Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford bumper question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brian W, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Brian W

Brian W

I have a friend who has a 40 Ford coupe and he is trying to find a certain rear bumper. The stock passenger car bumpers have an extreme curve to them and he wants one that is flatter in the middle. We were over in Del Mar this past weekend and saw that most of the "flat" bumpers were on the back of the 40 Woody's. Is this a Woody specific bumper or a truck bumper? Any info or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

-Brian

2. i don't know about woodie bumpers , but sedan delivery rear bumpers have a lot less curve to them and are almost flat in the center... as far as i know, no one repo's them

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I bought a pair of bumpers for my 40 Ford coupe. Both from a plating shop ... they had been plated but not picked up ... I installed one and it was great ... I got the other one out and it was a little less curved ... but the bolt holes were in a different place .

4. Brian W

Brian W

Thanks guys for the info. I think Rock Valley has a Sedan Delivery bumper. May be I can check and see if they can tell me about the curve. Does any one else have any further info on this subject? And if anyone has a bumper with the "flat" center and maybe want to sell it please PM me. My buddy may want it if the price is right!

5. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

There are two styles of rear bumpers made for 1940's. The part number 01a-17757-a which fits all passenger cars and sedan delivery and a flatter version 01a-17757-b, which was the rear bumper on pickup trucks and woodie wagons. Installation of the flatter bumper will require the matching bumper braces as the bumper to brace mounting holes on the pickup bumper are in a different location than the common passenger car bumper.

I have a NOS pickup bumper but have sold it to Paul at American Parts in Tn., you could call him to see if he wants to sell it.

6. dick , are sure about the sedan delivery rear bumper? the one i built had one and it needed to be flat to fit the bumper irons. i believe with a normal curved bumper the bottom of the rear door would rub it

here is a picture..you can see how flat it is:

[​IMG]

either way , brian you should be able to find something with this info

7. Brian W

Brian W

That's perfect! Thanks again guys! The HAMB is the best!

36 3window that is a bitchin' delivery!

Thanks again for all the great advice!

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

1940/1941 Ford sedan delivery bumpers and brackets are different than the car brackets. The rear bumper is flat in the middle to allow access to the rear cargo area. To my knowledge no one makes them, but I will try Dave at Rock Valley as I am looking for one for my delivery. They are real difficult to locate. Here is a top view of the correct bumper.
    My file is too large so will try later.

9. Brian W

Brian W

The company I work for is a Rock Valley dealer, I did call and talk to Dave on Friday and he said that they have a stainless bumper for station Wagon, Delivery, and truck. He said there is a little difference in the curve. I just wanted to verify this with the vast knowledge here on the HAMB before gettin my buddy to drop $300 on one. If you can still get that top view for me, Pewsplace, that would be great. Thanks again for everyones help!

10. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Your right, I'm wrong for taking a short cut and just referred to the Green Ford parts book for part numbers but as I fully well know that book has a bunch of errors due to obsoleted parts. I owned a 40 delivery for a number of years so it's not like I shouldn't know it does have a flatter bumper.

I went back to my Ford book form 1944 to recheck numbers and this is what was printed. 01a -17775-a is a rear bumper for all 40 std and deluxe models except Woodie wagons and delivery.

It is a flatter bumper than the front 40 std bumper 01a-17750-a. I checked this on the gennie 40 std that I own. The front and rear bumpers have different curves, rear being flatter.

The parts book listed 01a-17775-b bumper assembly is for sedan delivery only and has it's own part numbered arms. According to book when out of stock to replace using the 01a-a bumper.

Now the the Woodie wagon lists a 01a-17775-c bumper bar and distinct rear bumper braces. However the book states that when out of stock to substitute the 01a- c bumper with the 01a -b bumper which when out of stock is substituted with the 01a-a bumper. So that gets us to the point that the flatter rear 1940 bumper could be used on all these cars .

The problem arises that the reproduction bumpers are sold front and rear the same which evidently is a mistake. With the flatter bar being marketed as a commercial bumper. Which when compared to the Ford parts book says that the 01-c pickup bumper is out of stock to user the 01a- b bumper bar. Now to add additional confusion in the parts manual, the front bumper on a 40 deluxe is the rear bumper number.

Now all this is really confusing as it would mean the flatter 40 rear bumper could be used for all models since they are basically the same.. The V8 club judging book does not deal with bumper design.

So after all this I guess it means, if you are going to purchase a reproduction rear bumper and want one with out a large curve, purchase the pickup rear bumper.

My apologies for running on and on.

11. cruising51

cruising51

Bob Drake reproductions has all of the bumpers and braces you need, anmd can answer all questions.

12. Weasel

Weasel

I believe sedan delivery bumpers as fitted from the factory could be of either type but I am not sure whether they used common bumper brackets. The bumper brackets are unique to this model only - nothing from any other body style interchanges. The original Ford bumpers have a raised bead on the inside of the bumper. The Ford supplied 'service replacements' do not have this bead and I don't think the repro bumpers have this bead either.

13. good info , but it's a 4 year old thread

14. yblock292

yblock292

but, did the pickup bumpers have the ford scrip in the center?

15. I'm bringing this back from the dead because I too want to try to run the flatter sedan delivery/wagon bumper. I know this bumper is being reproduced now but I'm not sure which bumper brackets will work with this bumper (delivery) on the coupe. I know the stock coupe brackets won't work with the flatter (delivery) bumper. Will the delivery or wagon or pick up brackets work? Anyone know? Anyone........ Bueller.......

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Resurrection day.

Any flat 40 bumper users out there? Who repro's them?
    Need one for my pickup.

There was a thread on here about dearching one, but I gave up finding it.

17. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

This is a 40 PU rear bumper from Bob Drake, the bumper brace holes are different, I made my own braces. 36 at Steeltown Shakedown 2016.jpg

40FORDPU and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. After some research I was told that the sedan delivery rear bumper is different than the pick up bumper. I was also told that no one repop's the delivery bumper. I always assumed that the delivery bumper was flatter but at this point I really don't know. I ended up putting the 40 rear pick up bumper on the back of my 40 Deluxe coupe because I didn't want the large bow of the 40 Deluxe bumper. I used the 39 Deluxe brackets as they have the same hole spacing for the P/U bumper. After it is all said and done, I don't think anyone will notice the difference but me! :rolleyes::)

Here is the pick up bumper on my coupe. Sorry I didn't take any reference pictures with the stock bumper for comparison.
    [​IMG]

13516332_10209688846088668_8683959288000484433_n.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Scooterville like this.
  19. WTF really

WTF really

Does this look like a 40 delivery bumper? 20180516_190134.jpg 20180516_190119.jpg 20180516_190107.jpg 20180516_190050.jpg

20. redo32

redo32

'40 Merc with a couple of extra holes.

40 merc.jpg

Now that they are side by side, maybe not.

21. WTF really

WTF really

It looks like the merc is flatter. This one looks more cupped.

22. That’s a good idea. Makes it easier to access the hitch when you want to pull the trailer. My bumper is in the way so I pulled my bumpers to go to frog follies this year. IMG_8940.jpeg

Attached Files: