Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The People Of Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 16, 2018.

1. When my friend Terry Chapman was battling cancer, EVERYONE who knew him in the Pacific NW old car community rallied around him and his family. Donations and help poured in. Terry is,unfortunately, no longer with us.
    The point is, that we all have a common bond{old cars}and that we try and help each other out. Ryan, you're 100% correct, there are a few jerks out there. But, most folks are pretty damn cool. I watched the hotrod "family" pull together to support one of its own in times of crisis time and time again. I saw it with Terry, and we who have been around the board for a while, saw it with HAMB-ANDY. And many others too.
    We all have our opinions and perspectives. But, a bit of humility goes a long ways. The idea of "Who am I to say it's wrong?" if it works for the other guy and he loves his car or whatever, is still a good idea.
    I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful bunch of people, even though some of them leave a "bit to be desired".
    Heal up fast, heal up good, and do what the doc tells you to.

2. Hey Ryan. I wish you luck with your surgery and pain management, man. I have pain issues I'm dealing with too. Degeneration of disks in my neck and constant pain and numbness down my arms. Hurts like HELL and can't seem to ever get a good night's sleep because of it. Maybe I need a hotrod surgeon like Dr. Dan to go in and install some new bushings in those vertebrae.

I think some of the realizations you're having are wisdom that comes naturally with age and self-reflection, or maybe that's just how it is with me. I was thinking the other day, when I was a kid I liked to hunt and I remember my old man saying that he just didn't want to kill anything any more. I couldn't understand it at the time but now I feel the same way. I no longer want to be around drama or conflict and I don't want to kill anything. Do I see myself becoming a lot like my old man? Yeah, and it ain't all bad. I'm beginning to realize what is important and what's not.

Hot rodders being drama queens? Man, I don't know. Some maybe. I have to say that hot rodders as a whole seem to have an overall greater sense of honor, decency, and loyalty. Along with that goes a limited tolerance for those we perceive to not have these attributes. And that's okay with me. Hot rodders are my peeps, my brethren. Men's men who know how to do stuff with their hands and have uncommon skills and vanishing values. I think most try to stand up for what's right and try to do the decent thing. I respect that, even if we don't always see eye to eye.

Are there some real assholes out there? Yeah, but not a lot. I think most of the people I run across are basically good and are just trying to do the best they can with what they know. I try to hang with the good ones and walk away from the rest. Talking shit seems worthless . That being said, have I gotten sucked into pissing contests on the HAMB? Oh yes, yes I have, although not in a long time. In my defense, when a newbie (and a lady to boot) comes on here and calls our esteemed Beaner an impolite name for a homosexual (okay, she called him a faggot, in case you were wondering), well one cannot let that stand. We are, after all, hoodlums and sometimes hoodlum honor needs defending, not that Beaner couldn't defend his own self, of course. :)

Judgments? I hate it when people say "don't judge me." Why in hell would I not judge you? Without judgments there would be no discernment and to walk around with no discernment would be a sign of mental illness (I actually have a close friend who is somewhat "discernment" challenged, although he prefers to think of himself as a "positive thinker." A book on just his dating life alone would be an almost unbelievable read). Anyway, I think judgments can be good if we are conscious that we are making judgments and they may not be accurate or justified. Damn Ryan, I just read your post again and it sounds like this is what you were saying, only with fewer words. So consider this a long winded agreement.

Yup, this is the kind of shit you think about when you look in the mirror and realize this is all finite.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. NoSurf

NoSurf

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Great post Ryan, and don't apologize for it.

My work and my hobbies both attract "Type A" personalities. Some of us at work are almost "AAA":eek: and conflicts will surely arise. I struggle in both places with keeping my foot out of my mouth, but experience has helped... some. I am still human, and humans are flawed without exception. Gotta keep trying to learn, think, and reflect, as that is where wisdom is grown. I cling to a proverb about listening fast and speaking slow. It seems to help.

I feel your pain on altercations with family present. My weakness is grown men who make spectacle of themselves in front of my wife or family. I go straight into clock-cleaning mode. Fortunately, (and similar to your situation) my wife knows me well enough to put that calming touch on me at just the right moment. She keeps me out of more trouble than I care to admit.

Good luck on your surgery!

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan I think what is happening is you are maturing, quite nicely I might add. The shit that would have set me off 10 years ago no longer effects me the way it did back then either. I like to think as I age I am getting more mellow, which really was a self defense mechanism to prevent me from having a heart attack. Pain sucks no matter where it is in your body. Both of my knees are seriously arthritic and I am in pain and will be until they need to be replaced. Hardest drug I take is Aleve for them although the doc said he would give me something stronger if needed. Hang in there man! I hope your surgery goes well!

6. badvolvo

badvolvo

Right on and write on.
    Mellowed by age, humbled by my neck surgery.
    Good luck with recovery, throw the meds out as quickly as possible. Best advice I can give.

tractorguy, Bam.inc and Stogy like this.
  7. EarlyFordV8

EarlyFordV8
    from Dallas

Like you say we all love cool hot rods but we rub each other wrong occasionally.
    Life is not ever as smooth as we would like but we have to live it. Just carry on and don't let ego get in the way.
    Hope you recover quickly with little pain in the process.
    Guy in Dallas

33 woody.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a huge array of all things cool here...are there burps and farts...yes but you won't find a more diverse group of people with thoughts, shared experience and mileage in this period of the evolution of the lifestyle. Enjoy your time here it can be a little addictive as there is a lot going on and of course a comradery amongst the membership.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I avoid most people. I don't have any of these problems.

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

From your posts, Ryan, all should go well and you will back to the keyboard beating the keys to submission soon.

There is one, maybe more, thing I don't really get from your post,,, having someones 'back",,,
    What is the reason for helping out someone; start, build-up and somehow finish a; disagreement/fight to prove a point? My father taught me as a young man that it was far harder to walk away from a fight. This was from a Man that taught Judo at the Y, so he did also say to be ready to finish a fight that we did not start. So the person was a jerk and you did the best thing to swallow and let it go.

And being a Drama Queen(s),,,, I am a loner, mostly keep to myself and I keep most of my personal issues to myself. I do share my cancer stories to some to give them support and hope to live through a terrible disease, not as a cry for support and help. We all have to give up things to carry on with life, something happens and you have a new 'normal'. For me, cancer treatment took away my short term memory, which took away my ability to write and it sucks. But with my new 'normal' it is the past.
    So I look to each morning as the start of my new life,, I guess the old saying I used to make fun of was correct:
    Today is the First Day of The Rest of Your Life.
    Get well,,,,,,,,

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope you have a quick recovery Ryan.

fiftyv8, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Imagine the world we could live in if everyone approached every interaction they have this way.

fiftyv8, Special Ed and Stogy like this.
  13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Life is too short to be pissed all the time. My last wife was a victim of that and still is. Great message.

Get better man. Miller needs a trailer worker!

Saxman and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@typo having someones back may not and hopefully does not involve violence. I think its carrying on to support what one has left without resolution.

I think we love old cars and making them fast and know full well that no matter what, they stand out in a crowd and generate reaction. Engaging in talking about it we support how we like and live what is Hotrod /Custom/Race and one could refer to it as drama. I'm think Ryan was saying passionate in supporting what it is we're doing. When asked we share with passion...some less openly of course the what it is we are participating in. I don't consider myself a Drama Queen but I think I get what he's saying...why because if you want to talk about the Ole Hotrod it will be a while...:D

I hope what ails you is staying passive. May good health keep you active and happy as can be and good luck on the salt...;)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  15. John Starr

John Starr

“Severe spinal damage at zero miles per hour”

- caption on a poster at an orthopedic doctor’s office. It showed an X-ray of somebody sitting at a computer.

Take care of yourselves.

16. F&J

F&J

some soul bearing trend here lately. I had to make an apology here to the staff a few months ago, to try to explain that I had Lyme in my brain from May to late Dec last year...so it really wasn't the real me causing such screwed up, nasty posts.

