Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just went thru the same thing on mine! A couple boxes of angle tubing, a couple hangers, and before you know it an exhaust system appears!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Reminded of an old joke.."Say, I welded up my mufflers in my shorts, how they got in there I'll never know".
    Bada-boom.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. alchemy

alchemy

That one's better than the yoke joke.

loudbang likes this.
  5. all painted and installed...now to do the other side and then tail pipes/megaphones/scavengers or a combination of all 3.... 34mufflerhangerpainted.JPG 34mufflerhangerpainted1.JPG

lothiandon1940, brEad, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. Scavengers please!

loudbang and charleyw like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got that other side done yet?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Yup...got both sides done except for tailpipes. I lit it off to check if I liked the sound. I LOVE it! The cam has a nice rumble to it and it has no annoying "rap" noise when it's wound up. I call it a success. I disassembled all of the exhaust system and used rustoluem BBQ paint on it except for the mufflers....reassembled it and after I get over this paralyzing cold virus [103.3 temp] I'll be back on it. Already missed a weeks work.
    Plans to bring the body home this Sunday were scrapped 'till I'm back on my feet. I can't post photos because my camera and my computer have decided they're not speaking to each other.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sick over here as well. You can text me photos and I’ll post them if you like

loudbang likes this.
  10. Finally getting well up in heah! Today, my son and I called our best burly buddies and snatched my 34 body home after cutting some lumber to length to keep the body about 4 inches above the frame so I can apply a coat of POR 15 to the bottom of the floor.
    34onframe3.jpg 34onframe.jpg

11. 8 of us lifted the body onto the 4X4s across the frame. DAMN! it's so GOOD to have the body back on the chassis!
    34onframe2.jpg

12. For my next trick I put the car up on stands and ramps in anticipation of the paint work on the bottom of the floor. That's when I ran outta gas and walked away....NASCAR race on TV right now... 34onframe1.jpg

13. Sweet!

loudbang likes this.
  14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice to have it in one piece again for the LAST time.

-Abone.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. Todd553

Todd553

Looking good Rocky!

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man o man!

loudbang likes this.
  17. Work, work work work work.....
    Next day:
    Work, work, work work
    Repeat.

Can't wait for my lil' brother to show up to help with all the detailing......it's his specialty.

18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocky take advantage of them brothers! I have 3 and my older brother does electrical stuff. Offered him a free vacation down here in the south over the winter and he wired my 31 roadster while he was here! He's retired and spent 2 months helping me out. It was very cool working with him.

19. Got this idea from a post on the HAMB. Masked my frame rails off with aluminum foil. I was gonna roll the car out, jack it up and put plastic down under the car...not necessarily in that order. I have a nice little detail gun to blow my POR15 on the inner rockers and bottom side of the floor.
    Wasn't feeling 100% today and needed to mow the grass. Took Mrs Rocky to see a Tuesday $5 movie also and the day was pretty much gutted by then. Tomorrow I work 1/2 day and doctor stuff 'till about 4:30...another blown day and then it's supposed to rain for a few days...sigh. 34framemasked.JPG

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Any progress is progress right? Nice bling frame Haha

chryslerfan55, brad2v, brEad and 2 others like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Out of general curiosity is there a reason you didn’t stand it up on the firewall somehow and paint the floor that way?

loudbang likes this.
  22. Yes, Tim....
    1...I only had the use of the muscle crew for a few hours one morning...
    2....had no way to stabilize the body perched on it's uneven firewall.
    The way I'm doing it I can take my time and not be rushed or crushed.
    Hopefully I can get the dirty deed done tomorrow morning before yet more Dr. Appts in the afternoon. It can dry all afternoon so it won't stank up my in-house garage. Mrs Rocky HATES when I paint!

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah you could spray paint a model car on my driveway and my wife would smell it in the kitchen so I know that gig.

I figured the wonky shaped firewall would be the culprit. Hope the dr’s are telling you more good than bad.

24. Ah shit! Today was the perfect day to do my painting but first thing the sink drain plugged up with water all over the basement floor...got it cleaned up in time for the plumber to arrive and he cleaned the main sewer line...told him it was the sink drain that's plugged but he knew better...he left and the washing machine spewed water all over the floor again. He's getting a nasty phone call tomorrow.......then more doctor appointments till after 5 pm...no time to play with my car today, I work tomorrow and it's supposed to be rainy/stormy this weekend. Damn! Maybe next week.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sympathize with your situation @Rocky...never a dull moment. With cruising weather upon us it amplifies the desire...do what ya gotta do. Plumbing problems especially suck. Good luck with the plumber problem and the plumbing problem.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. maybe pour some more molasses in?

Corn Fed, loudbang, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  27. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Oh boy!! Rocky's big adventure episode 2. I can't wait.:D

28. loudbang

loudbang

Use some high pressure air on the clog. We need a new adventure LOL :)

29. Found a guy, Jeff at J-2 Motorsports who would weld up the unused coolant bypass in my late intake on early engine. He did a super job! He even bead blasted it for me...I scarfed up a new gasket set and installed it this afternoon. Slipped some chrome nut covers on for the photo too. I'll install them permanently after I'm all done assembling and testing my work.
    Perfect weather coming this weekend to paint the bottom of my floor. Can't wait!
    intakeweld.JPG engine5_18.JPG

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang that’s clean! What are the other options if you don’t weld it up? Is it dry or do you need to plug it somehow?

Can’t wait to see clips of you motoring down the street :)