Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Firestone dirt track tires vs Firestone blackwalls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin49, May 16, 2018.

1. draggin49

draggin49

Had a question for those who have experience running both of these .
    I am currently running the Blackwall bias ply Firestones with the pie crust style outer tread on my 1932 Ford roadster . I daily drive the car frequently .I have never had a chance to run the dirt track style Firestone’s . I know they look completely different from one another , but my question is does one have better drivability than the other ? Or being that they are both bias play will there be little difference and mainly just difference in appearance ?

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Depends
    Originals are 2 ply.
    Coker repops are 4 ply.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mmm, pie crust.

05snopro440 likes this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

The tires you are referring to do not have the DOT ref on them, here in Wisconsin have heard stories of Sheriffs checking for that on traffic stops and issuing a citation. As a rule here they don't seem to harass Hot Rodders much, pretty much leave you alone unless you get their attention with stupidity, just thought I'd point this out in case you were not aware tires/DOT marking

5. My Firestone dirt track tires have DOT certification on them, and yes they ride and feel better than my Firestone Bias plys.

Mick

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Hmmmm I have pie crust on all my rods.
    Can someone chime in and tell us aren't "dirt track" tires for dirt? or are these now for street driving?

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

The older dirt track tires used to have a softer sidewall and softer compound to help them bite the dirt. Used to be a few guys that ran them around here on fast street cars. Worked out really well back in the day. A poor man's cheater street slick.

Vanness likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Depends on who you ask.
    When I ordered my original Firestone dirt track tires 20 years ago from Weisel Firestone in Pennsylvania I inquired what compounds were still available, he asked me what I was putting them on, when I told him they were for a street roadster (my avatar car), he said
    "I didn't hear you say that".
    Yes, Cokers' repops are DOT certified and four ply rated.

9. the-rodster

the-rodster

I've put a bunch of miles on both.

The dirt trackers are a softer rubber, ride nicer, and don't follow cracks nearly as bad.
    But, they don't last as long, and tend to cup.

10. 2935ford

2935ford

11. draggin49

draggin49

Thanks for all the input . I have a new set of wheels that I’m gonna clean up and paint so I will give the dirt track tires a try on them and hang on to my pie crust Firestone’s and have them as a spare set of wheels/tires.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Are you talking fronts, Backs or both?

13. draggin49

draggin49

My bad I’m talking about running dirt track tires on all 4 wheels of my roadster .

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool. They are pretty radically different tires front to back but I’ve heard nothing but good about running them on the street on a hotrod.

There’s quite a few threads on here about it, sure you’ll be happy with them

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

I agonized over this choice for several weeks, and then just said "WTF, I like the looks of the dirt trackers, I'll learn to live with the ride." I love 'em!

roadsters at cruise night.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Tim and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. I've daily driven dirt track front and regular firestones for awhile. My biggest complaint is the dirt track tires in front in the rain. Gotta be a little carefull in the corners.

Tim and draggin49 like this.
  17. draggin49

draggin49

Currently has 650x16 & 600x16 Firestone blackwalls . I will go larger in rear with the dirt track tires
    903942A0-3B7F-47C1-A985-3F130A3B89A1.jpeg

18. draggin49

draggin49

Looks great !!! They have such a unique tread pattern to them .