I had Lyme 20 months before FINALLY getting treatment. The Medical profession, 3 different places, failed me, but went I was going over the edge with some erratic posts on an antique car site in June, someone had the staff there send the CT State Police to grab me for "imminent suicide" WTH? I spent 2.5 days in a medical hospital, they ran every machine they owned on me, they instantly knew I was NOT suicidal, but I kept asking about checking me out for Lyme...nope..they sent me to a mental health hospital for 8 days and the elder Physiatrist was the one who finally found the Lyme in me, but he/and I, never knew it was in my brain,.so they wanted me to stay drugged on downer "scripts" forever, which made me a zombie. Got out on July 3rd, ironic...just in time for Independence day, my discharge records said I will be receiving treatment for Lyme, but it never came. Finally with my brain just about cooked with dementia, I finally got a Lyme doctor to test me again, and treat me ...just in time, a week before Christmas.

now, my manic is darn near gone, without those evil drugs. Now?..I am super outgoing; I'd bet I meet 1000 people per month. Only one or two were assholes. However, I have met a memorable amount that do have "issues". We are not all supposed to be the same.

interesting comment about studying Buddhism, then saying not religion... Oh, I sure do get that. I know now, that life is not what my generation was led to believe. I study Alan Watts and Teal Swan on YT. "we create our own reality"

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Glad surgery went well dude.

Moderators could use a few of those happy pills…

Stogy, Sancho, Jeff Norwell and 3 others like this.
  18. Way back when I was a teenage pup, I worked with an old timer who had a saying whenever he heard about any fools and friction. He'd shake his head and say "People is people".
    I can't explain the sense of it but I felt the meaning.

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ryan.Great post.Wishing you the best for a speedy and complete recovery.
    Good luck.Gave fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shift Wizard, that old timer you worked for was a wise man. This happens to be true and is, in my opinion, the most profound post on this thread. Thank you for sharing this.

21. I worked with a guy who was universally liked by all who worked with him, which in construction is no mean feat. Asked for his 'secret', he replied 'Never miss an opportunity to shut up'.

Remember, if someone gets your goat, you're the one short a goat.... Knowing how to respectfully ignore is a great social skill.

apenglish64, Sancho, charleyw and 3 others like this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your last sentence above speaks volumes, and THAT is all I will say about that for fear of being reamed by the HAMB fuzz. LOL I surely hope the Firebug recovers at least enough to ride for 3 to 4 hours in his short wheel-based whatever. My wife and I are much older than Ryan and can only last 3 to 4 hours on our cruises in the Deuce before resting, hence the 3 to 4 hr. analogy. Bet of luck, Ryan, and don't push recovery time.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Bud, please continue the med-induced commentaries. They make a hell of a lot more sense than shit I read or see on major media. LOL. I would pat myself on the back (maybe gently) for bringing all of us hotrod freaks to a place we cherish. YOU DO MAN ! Get well, thoroughly !

29bowtie, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad you posted this, Ryan. I think it's good. And important.
    I'll just say...it's not easy sometimes. But you're a good man, Ryan. I know that 99 times out of 100 or better, you're gonna do the right thing...no matter if someone else isn't.
    Well wishes, Ryan! Hope you heal fast!

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel the saying "People is People" the old timer Shift was talking about was in reference to "People in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones" and they do. That people can be any one of us. Think before you speak, do or send always. Yes wise words indeed.

I have said on certain occasions to ones I trust to be very careful where you walk there is broken glass everywhere.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I once belonged to a unmoderated car newsgroup.The fights on there were legendary. Vicious,savage attacks.Often humorous to read if not involved.
    What did I learn from that group and how does it tie in to this subject?
    2 things.
    1) I learned to vent my anger or frustration about a person or what they posted by writing a long lengthy reply during which I would tear them up one side then the other.....then delete the whole response.Gets it out of my system.
    2)People is people.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uh yeah... those of you suggesting hot rodders aren’t drama queens don’t see the same stuff that I see. Hot rodders as a whole are drama queens of the highest order.... and if the history lessons I’ve been given are any indication, they always have been.

lurker mick, teach'm, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  28. get well soon.....

best confrontation scene ever.

29. Ha Ha! And probably always will be.