Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The People Of Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 16, 2018.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, and frankly most car folk of any stripe. Always the "who fucked John" or "did you hear..." from some. I won't be as broad about the observation as you are except to extend it to drag strips, swap meets of all kind, and even the shows at the top of the scrotum pole like Pebble Beach and Amelia Island. At the same time the best people I've ever encountered are car people, again of near any stripe. Moments happen when the drama goes away and they're the most helpful human beings you'll ever meet.

You may indeed be in a unique orbit to see and hear more than most. In a way I'm sometimes glad that the hot rod edge of my world is so limited. One constant there is that good news travels at the speed of sound. Bad news travels at the speed of light. Egos, Ids, narcissism, season it with rapacity. Those internal flaws become exposed when our endeavors are above the norm. And that's it isn't it? Are the things we like here a cut above? Maybe so, maybe not, but they're certainly a tangible aside to simple transportation. Of course it's personal when somebody casts a negative about it, then it festers, then the memory is 10 times worse (or better) the more the story is told. And at the same time we couldn't excell without a small measure of ego and such to challenge ourselves. That challenge can manifest in relentless earning to afford it or an equally relentless investment of the required time to build it.

To be more positive about all this, I wouldn't trade a single hour of my life in cars for anything else, and likely it wouldn't matter if it was stamps or guns or Beanie Babies, the same negatives would apply. I think our negatives are shadowed heavily by our positives and I haven't seen that as much outside of "our" world. Hope you're feelin better.

chryslerfan55, Malcolm, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So well said.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I generally agree with your analysis. Another way to say it would be "people are messy" - all of us. No one is perfect and everyone has a bad day or ten. The problem is most people either don't get that or they're so selfish or self-focused that they are clueless. And that is usually where the drama ensues .

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. The world (and it's people) provide nothing but stimulus. We decide how we react to that stimulus. Our feelings and our reactions are our own. I strive to not give others control of my emotions. Sometimes I fail but I keep trying.
    Also, if we know this hobby is full of "Drama Queens and D-bags", and we know this fact well enough to pontificate about it, then how is it that everyone is so surprised/offended/pissed/etc. when we have a run-in with said drama queen or D-bag?

@Ryan... here is my favorite Zen parable:
    A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. At one point, they came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they could help her cross to the other side.
    The two monks glanced at one another because they had taken vows not to touch a woman.
    Then, without a word, the older monk picked up the woman, carried her across the river, placed her gently on the other side, and carried on his 
journey.
    The younger monk couldn’t believe what had just happened. After rejoining his companion, he was speechless, and an hour passed without a word between them.
    Two more hours passed, then three, finally the younger monk could contain himself any longer, and blurted out “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”
    The older monk looked at him and replied, “Brother, I set her down on the other side of the river, why are you still carrying her?”

5. I've found that people with big egos usually wind up tripping over them eventually.

trollst, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. jchav62

jchav62

Good reading there.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Stogy likes this.
  7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Ryan, Best and most purposesfull thread you've ever done in my opinion. Very helpful to the health of our hobby. Hope your personal health improves rapidly.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe Ryan highlighted two instances of Drama Queen elevation to full blown Movie Star and I do not believe it is most people. Most people know where and when to draw the line...I guess it's called civility.

I did say we are all in the glass house but when one errors in judgement there is hopefully a lesson learned in individual behavior.

I call it eating shoe and from my own experience I like to keep my shoes on my feet.

I still have filet of sole every once in a while...and I will use my membership here as an example. I still am a member. If I was eating shoe daily I would probably be a member of another club so to speak.

Most people here wear their shoes on their feet...yes theres drama, pomp and circumstance but most through learned experience and rules know where to draw the line.

Its a fine line too...many times here I have hesitation before pressing the post button...as its a privilege to be here and anywhere. One must respect the Board and the Membership.

I again, have been here a while...and seen many come and go. I miss many...some not so as some constantly cross the threshold of tolerance. Not an easy job for the board.

I thank them for it periodically.

Its really just a room in all the rooms we encounter in a day and good and thoughtful behavior is the best medicine as you may find yourself through your own ignorance facing a fella in a vehicle who has his own way of pacifying it.

As many here have said "a very deep conversation" and with hoodlums in the scope of Hotrodding we are in a club where we all have to contain the associated behavior.

It's a long road of unknowns and reality is always taking place good and bad.

0_20150926_135800.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. mgermca

mgermca

''....The more I did so, the more I realized that this guy was a passionate traditional hot rodder… just as passionate as I am… but he just thought differently than me. And maybe we are incompatible as buddies, but who am I to think I’m right and he’s wrong?.....''

Ryan, so the question that begs an answer......did you let him back on the HAMB? I dunno, might make his day...and yours.

I remember reading somewhere where the person wrote, 'You know when I was younger I used to worry about what people thought of me......and as I got older it became more that I was worried about what I thought about them.'

Get better soon,

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I haven't... I don't think in that instance you can put toothpaste back in the tube really... And, I'm pretty sure the person asked to be banned multiple times. It was a long time ago man. Water under the bridge. On my side at least... It would be presumptuous of me to even think that dude wanted back on.

The point of all of this though isn't to lay blame on me or anyone else really. It was a drugged up reminder (and I'm still on the pill btw, but I'm home now thanks to the best spine doctor in the country) that just because you or I think we are right, doesn't mean we are right. And all of the infighting amongst us is silly when looked upon from a higher altitude.

We all have something in common and it's better to focus on that than the shit we don't. It's easy to forget that... and I need reminded every now and then I guess... because I'm immature...

29bowtie, mctim64, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Awesome Ryan. Great post. Drugs can be an openers to deep consciousness expansion. Seriously. Look into Ram Dass if you get bored. He practices a combo of Buddhism and Hinduism. Very very powerful. He is one of my favorites. Our true spiritual nature is pure Peace and Joy. It’s our earthy self, or ego that can’t be trusted. I’m a long-time study of all major (and some not so major) spiritual paths.

The people of hot rodding have always fascinated me more than the cars. I experience their human spirit through the cars they left us. The material world is merely an illusion (yeah, even 32 coupes ). Remembering and recognizing our spiritual connection to the all that is, is where beauty is found in life.

Michael

P.S. Check out the book "The Four Agreements" sometime.

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  12. adam401

adam401

It a a funny thing getting older and wiser. Someone flips me off in front of my my wife my first instinct is to knock their fuckin teeth out. However, at this point in my life ( Ill be 41 in a couple weeks) I don't let other people dictate what moments will be defining moments in my life. Someone's being a dick, I react and now I'm paying the consequences. Fuck that. There's a time to stand your ground like when there s an actual physical threat to your family. Thankfully for most that's rarely the case. The rest of the time you let it go, let the moment pass and return to life as normal enjoying your family and the life you built for yourself.

13. raven

raven

That is a mature thing to say boss. Age and children do that to you. You are on a right path, my friend.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    r

chryslerfan55 and Special Ed like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

So True..........and I thought I had balls to post that "we create our own realty" here online... I figured everyone would think I am really toast. Yes, we create it, and anything we do is merely the expansion of the universe. So There.. :)

I was out with my 32 from 12;30 pm to 4;30-5 pm met 30 more people at least...then went back out just a quick trip to the liquor store for wine coolers...nope...made the rounds all over town..again...two hours or more...last stop at an eclectic 1800 huge home, the owner was finally there to talk over my rooftop deck with spiral staircase... Then a cute tall gal with a nice long skirt and thin top with spaghetti straps (insert tiger purr here) shows up..lol..Then he & she are harvesting some mushooms they grew in old pine logs, I got me some for supper...then I say to him, "what you smoking"...oh guanga , want some? Geez 2nd time in 5 days after a 40 year hiatus.. She got pretty high pretty quick.. :) ...Ok, Now time to cruise the university at dusk, boy the gals looked gooderer tonight for sum reason..

have fun, but act your age?...no...we see and think with the same eyes and brain as when we were teens...so have a ball. >>>We have no age, we are just "here".

