for on eBay, free postage and all. Edsel roof seams cheap too. Bob

17. coreythompsonhm

coreythompsonhm

This is the way I look at it...

1. 80-120 bucks for the sheet metal from a supplier.

2. Do I have to buy tools to make said shape?

3. My labor to make said shape.

4. Am I cash rich, time poor or am I time rich, cash poor?

Almost always cash purchase wins when broken down for me to make an item. But then again, I like making shit, so it really depends if its a want to or need to. I would pay the 200 for a preformed roof section and spend my labor on installing it. 200 is a good price when broken down to how much you can make it for.

Just Gary likes this.
  18. Terrible80

Terrible80

My thoughts were an old Edsel roof is rarer than a late model Toyota van roof and priced accordingly. Also if you can find a cut it yourself yard you could save.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  19. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

FYI
    I found that a 1980 Jaguar XJ6 roof skin turned 90° fitted my '31 Ford coupe roof contours almost perfectly.

The37Kid likes this.
  20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

21. Oh, I remember those two digit a week paychecks . Me too I got a raise when the minium wage went to $1.60 an hour. I grossed $64 a week and got about $56 after taxes. Before that I Made $1 per hour and worked 60 hours per week. After that no more than 40 hours. The boss claimed he couldn't afford to pay time and a half overtime.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If you get the Edsel roof you have something unique and a story to tell. You pay $600.00 for a Walden piece of sheet metal you still have to attach it ,and you are $400.00 poorer. Better off with the Edsel roof. A win , win.;)

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Besides 400 extra smackers in your pocket can buy more goodies for your hot rod . Triple win .:cool: Or enjoy your own steak and lobster .;)