Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Chassis is looking great!!!
    Have to agree with Paul though about the rear fenders.
    I personally havent seen a 30"s car with wider fenders that I can say I honestly liked !!!

2. jgrohio

jgrohio
    from NE Ohio

I have original fenders also we shall see not sure what I will end up doing with this car. I'm kind of winging it and seeing where it ends up. but have full set of fenders either way

3. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

mgtstumpy, Turbo57, Król and 7 others like this.
  4. Looking real nice , Love the nailhead .
    I have a nailhead for my 33 3 window
    Although not as pretty as yours !!!

Joseph Allen likes this.
  5. madmike3434

madmike3434

J Allen. I can see what looks like a power steering pump mounted on the front, judging by the aero-quip lines your running.

Question , why is one line running up to the intake area, is there a reservoir tank mounted there ??

Also who makes those valve covers and also the spark plug wire covers ?

mike lynch

6. looks to me like the line is not hooked up and is just laying on the intake.

7. what are you running for a transmission ? what year is your nailhead ?

8. 33 34 trunk lid for sale on ebay item number 382455485486

9. madmike3434

madmike3434

searched under 1933 Chevrolet trunk lid , 1934 Chevrolet trunk lid, 1933-1934 Chevrolet trunk lid.. Item #382455485486 does not come up. Can you post a link to it for somebody to find your item.

TIGERJONES has a 33 - 34 trunk lid rumble lid for sale on ebay USA

mike

10. That is the one by tiger jones

11. madmike3434

madmike3434

ah, I misinterpreted , I thought it was YOU selling the trunk lid, ah so, not so.

Never thought to look at the listing number. Funny I searched by that number and it came up showing tiger jones and went looking for yours .

mike lynch

12. madmike3434

madmike3434

And the adventure continues putting the tremec magnum 6 speed into a 35 chev standard chassis.

Shazzbott my 35 chev standard series roadster, will be getting a gm ZZ4 type motor or the ZZ383. Originally on the coupe I had planned to put a 6 speed stick into it in the 1996 re-build. Never happened got a 700 R4 instead.

Well we have just arrived at the crossroads, I have borrowed a plastic SBC motor, have fabricated motor mounts plates, marked where it goes, how high it should sit at the water pump center snout 12.5" in order to run a 6 blade rigid blade fan. They really draw air thru the rad..

Now I got a problem that looks like I will have to do something like Joe Allen did to his chassis X member. As you can see by the pictures, the tremec is not going to fit into the X member, its 5" away. Needs width to go inside. So going to be some major surgery done, question is exactly what, and how much. Have made some pie shaped cuts to front frame X member part drivers side, un-shown. That's not the answer. Before I make a complete cluster F out of it, am heading out to artists supply store for a big sheet of cardstock to begin fabricating mock up patterns.

Going to be some noggin scratching and staring so no more guesses.

mike lynch DSCF3564.JPG DSCF3565.JPG DSCF3566.JPG DSCF3569.JPG DSCF3570.JPG

13. madmike3434

madmike3434

went out and bought a sheet of cardstock 36 x 48 to make patterns for the metal that will be bent after the butchery to the X member I performed . If I want to run an auto no problem, but tremec 6 speed, let the surgery begin.

After a couple of miscalculations to the front drivers side front x frame section making wrong place wedge cuts , I was able to correct the problem. Now I go to the drivers side left rear x member section and cut a wedge heat the metal and bend it to match to front...........OH DAMN, major boo boo, this is not going to work. Why didn't I see this coming. The metal bent correctly but it was 2" inwards and in no way going to line up with the front, as I thought.

I sit down after a trip to tim hortons for fresh coffee and begin the thinking process. I come up with what I think will be the solution and proceed to make patterns for drivers and pass side. SAFE a save to my screw-up. Tomorrow off to metal mart to have them cut and bend two plates for me out of the matching frame metal thickness.

So here are a few pictures of the patterns and the new roominess for the transmission.

mike lynch DSCF3571.JPG DSCF3571.JPG DSCF3572.JPG DSCF3573.JPG DSCF3574.JPG

Turbo57, Six Ball, r2c1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Looks good Mike !!!

15. madmike3434

madmike3434

thanks Joe..........just got back from artists supply with another sheet of that yellow board and going to modify the pattern some, it actually tapers from 5" to 4 3/4" , so when I make the metal pieces, patterns will be 100% , so no screw ups........I HOPE.
    mike

jgrohio likes this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looking good, great technique. Not the butcher approach.

17. madmike3434

madmike3434

Well after waiting since Monday for the metal to be bent into a channel design U shape going from 5" at the front and tapering to 4 3/4 at the rear on 36 " long pieces. Said woul;d be ready Friday but dropped in today to remind them I need for friday as promised . Yup Mike, they are ready at 3 pm today, OKAY ! I measure the piece and its 4 3/4 tapering to 4 1/2..........DAMN ITS WRONG. I explain the measurements I gave them was INSIDE the channel so it can slip over the stock piece.

Anyway, boss man says come back tomorrow we will make U new ones. But take my card and give these a try and call to make sure will not work, he gets the call, nope .

In the mean time I got all this dead time to fill, so I proceed to buy another sheet of cardstock to see if I can improve what I have made before. Yup, I doood it, made a better design, much cleaner. The rear part now matches the front in width .

I grab the cowl and place back on frame, push the motor back some so the motor mounts line up with marks I made. Use a plumb bob and get motor dead center in frame at water pump, damn on a roll. Now start lining up the trans tail shaft to be center from frame to frame opening. Holy crap Batman we are on a roll and getting stuff done.
    Dig a new intake out of the box and place on motor to check level, right on 0 degrees across and 0 degrees front to back. BUT, looking at trans its not level across using the shifter housing area , out 3-4 degrees says level , I can see it. Oh here we go the old head scratch, I go thru all the levels and all perfect except the trans. I take a magnetic level and put it on the bottom of the transmission mount .

Well what the hell, its straight 0 degrees. But top side has that 3--4 degree tilt. I guess its supposed to be that way, will get in touch with quick time scatter shield people tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Feels good to be making progress. Getting good at making cardstock patterns too. Took a picture, see if it turned out and shows what I am talking about.

mike lynch

18. madmike3434

madmike3434

DSCF3575.JPG DSCF3576.JPG pictures of the trans tremec 6 speed and front cowl section. Not sure if the twist of the trans is visible or not.
    Its most noticeable when standing behind looking at the shifter.

mike

Turbo57, Six Ball and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Sorry everyone I haven’t been on here for awhile, I’ll try and answer some questions , IMG_9615.JPG IMG_9615.JPG IMG_9614.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Running my fuel lines now, yes I don’t have have a picture of my power steering reservoir right now but is all hooked up. I got my valve covers and valley cover and spark plug covers from Buick rodder ... great guy , he’s on the web, I did have to paint the black on valley cover and plug covers to match the valve covers !

31chevymike likes this.
  21. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

I’m sure there’s a lot of different opinions on these cars , I have decided to burn through all the layers of paint to create my own patina and then clear coat it, to seal in the history of the car! I may change my mind in the future, who knows ?

31chevymike likes this.
  22. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

Workin on steering and interior now,
    Ordered window glass from a company out of Oregon,, I’m excited to say I’m hoping to drive it by August, after 2 years of butt busting work! Then on to the next one

31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  23. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

That look great

24. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

IMG_9071.JPG this is the bracket I fabricated for mine, I can Un bolt and drop the 400 transmission with ease if I need to ..

25. madmike3434

madmike3434

I plan to design and construct something similar for the top and bottom of my frame. Also other additions to strengthen the X area.

mike lynch

Joseph Allen likes this.
  26. I just recieved my glass for my 34 pick up from
    Dustin at Auto Glassics in Oregon .
    Fast , well packed and all pieces fit.
    Nice polishing as well.
    Would recommend him and will use him again when ready for glass for my 33 3 window .
    AAA ++++

TFoch likes this.
  27. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

IMG_9629.JPG
    This is where I got mine, I guess all the good ones are in Oregon

28. Joseph Allen

Joseph Allen

That’s a long transmission setup, I thought my driveshaft was short ...

29. the better of Mallomikes two '33 splash aprons all fixed and painted. DSCF0004.JPG

mgtstumpy, TFoch, 31chevymike and 5 others like this.
  30. madmike3434

madmike3434

was going thru my computer files pictures today and ran across a tremec display of their T56 magnum picture. Well I guess I can stop worrying about the 3-4 degrees tilt to the trans.............their display one does it too with the quick time bell housing.