chryslerfan55, BAD ROD and Stogy like this.
  15. I vaguely remember reading a thread by a former member who ignored a warning about how he was tired of moderators deleting a post and he re-posted it again and dared the Boss to ban him,I guess he shot his mouth off and got what he ask for. HRP

16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

F&J, I hear ya. I kept the Truth to myself for many years and somewhere along the way I shifted to ......as long as I know my intentions are pure, I’ll let it fly. :) It does get me in trouble as some things can be interpreted very different from my Loving intention (and I get my ass reamed). I’m grateful for those lessons. They say when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. I know things. I have many years of intensive study, great teachers (I have met and learned from Wayne Dyer, Depak Chopra, Ram Dass, Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, Don Miguel Ruiz and sons, Kristina Dass, Jack Kornfield, James Tyman, Mother Meera, etc....... Studied every sacred text I can get my hands on. It has all been Joy and led me to great deep understanding of Life.

Here are a few more random thoughts, would love hear your thoughts.

We share One Mind.
    We are connected with no separation.
    We choose our feelings.
    We are all powerful.
    We bring about what’s we think about.
    Nothing is impossible.
    Are bodies die (like all manifested matter)
    We never die.

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good luck with your recovery and thanks for the hamb. Best site on the old net:). I get what you are saying. I come here for the knowledge and questioned the fluff posts when I would prefer they shared their wisdom but this is a social avenue besides technical and that is okay too;) Get well .

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Give me some of those meds :):D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Good luck with your neck surgery Ryan and thank you for all you do for us. Family is first and all else is second. As I have grown older I have mellowed a lot and I think that the saying " If you died tomorrow is what your mad at now worth giving up any of the precious allotted time you have" is really an excellent thing to remember.

20. All the best with your body situation....hope it mends up well. I'm part of a pair of old buddies situation on my 1939 coupe....got it and the title from the guy that had owned and driven it through the 60's....some how they are at odds...and I'm a bad guy for buying it? Rode around in that blown 53 truck before the shit hit the fan on the 39 and even gave away a Merc flathead to o'Jerry before the shit's....hopefully one day it will be cleared up....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. I have a different experience in my corner of the hot rod world. Honest to god, I really don’t see much of that drama queen stuff at all. It would be most unwelcome. I know my little corner is pretty small though. Or maybe I just avoid people like that so I don’t see it. A luxury that you may not have.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ryan,

Pain is not good, but we can learn to cope with it as we move along in our older lives. Sorry for your dilemma. But some of those early hot rodders that were building names for themselves were also a “pain” in the neck. With my first Ford Sedan Delivery, it was no big deal to have a cool sedan delivery to just drive and have fun. It was inexpensive and luckily, not much broke down or made funny noises. I did have to pour reclaimed oil into the flathead for long trips. But , I told myself that $.15-.25 cents per gallon was worth the fun to be had in the sedan delivery.

I had no inclination of adding on custom stuff as this was my daily driver, surf mobile, and cruiser. If I wanted to race or step up a couple of notches, I drove my fast, 58 black Impala on dates and challenging cruises. Still, listening to others suggest what was the “right” part, custom item or look, did not bother me that much. Those two cars had their intended purposes and each played an important role in my teenage years, from high school, until real life came calling.

There were those that used their money and connections to make sure they had the “best” stuff for their cars. But, again, it did not matter to me/us, as we were the ones building, customizing, and racing our own cars the best way we could with our monetary limitations. Later on in our twenties, our second sedan delivery had a few more comfort accessories than the first daily driver back in high school. My wife had A/C as her first choice and I wanted a v8 for power. The rest we could do without worrying about what was the trend or not.

But, the pain in the neck was going to all of these hot rod events to watch and learn. I had the background, but wanted to see what others were doing to build their hot rods. It was like intruding on a private club with strict rules for entry and membership. If your car did not have…such and such, built their way, etc, somehow you were overlooked. Exclusivity was rampant in the shows, clubs, and hot rod outings. It did cause a little irritation, but the late 60’s society’s historic events overshadowed anything that was going on in the hot rod world.

