Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. decided to get the grill shell ready to chrome. chrome is not going to get any cheaper so i will invest the money now. to hell with the kids college fund. :D;):cool:
    i was able to get all the nuts and bolts out except one without breaking it. this hole is small but i was able to drill it out and get the 6-32 tap to clean out the threads. DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG

2. there was also a couple little dings in the shell, right where it gets chromed. i tapped out the dents and polished it up. next step will be sand blasting and fixing that bottom "chin" piece. DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG

3. Nice work. You're right about the price of chrome. Glad mine is done :cool:

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. Tom, i forget, who did yours?

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. Paul's Chrome. Very happy with their work and service.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you picked out a wall in the house to hang the newly chromed grille on, or will it get its own room? :confused: Bob

ct1932ford, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  7. i plan to add an addition to display the goods......

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and TFoch like this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’d hang that thing in the master suite above where I slumber to class up the space.
    The wall not the ceiling that would be tacky

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. It would make a cool door to Tater's dog house, if he had a dog house.:p

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

“Screen” door?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd and ct1932ford like this.
  11. after blasting the lower piece was pretty rotted, had a bunch of holes. welded them up with it screwed to the other grill insert i had that was nice and straight. then took it off to "polish" it up. not perfect but with the right chrome plater it will look fine. DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0001.JPG

Król, cactus1, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  12. here's the back side DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG and also a photo of it fitted back together.

Król, nunattax, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Nice work! The more you do the less the bill will be from the plater.

14. that is what i was thinking. i guess i could just polish it right up.

cactus1 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. sanded, prepped and sealed the hood. then i painted the under side. DSCF0002.JPG

Turbo57, Stogy, Król and 6 others like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

that's a nice job

17. F&J

F&J

I went through all the same repairs to my hood top that came from a local junkyard that had a 32 rustbucket, but took it off when I was chasing those pesky radiator core leaks... It is never going back on, as I get tons more thumbs up, or raised fists, from other drivers going past me. I guess it must look more like a F'n HOT Rod!

This is the only pic I took a late Friday when I was just going to the local Dam to sit... I ended up on a 2 hour tour. Well, the University farm crew left that gate open again in one of their crop fields.. so just jump a curb and GO!
    100_3340.JPG
    Ted, I'd invite you out to the "right" side of Connecticut, but I'm not sure you'd put your "baby" through this...:confused:

If you do come out, leave the wifey home, as I do tend to stop to see my girlfriends. The last stop I made around 9:30 that night, was a local restaurant where I saw my "favorite" girlfriend's car in the lot where she works. I walk past the window and 4 waitresses are smiling and waving at me as I knocked on the window..... I get inside and my girlfriend's husband was there TOO! I ended up spending more time with him than her, so I think she might be mad at me now..:rolleyes:

I just can't win ya know? ... the younger waitresses were yakking about how much they like my Hotrod with the hood off, but if I had offered to take THEM out for a ride, she will get all jealous.....again!.. :oops:

Stogy, Król, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. i plan on coming out this year,..................... been known to jump a few curbs. IMG_20160331_160142.jpg

Stogy, Król, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  19. F&J

F&J

ha!...you got me back but good.. :) Those cows can do some serious damage as they sure do tend to rub on things..

What are the hills in the background? ..the Appalachian trail? Love me some scenic USA~!!

20170407_164942.jpg 20170726_194043.jpg
    .^^ Looking west or southwest?, from the southern part of my town

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Spray booth and Greenhouse? F&J at UCONN farm, this thread just took a hard left and is sliding around the turn.:eek: Bob [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  21. F&J

F&J

Calm down Bob, Ted just called me this morning and one thing he said was "Thanks for posting on his thread"

...oh. and we talked a long freaking time about a lot of stuff, like me wondering where the hell my car trailer is? I lent it out yesterday to a guy from Waterbury who bought a friends muscle car off of my lawn. Seemed like a nice guy, he had not spent too many years in jail so far.....maybe 5 years?...I'm serious! His girlfriend loved my pink and red kitchen that I am just finishing, too!

And thanks again Bob, for that original 1956 photo of a 34 LaSalle conv you sent to me. It is showing as the top-center photo in my avatar.. I just had a perfect copy made for the now 79 year old owner who still owns it! He should be getting it tomorrow out in Nevada. He was 16 in that pic, at Pebble Beach! in 1956! He bought the car for $11 in 1954 at a So Cal junkyard with paper route money.. They wanted $15, but that is all he and his brother (in the passenger seat)could scrape up. Weird thing is? I found lots of nice modern pics of 34 LaS converts on the web over the last year, and my FAVORITE one I saved was HIS car, taken at the Canadian Nationals in recent times! Got a first place there! He is now in the passenger seat, and that is his son driving it! No lie! Same car in the pic you found in western CT! One more tidbit on that car after that 56 pic was taken...his brother once had a 394 Olds engine in it for a long time, then it was finally put back to stock!
    yellow.jpg

22. that view is looking east/ south east. as the glaciers receded the valleys were formed by the water flowing south, which is why most ridges run north south. those hills are probably in southbury/woodbury.

with the 40° nights i have had the heat on in the barn to paint. i move them in to keep the soil temps up. i started them in the basement in seed trays, then moved them to the flats......just waiting for good weather.....

