Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Should I knock on the door?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack68gts, May 15, 2018.

1. Jack68gts

Jack68gts

Hi, I've had my eye on this old hotrod for about 10 years, but havent had the guts to knock on the door. As the pic shows, its been sittin awhile, but i have stuff sittin too, and get annoyed when people constantly stop and ask if I'm selling, and if I'm not, they pester. I wasnt sure if it was just me being cranky and unwelcoming, or does anybody else feel like that too? I hate to be "that guy" doing the pickers stop and knock, or maybe say f it, and stop and ask. 20180515_104213.jpg 20180515_104213.jpg

2. Deuces

Deuces

Is it a model A????.... :)

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tell him your from the society for the prevention of cruelty to hot rods!

4. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

if you don't ,some one else will . so they get upset ,that only last for a while..

5. chargin03

chargin03

If I wanted it I would knock you will never know unless you do.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Pull the old "I've been driving by it for years, finally needed to stop in and ask you what it is".

49ratfink, brad2v, JasonLM and 8 others like this.
  7. Jack68gts

Jack68gts

I'm dying to lift that tarp

8. rtp

rtp

That is how I got my 48 olds .
    Ask politely ,listening to them if they want to tell the story. Be swift to pay and move it away, if you can work out a price.
    Don't degrade the car to them . if they want to much you can always say no ,but be cool about it. Don't leave in a way you can't go back. Leave your number .
    Shake hands and smile ,opens many doors ,and makes it easy to open again....
    But yes knock and ask ...

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. .... '32 Ford. You won't be the first to knock. You just need to be the first .... with more cash ... than the Bozos knocking before.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’d knock and have knocked before. That’s how I got my Super Maurader. If they didn’t want to sell it, they would put a” not for sale” sign on it. But like it has been said be polite. I keep all my goodies out of sight. Bones

11. Fordors

Fordors

The frame looks to be a ‘33 to me, the front shocks on those mounted inboard and the shaft passed through that hole in the frame. Quarter panel looks like a Model 40 too.

brad2v, 48fordnut, clem and 7 others like this.
  12. Jack68gts

Jack68gts

It's been there for years,,I'm hoping maybe the guy is gettin too old to bring it back up to speed, and ready to let it go

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  13. rtp

rtp

That's what happened with mine ,I asked about it he tell me the story. I listen. He tells me many people on list . but he says he will never got to it and seeing as I was there and was nice to listen to him. He gave me a good price ,I gave him what he asked way below his price for the last guy.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let them do it...:D...as your flappin dollars...

Either its rusted channel or its just plain really channeled and it looks to have a frame swap of sorts...Knock Knock Knock...;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

Man, you're killing me! Reversed rear rims and channeled to the dirt, there's gotta be a Good story there. Please share after you go by the Next time. If I was close by, I'd go with ya.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Some years back I had been driving by this little broke down house with a 55 Chevy 210 sitting out front, a couple of flat tires and a slightly bent front bumper but a pretty nice original car all in all, it looked like it hadn't been touched in years, I had the same reservations as you and finally sacked up and knocked on the door.
    Took the hermit looking guy a while to come to the door (I knocked twice), he did not seem pleased but I was commited to ask and he wasn't holding a shotgun so I asked, nope its not for sale he goes and closes the door, there I did it, but just couldn't take no for an answer so a few months later I was in the area again and went by for a look, damn, there leaning up against the bumper was a big sign that read "not for sale".
    I got the impression I wasn't the only one that had been asking.

chryslerfan55 and hfh like this.
  17. I agree, its a '33/'34 Ford. What's the worst that can happen? They say no and tell you to leave?

49ratfink, slv63, F&J and 2 others like this.
  18. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

For years in my teens, I drove by a model A coupe south of Nampa, Idaho. Always thought I should ask about it but never did. Finally one day, I told my dad about it, he said,"let's go look".So we loaded up in the pickup to go talk to the folks. We were about a mile from their place, when coming toward us on a flatbed trailer was that model A.

Go ask, you will never know until you do.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Jack, You have to go inquire.
    Otherwise you'll be the worm
    and someone else will be the early bird.

zzford likes this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inquire with a stack of $100's in your hand! There will be no shooting until they figure out how much you have!:D

21. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

For what must be 40 years, there was a Model A Roadster hot rod that we all knew about and I actually saw thru a garage window. Anybody that knocked on the door, someone inside would yell, "the car is not for sale". Last year I passed by the house and there was a for sale sign on the lawn. None of the local guys know what happened to the car. I would knock on the door, what's the worst that can happen. One day it will be gone and your going to regret not asking. Looks like a '33-'34 to me.

22. exterminator

exterminator

You must go and bring something with your name and phone number on it and if they are friendly and say it's not for sale ask if you could leave your name in case they change their mind. Be friendly most of all. It works for me!

kbgreen, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Ask. What's he going to do. He can kill you. But he can't eat you, I've heard. If you don't ask, post the picture on the "Sitting and Rotting" thread.

zzford likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Check the name on the mailbox, if it's not Donner you're good.

raven, Vanness and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. If you do knock step back quickly as that trailer may fall apart from the vibration.

Irish Mike likes this.
  26. Someday, someone else will own that car. But if you never get into the game, then you can guarantee it will not be you.

27. zzford

zzford

If you don't want to knock, pitch a rock through a window. When they come out, be huffing and puffing. Tell them you tried to chase the kid down but he got away. Then, "by the way is that old car for sale?"

LSGUN, 48fordnut, raven and 5 others like this.
  28. Latigo

Latigo

I've picked up several over the years just by knocking on the door and asking. Sometimes it's a "no" at first but as you talk and show a genuine interest in the car and the story behind it it gives the owner a chance to change their mind.
    Might make a new friend.

29. From the looks of the tires that car has sat longer than some of our members have be alive. HRP

lucky ink, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could knock and just ask to see it, I’ve done that before. “ hey don’t want to be a bother but I’ve been driving past for a while and I’m a hot rod guy and I just had to stop and ask if I could see under the tarp”

You make it about them, there stories about it etc. that way they know what kind of car guy you are and worse case you get to see it and some stories. Well worse case he says fuck off but if you don’t straight away ask to buy it your more likely to get somewhere.

I’d have hit the brakes so hard the first time I drove by it he’d be in his front yard seeing whT the commotion was before I got to his door to knock