Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oops! Black Sealer under Red Topcoat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, May 15, 2018.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Don't know what I was thinking... sprayed a black sealer coat for a red topcoat. I know I should have gone grey, red, or white. So what will the effect of the black under red be? If it will make it darker should the topcoat be made a little light to offset this? Thanks in advance.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Try a spray out card and see.
    I bet it's darker.

da34guy and 56premiere like this.
  3. ask the supplier what the SS code for the primer for the color you choose is. if the paint isn't bought or sprayed yet, you have done no harm. just by the correct color sealer paint and use it as the first coat before spraying paint.

da34guy likes this.
  4. Solid red or metallic? Solid might be okay, metallic will likely be darker.
    Test spray as said above

5. hotrod1120

hotrod1120

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Black under red is an old 'trick'. Mostly done with paint (on body metal) it is sometimes done in other places.

My son has a '27 Track T, interior was tan, (Ugh!) he dyed it black, sanded it, and dyed it red. Beautiful 'Oxblood' now, looks like 1940s.

Shadow Creek and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

might depend what kind of paint you're putting over it....

olscrounger likes this.
  8. There's mistakes and there's happy accidents.
    Like the man said; spray out a test card. You may have a winner anyway and love it.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Darker. Made the same error on a 68 SS Chevelle. I thought the darker sealer would make chips less noticeable under code RR (re-sale red). The car matters because I painted the rear tail light extensions off the car and did not use the dark sealer on them, I used a grey sealer. When I bolted them back on the car, WOW, what a hideous difference it made. I ended up repainted the extensions to match the body.

That was B/C and Centari if memory serves.

10. belair

belair

red paint is a little translucent. it will probably be darker, but you might like it. Shoot some and find out!

11. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

The question is how transparent, if any at all, is the top coat.
    If the color is transparent it will be affected to some degree depending on number of coats.
    If not, spray the color to hiding. Use the checked hiding labels to confirm hiding. Done.
    Lesson learned.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I don't have the paint yet but it is going to solid, no metallic or anything else. My nephew will paint it in his booth and he'll get the paint. I presumed it would be darker. Maybe do the white sealer over the black before actual colour. I don't want to build it up too much though.

13. Ever seen a spray out card ??
    If your nephew has a booth then he's probably got them.
    Spray the card and see how the sealer color changes the final color.
    They have others with block checkers to test for full paint coverage too.
    image.jpeg

Shoot the sealer too early and you'll need to sand it and reshoot it anyways

saltflats and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep, well aware of the coverage/block checker cards. I'll ask if he has some spray out cards. The colour is going to be a beautiful Burgundy similar to a Jag "Regency Red". I just don't want it to come out too dark. Would mixing the paint formula a little lighter counteract the black sealer? Will have to wait for the spray out card. Than,s for all the replies.

15. That's way above my pay grade.

I can say for sure that messing with a expensive paint isn't cheap. Custom tint off the hip is an art. You can wind up with a totally different color. I know It's easier to darken than it is to lighten. Seems counterintuitive but making it darker is "subtractive" mixing vs making it lighter is additive mixing. IMG_1128.JPG

If I'm looking for a nice bright POP I'll use a white sealer. Lots of reds are formulated to be shot over a red sealer so the finished job comes out the as the sample.

This is a very unorthodox candy job,
    Resulting in "additive mixing" effect. It's pure black no cloudy mica.
    Shop light
    IMG_0014.JPG
    Halogen sun
    IMG_0012.JPG

I tried way too many damn red bases to get it. Here's just the base cleared.
    IMG_0771.JPG

I have some more of a motorcycle I did with 2012 Dodge furious fuchsia. Shot a test on white sealer and it was too pink. Shot it on black sealer and it was a fantastic raspberry. Super sharp on a chicks bike. The pics are in the cloud and it won't let me in.

belair and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Here are those pics.
    White sealer = bright pink.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Same color on black sealer = raspberry
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

17. safetythird

safetythird

I had the wrong sealer so just went with what I had for a rush job.

White sealer, red paint.

It came out So. Very. Pink.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Painting is a black art of equal parts voodoo, Druid practices, sorcery, and chance! Thanks again for all the replies!

19. to achieve the color, the formula was made to, some/most paints require the correct shade primer. reds usually don't cover well.
    i did a british racing green paint that i sprayed over a gray primer. 5 coats and the color never looked right, that is when i learned about the ss codes for paint. used ss7, which was black and what the color called for and the color was perfect on the first coat. no voodoo.............

20. That's how I feel about metal finishing. Lol

21. Ever get this one ,,,

Hey! How did you do that? Magic??

Oh no, I just read the directions.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

But real men don't read directions....

23. Only the ones that can do magic :p

24. twice, after reading the instructions for an ikea bookcase and after reading the karma sutra........

25. Just paint everything black:rolleyes:

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

A,lot of humour here on the HAMB but that is all-quality!

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Educate me... what is a "SS"?

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Anytime I have done gray / black primer spray outs 90% of the time the color does change but only noticeable when compared

I had a problem with cheaper alternatives like Omni not having good coverage on top of a gray primer it was almost like candy I had to keep adding coats till the fender blended rest of car

29. they use a the ss codes to denote the color of the primer. ss1 is white, ss7 is black. there are greys and reds in between and formulas for mixing them to get the desired shade. the can of grey posted, tells me it is a very light grey. 91pS60uD0OL._SY450_.jpg Unknown.jpeg