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for that LaSalle photo update F&J! That old saying "a picture is worth a 1,000 words" is really true. It is also fun to find stuff and know right away were it belongs, cool story, thanks! Bob

F&J and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. hood is painted!
    Frank, this is what i got done while we were on the phone.:);) DSCF0001.JPG

25. F&J

F&J

as you know on that phonecall, I "assumed" I was getting the run-around from Freddie that borrowed my trailer ...then just now at 7;40AM, he calls as I was reading this post, he says "I brought your trailer back last night at 8 or 9, not sure.." Right as he said that, I was just wandering aimlessly with the phone towards the back door window...I look out back, ...and there it is! I guess I fell asleep early last night and/or never heard him. LOL

My "white" friends would have called me an ass for letting "some black guy I barely know, borrow my car trailer", especially an ex-con...but Fred also said he is coming back here from 1.5 hours away where he lives, to help dig and pour the sonotube footings for my rooftop deck and spiral staircase!

Fred was born in BVI (British Virgin Islands), his 3rd cousin is the Governor there! And his Mom was originally from Jamaica and was a "#10 on the charts" singer back 93-94 when Tupac and Biggie were at #1. Freddie is better at it that those people were! No lie, he sang for a few of us that day he grabbed the trailer..going from reggae/Rude boy/Desmond Dekker and flowed back and forth with gangsta style rap about Jamaican hard life ..incredible vocals without any background music playing.

Sorry for the OT, but like I keep saying, I like history of all types, etc and.... "I meet a thousand people per month" :) ..(and none have stuck a knife in me yet!) LMAO

I did have the 32 out late yesterday, met more people(customers) at Coventry Motors where I picked up some Bug engine parts to build a motor for the owner there, who was my former boss at a VW dealership. Back in the early 70s, he fired me for being drunk and late getting back from lunch:eek:
    100_3271.JPG
    .. then went for gas, a 75? yr old woman chatted me up about "Is that your sweet car ?"...I tried hitting on her when I said "it has a nice soft seat from a 31 Cadillac V12", but she didn't ask for a ride:oops::(

Ok? :confused: o_O Bye LOL

26. F&J

F&J

Ted called tonight, he got whacked by a nasty T-storm and is offline and running on a generator....flip phone, so no hamb for him tonight. He said power company guys are trying to inspect high lines in neighbors farm pastures.... getting stuck. They said one main line on the high towers is out, looking to see if it is on the ground before they trip the breaker.

He said the storm center was more towards Central Ct, and I just was talking with my Sis in Wolcott, and she said it was like a tornado...she is more central than Ted or I am.

Well, I took a direct EF1 tornado hit at my place in 2013..and it got spooky here today on the eastern side of Ct.

Around Noon, I stopped in the city nearby at a pawn shop and got a great "brand new looking" Nikon camera today...the other one had a scratched up lens...so here are a few pics. The camera did over-brighten the very dark skies as the late day storm approached...it was dark enough that the power company street light in my lot came on, as well as my solar "trio of crystal globes"...also came on..
    DSCN0034.JPG
    Wind below is blowing hard on that bush to the left...oh and the PINK glow from my new kitchen...lol
    DSCN0035.JPG
    . DSCN0037.JPG

^^^ both doodlebugs are up at the top barn, the Star can be seen behind the big tree in the far left above..

last pic was the first pic I took as I left the pawn shop around noon or 1pm...I parked right across the street, got there just as a car left that spot...lucky me..
    DSCN0007.JPG

ct1932ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Frank, generator is running again............ IMG_1756.JPG

28. F&J

F&J

I've posted the pic before...this IS the 2013 EF1 right ON my place the moment this pic was taken 1.4 miles south of me at the driveway to Mansfield Drive-In theater, . I looked at maps and RT32 hooks to the left, so the tornado is right at or damn close on me! I was trying to hold the back door closed, the latch was broken..HarleyContracters 32 Highboy 5w was in the only bay that took a limb through the roof skin of my shop
    storrs+tornado_722.jpg

kidcampbell71, Paul B and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. Król

Król

Ted glad you got through the storm ok.

30. how was it over your way?