Jnaki

For all of this time, we have been cruising along a parallel universe, reading, watching, and getting involved as much as we liked in the hot rod/drag racing worlds. It all boils down to individual tastes and styles. We are not all built the same, nor do we think the same things. We definitely do not have the same ideas of what is good, stylish, or a great design.

But, in the long run (and it has been a long run) enjoyment is the key to happiness in just about anything from family, hot rods, surfing lifestyle, and education… and, the granddaughter plays a major role in our happiness. No regrets… that is for sure.

Rest, take long naps, and find a safe way to vent without giving yourself a heart attack. Remember the old saying..."It will go away." We all heal, eventually, in more ways than one.

23. F&J

F&J

All that I dare add right now?, is that there are many different levels of conscious and subconscious. I my own case, once I found the way to let my subconscious take over my life, including what I blurt out, or actions "that now, just plain happen", life just gets better each day

yep.

chryslerfan55, BAD ROD and jnaki like this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad your spinal work was a success and may it last a long time.

Really a stand up observation on your part, the reference to someone wanting back on and what it might be like. Nothing immature about that. If we do what this thread is about, personally in a reflective way, one could say the drugged up portion has no merit. Its within and usually always exists. I can see it, I can see how flawed many of us are too but that's better as a fallen leaf in autumn than the roots of the tree. My 1st response had a lot of negativity in it, whether or not it was showing it did bring out how things can happen and change one's outlook for the worse. It actually made me think a little deeper, and there's some with whom I'll never defend or explain my angst about. Perhaps a measure of our membership might be surprised at those in my world, who they are, what they do, why their tree can be removed for all I care. And those things brought me back around to what I really think about this life and what it's done for me. Now this doesn't mean I'm forever warm and fuzzy. But a relaxing state of mind, regardless of how it happens (pain relief is good for that), can be a big help toward counting the positives and tossing the negatives.

I can honestly say that nobody I've ever had personal interactions with in this board has ever resulted in a negative. PMs, buys and sales, technical assists, just a chance meeting at events, all good. I can't say the same for other parts of the car world I'm in now or have been in the past. Says a li'l sumpthin there, yes?

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Special Ed like this.
  25. FA4AECA2-4576-465C-AD23-AA0B133A06FF.jpeg Good luck with the surgery.
    As a guy with lower back issues sciatica in both legs and bad hands a good doctor makes all the difference!
    Not to get long winded but for 4 years my first doc had me medicated to the hills 150 mg of oxycontin 600 mg of gabapentin 200 mg of lyrics daily plus about 10-20 mg of Percocet throughout the day when I “ needed it” my wife almost divorced me as I was a fucking dr prescribed junkie.

Found a new dr and it’s been 5 years of no medds chiropractor and exersise and an inversion table helps a lot. Still in pain everyday but I can cope.

Yes we are all assholes, but we have to live in society no matter what the setting or circumstances are. And it seems your doing a fine job at it.

Here’s to a speedy recovery :)

Marcia and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this is what Jeff meant . . . yes it is nice to fly high sometimes (and brother this thread is flying high!)

Reminds me of the Jesse Winchester song that Waylon sang:

We don't even know where we are
    They say that we're circling a star
    Well, I'll take their word, I don't know
    I'm dizzy so maybe that's so.

Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All this talk about maturity and growing up and... it’s still really important to remember that the essence of hot rodding is punk rock. Rebellion. Youth. Without any of that, cars lose their edge...

It’s a conundrum.

28. This is too much reading.:confused: I feel like I am back in ST. Mary's.:mad: I need pictures.:)
    I am going back to The HAMB:eek: Hot Rods To Hell!:cool: Yes I am over 70 yrs old, but 16 when in my hot rod.

Jeff Norwell and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Starting to feel like we are sitting around the communal campfire singing Koom-by-Yah.
    Next thing you know it will be s'mores being burnt.
    Get your best car buddy,hop in a hot rod and go stir some shit up.
    Find a nice roadhouse and knock back a few while laughing about the escapade.
    Just make sure whomever you pissed off aren't younger,tougher and following you.;)

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and ct1932ford like this.
  30. ^Good reminder. My inner teenager still knows this!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.