Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GMS Hot Rods in NZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Stokes, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Since last December I have been doing my own thing from home as GMS Hot Rods. Work has been steady and enjoyable

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A custom Model A themed dash all hand crafted for this Model A racer which I’ve done considerable work to the suspension and steering to handle better.
    [​IMG]

The shop is small but it works well two cars at a time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Justin’s roadster I did a stage one chassis for
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The start of the recreation of the Morrari - a NZ race car of the sixties which was a Morris Minor Lo Lite on a Ferrari GP chassis with a 327 Corvette engine
    [​IMG]

The restoration of the Road Hog will commence later in the year - an old Kiwi hot rod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for checking it out - I’ll post things that I’m working on here which maybe of interest

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

32SEDAN, Hnstray, GordonC and 19 others like this.
  2. Rckt98

Rckt98

Good luck with the new venture Greg, I hope it all goes well.
    Russell

Greg Stokes likes this.
  3. Thanks Russell much appreciated. I hope all is well.

39WILLZ likes this.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I could use a "T" shirt! Black, extra large if they shrink!

Greg Stokes likes this.
  5. I knew you were car building now, but seeing Road Hog in the line up was unexpected.
    That's huge, or it is to me. Good shit, I'll be nagging you for updates on that once you get started.
    There was talk of it being restored a few years back. Looks like you have more than enough to do for Winter. :cool:

LIFESTYLZ and Greg Stokes like this.
  6. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very impressive, good luck. :)

Greg Stokes likes this.
  7. More often than not, it’s the details of a car project which are as interesting as the end result. As we all know there are a plethora of details to any build but its craftsmanship and design which edges a project from being “oh that’s nice” to “wow – that’s really cool!” A beautiful TIG weld or funky Sheetmetal fabrication are just two examples of what we are talking about. Another example is metal swaging or bead rolling panel work and sheet metal. Often seen on race cars featuring aluminium door panels and flooring or custom projects with sheet metal floors and wheel tubs, bead rolling or metal swaging can be a real case of form and function.

Greg at GMS Hot Rods was fortunate to fabricate two aluminium hot rod interiors under the talented and watchful eye of Mike Roberts. For a first time attempt, we are pretty happy with the results but would also like to highlight there are so many ways to do any form of this work and like most things it all comes down to personal preference or taste. There are so many formers for doing any type of swaging you wish and in some case many formers are also custom made to suit a specific design.

One set of interior panels shown here are for the GMS Hot Rods ’32 Ford roadster which are a basic bead rolled design. This was based off the late Pete Dore roadster which this car was inspired by. The other set is a little more complex in the fact it has been designed to emulate rolled and pleated upholstery but in alloy! This is in Mark Stokes’ bare metal Model A roadster pickup and the “pleated” alloy panels are more than fitting for the raw flavour of the car. You will note that both driver kick panels had a teardrop or jelly bean shaped blister hammered into them for accelerator/foot clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TFoch, HEMI32, 26hotrod and 4 others like this.
  8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I wish you all the success in your new venture.

kidcampbell71 and Greg Stokes like this.
  9. Many thanks Lynn

10. Thanks for the feedback. Work won’t commence on this until later in the year as we are in parts collecting mode at the moment. But it’s gonna be fun for sure.

11. Inspired by the late Pete Dore, late Barry Lobeck, late Pete Chapouris, late Bob Bauder, Pete Eastwood, Dennis Kyle ‘32 Ford roadsters. It’s the placement of key components inspired by the roadsters of the greats before us combined with the study of stance and proportion which leaves us with an end result of simplistic, timeless traditionalism. Amen

Photo credit Nigel Watts

[​IMG]

12. It’s been a big thrash on a long project due out this Saturday. This resto rod Model A roadster has been a big job which for various reasons has gone on too long....

IMG_7064.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

The fat ends of a large SOCAL blister were used for distributor clearance on the otherwise stock firewall.

More later...

13. Resto - roadster - a 1928 Model A Ford roadster which the owner requested a real 60's Early Times car club (LA, California) theme. The project started a long time ago in private time of Greg's and due to circumstances of Greg's health and changes in his life along with different circumstances of the owner, the project got back on track this year, finished on GMS Hot Rods clock and was collected by its owner this past weekend. The request was for a seriously low vintage car themed Model A roadster. Using the original chassis as a foundation, Greg reworked the chassis in the GMS Hot Rods chassis jig with a substantial centre cross member, kicked up rear and a flattened Model A front crossmember. The front end consists of a Superbell dropped I-beam with Superbell disc brakes, Pete & Jakes four bars and a GMS transverse spring. Engine is an early 327 SB Chev and four speed Muncie with a Ford 9" on triangulated four bars and Carrera coil overs.

