Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Long and short Chevy Throw out bearing (Resolved)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtx1800, May 18, 2018.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done a bunch of searching and evidently I have not used the right terms, but the question is this, what is the part number or application for the long throw out bearing used by Chevrolet. I've found one on Rock Auto that may be it a National 614037 that is 1.899 inches wide (thick) but is that the only "long" one or are there more?

This is a Saginaw four speed, Lakewood bell housing and an early V8 Throw out arm.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=219741&jsn=258

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The bearing you use, depends on the clutch pressure plate. If it has flat fingers (diaphragm clutch), you use the long bearing. If it is a 3 finger or has angled fingers (diaphragm) you use the short bearing.

you didn't tell us about that.

Cosmo49 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

oh..when you look up the part number at oreillys web page, you get a list of Compatibility which includes 991 different Chevy applications. Pick one...

4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a little more information. Pictures tell the story, but only part of it. Since I put the car together it seems like the clutch is fine for a while then it doesn't release properly so I readjust and it's fine....for awhile. The last time I drove it the clutch acted fine until I was in traffic and it wouldn't release at all. I was able to nurse it home by starting in first gear, shifting without a clutch (learned on a farm tractor 60 years ago) and got it home.

On visual examination the clutch arm was touching the bellhousing when the clutch was fully depressed. Here are pictures of the clutch, throwout bearing and the arm. The pressure plate was supposedly a Corvette, but.....I've had it since the 70's there is no telling what I remember is correct:( The pivot ball is not screwed all of the way to the transmission as you can see in the picture.

The suggestion has been made by two people that observed it that I need the "thicker/longer" throwout bearing.....the current one is about 1.25 inches thick, the National 614037 is about 1.9 inches and Speedway has a 605-498 that is 2.25 inches thick. (and is about three times the price of the National.

As I kept digging I found more info and maybe answered my question myself. If the bearing is .65 or so inches thicker it should move the arm closer to center. OK Fire away.

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

get a new pressure plate (actually get a complete clutch kit). I'm glad you said you had that pressure plate since the 70s, because it looks like it's been around since the 70s. The ends of the fingers are worn quite a bit, and it probably has other issues inside that you can't see, that make it not release properly.

You already have the correct release bearing

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, you just told me what I didn't want to hear:( I am on the Studebaker Driver's Club forum and they frequently refer to CASO (Cheap Ass Studebaker Owner),, in this case I am a CACO!!!

7. The disc looks newer, but get another clutch. How is the fork and ball stud in the bellhousing? Take a look at that for wear too.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There are at least 3 different throw out bearing lengths for GMs and multiple combinations of arms and pivot balls. Many now use the adjustable pivot ball to avoid having to find the right combination. Your setup seems to have one.

[​IMG]

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If the clutch holds well and doesn't slip, I'd adjust the pivot ball to center the arm and run it. Make sure the pivot is locked down so it doesn't change. It will be your labor. If I was doing it for someone else it might be different.

10. squirrel

squirrel

the funny thing is, the clutch is OK for a little while, then acts up. That's not a symptom of having the wrong release bearing, is it?

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't think so either...but if I knew anything it would be fixed already. At this point maybe new parts are in order........stay tuned for another installment.

12. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Problem solved, although it took several tries. I first thought the pivot ball had went out of adjustment but after pulling it all apart and doing a visual on the pressure plate (more on that later) I examined the pivot ball and found the threads bad so it wouldn't hold adjustment, put a new pivot ball, throwout arm the spring on it was pretty junky and a new throwout bearing. That didn't fix the problem.

Next I purchased a new pressure plate/clutch like several had suggested (I should listen better) and installed it....I used a diaphragm unit and it wouldn't release. I disassembled it again and could find nothing wrong. So I reassembled (and you know how many bolts are in a scattershield) and still it wouldn't release. Next I started using adjustments that I had built in when I fabbed the linkage to increase the distance that the throwout arm move and THAT did the trick.

Just a note....I have had back surgery and have at this time a 20 pound weight limit, the first episode my neighbor and his son muscled out the transmission and replaced it. They would have came back but i don't want to wear out that option. I was able to slide the transmission IMGP0003.JPG IMG_1659.JPG back on a double thickness of plywood and balance it there, I suspect the scatter shield was over my weight limit but I was laying the ground and used my skinny arms to push it into place. And for part of the job I had my seven year old grand daughter helping.

squirrel likes this.
  13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for reporting back with your solution. I'm surprised you didn't get any comments on the Fram oil filter.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do yourself a favor and put some corner gussets on the Z-bar, these are known for the welds breaking, anything will help. 20180612_080617.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    vtx1800 and pat59 like this.