IMG_7154.jpg

The idea was to retain and accentuate the early 1928 Model A charm with the bumpers retained, GMS dropped headlamp bar, stock height windscreen, door handles and so on.

IMG_7155.jpg

The final stages of work at GMS Hot Rods included a full body steel out for seatbelt anchorages, and too strengthen the body up providing a foundation for the bench seat to be made. Burst proof latches were fitted utilising the original Model A exterior and interior door handles. A Limeworks Forty column and wheel were fitted to a GMS lowered column mount and sheet metal floors were fabricated replacing the plywood floors. The front floor is one piece with clearance for the Hurst shifter and Lokar handbrake.

IMG_7141.jpg

GMS Hot Rods is pretty proud of the end result which drives home the mission statement of Stance - Style - Quality. Its a good time to thank the owner for the opportunity for Greg to build one of the many cars rolling around inside his head.

32SEDAN, Rich B., HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  14. 32SEDAN, mgtstumpy, 26hotrod and 2 others like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sounds like your a busy guy. Are you still submitting things to the magazines?
    I dig your shirt artwork.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  16. Thanks yes it’s busy times. I still submit a bit of magazine stuff. A bit for NZ Hot Rod, some for Hot Rodding International and a couple of smaller titles here

26hotrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your roadster appears to have a little Gary Kessler thrown in too! Looks great. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  18. Thanks. Interesting you mention the Gary Kessler car. When I was a lot younger I was inspired by a yellow 32 Roadster built by the late Pete Dore here in New Zealand. He said it was the original Kessler car which inspired his build and then mine was inspired from Pete’s car shown below.

IMG_0011.jpg

Here’s another shot of mine

IMG_0690.jpg

HEMI32, mgtstumpy, 26hotrod and 3 others like this.
  19. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Congrats on your new endeavor! Looks like you are on the road to success, which is doing what you like and you will NEVER HAVE TO WORK A DAY IN YOUR LIFE. Have any 3xxx shirts? They look sharp.........

Greg Stokes likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Where would we be without inspiration!

[​IMG]

21. I love that roadster!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I have always admired your roadster even though I have a coupe. I can remove the top insert for an open car feeling. Now about your T shirts. Are they available and do you have any 3xxx sizes. The logo really looks sharp...

Greg Stokes likes this.
  23. Hi thanks for the compliment. Yes T shirts are available I am going to do another run so can order any size you want. Feel free to email me - address is at start of this thread

26hotrod likes this.
  24. GMS Hot Rods, North West Auckland is proud to announce they're an authorised dealer for Pete & Jake's Hot Rod Parts, an internationally recognised brand since 1974. "To use and retail Pete & Jake's hot rod parts and related products is very fitting for GMS Hot Rods", says Greg Stokes. "We believe in reliable, dependable, and good riding hot rods built to be driven and Pete & Jakes quality parts, components and chassis' have been proven on the road for 40 plus years". In fact the GMS Hot Rods 1932 Ford roadster recently reached 30,000 miles with Pete & Jakes products used in the suspension and also the quality splined shaft spoon throttle pedal.

Founded by the late Pete Chapouris and Jim "Jake" Jacobs in California, USA, Pete and Jakes Hot Rod Parts has been in Missouri since 1987 under the ownership of the Slover family. Pete & Jakes continues to stand at the fore front of the hot rod industry with a reputation for quality and innovation, leading the way and setting new standards. Catering to the Model A thru to 1948 Ford and some early Chevy, Pete & Jakes Hot Rod Parts provide the best bang for buck in terms of quality parts which work best for your hard earned dollar. "When it comes to building quality traditional themed hot rods, we stand by the use of quality Pete & Jakes products for their design and early style simplicity", says Greg.

For further information please contact Greg Stokes 021 955 459 or email [email protected]

IMG_8173.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Rich B. and HEMI32 like this.
  25. VonWegener

VonWegener

I want to know more about the ROAD HOG. That thing is 70s cool.

Greg Stokes likes this.
  26. Things have been busy at the shop. I had three cars to get ready for a big show this past weekend.

Tania’s coupe which I have been working on in conjunction with Alpine Panelbeaters

[​IMG]

Bobs boat tail racer I just installed a fully polished and chromed B engine

[​IMG]

Then Russell’s gasser I fitted the engine hood

[​IMG]

The show was great also

[​IMG]

32SEDAN, Rich B., waxhead and 2 others like this.
  27. T shirts are back in stock - PM me or visit our FB page thanks

[​IMG]

They feature Lance Sorchik art work

28. Been working on an original 34 chassis

5E3C6C9C-98BE-4A83-BB7E-DBB329B142FB.jpg

It uses a mix of SOCAL and P&J components.

Earlier in the week I had to shuffle cars around

IMG_9204.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.