Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jack Kukura Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, May 15, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Jack Kukura Roadster

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I do prefer the earlier version. If I owned it how could one feel right undoing all the work Jack did to improve the car to suit his needs/wants? I would probably leave as is or see if returning to how it last ran Bonneville was viable.

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm going to go with the Mercury engine version, but I'm kind of Amish in my approach to things ;)

FlatheadRods likes this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the hemi version of the car, but where is the shifter? Also those are some seriously tall head light stalks on the older version!

5. Beastly. Paint it black lacquer. Done.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome real old rod! I prefer the current Hemi version , myself. All she needs in my book is a clutch pedal , a Comp Plus; and a set of magnesium Americans.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

From the Fantasy Junction ad:
    [​IMG]

Tim, dwollam, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  8. Nobey

Nobey

I also like the earlier version, but would leave it as is. I noticed the absence of the shift lever too.
    A 200 M.P.H. ride in that car, must have been pretty hairy....

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I'd paint it, maybe something like the Tony LaMasa roadster, and drive the tar out of it.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thark thanks! Figured it was an automatic of some sort. Cool set up!

11. catdad49

catdad49

Chopped, Channeled, Hemi, History. Nuff said!

12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Thanx for sharing, Killer! Hemi for me..

13. Love it as is. As much as I like Flatheads I like the idea of a 200 mph street roadster. Don't think I have the balls to drive it as it sits that fast though. I don't blame him for not trying the return run after a spin.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Nobey like this.
  14. HEMI powered Deuces are "Belly-Button" Hot Rods! ... I'd restore it back to its circa 1947 configuration! :rolleyes: :D

Jack Kukura Roadster with flathead (1).jpg Jack Kukura Roadster with flathead (2).jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Very Biased but the Hemi version floats my boat..... Great post Jay.
    $385 in 1947 was a HUGE amount of cash!.... Love the neat fact (it looks) like the overflow tank is inside the car.... very cool car.
    roadster1.jpeg roadster3.jpeg

16. bbobster

bbobster
    from Oklahoma

The real question is: "What are they asking for it?"

17. For more photos, videos, information, & mis-information of/about the Jack Kukura Deuce Roadster, checkout @corndog's 200 MPH 32 Ford roadster w/ blown hemi "video" thread from November of 2014 ...

... more specifically, this "controversial" video:

... and the video & pics in Post #62 (by some clueless HAMBer with a HEMI-powered Deuce).

18. silverdome

silverdome

I too like the Hemi and am biased as such but I would like it to be a manual tranny. That "overflow" I believe is a brass fire extinguisher.

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Jeff, I believe you are mistaking the vintage fire extinguisher as an overflow tank, as they are used for now,,,

20. I wasn't afraid to click the "Fantasy Junction" link in @Jive-Bomber's Blog:

Fantasy Junction Website Ad.JPG

Stogy, mctim64, exterminator and 2 others like this.
  21. I see where Fantasy Junction got its name.

Tman, mctim64, Squablow and 1 other person like this.
  22. Fogger

Fogger

What a great historic hot rod! Pre and post war Bell, Calif was a hot bed of fast cars and innovative design. I bought my 1st Hurst shifter at Bell Auto in 1963.

23. Squablow

Squablow

I think I'd prefer the Mercury powered version but if I got it tomorrow there's no way I'd make any changes to the drivetrain, that's been in there since the 50's and really should never be swapped out at this point, plus it looks like a hell of an engine, and I dig the shifter, too.

I'd want to know if it ever wore paint, and if it did, I'd paint it to match, plus the orange frame rails and roll bar would drive me nuts. I would try to make all of the details historically accurate to the date when the engine was first built and then leave it alone. Really neat piece of history.

I wish I hadn't seen that asking price though. That really sucks a lot of the coolness out of this particular find.

FlatheadRods likes this.
  24. $59,500 for the car, $100,000 for the provenance.

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This fella and his Hotrod did amazing things, he lived to tell the story and enjoyed it till he couldn't anymore...It's kinda out of reach for most of us but it will live on in a collection and hopefully see some daylight...but it will never be desecrated...restored possibly but to a former glory if anything...it definitely is decorated with the past. It would be interesting to know if Jack set that price.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  26. @Stogy, Jack died in 2004-05. I don't know what Jack's estate got for it, but it was for sale for years by an east coast dealer. It sold at auction at Amelia Island 2015 for $151,800.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool old car. What I like most is that it's channeled. I like the Hemi, too, but unless you have XL arms, those dash mounted shift buttons look like a pain to use on if street driven. Gary

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jimmy...I watched Hemi's video and I guess it was the owner that was talking about with a pretty thorough knowledge of it. Then I saw the ad Hemi also put up making me think things where still up for grabs...wait tell me now the Fantasy thing is now right...as Jive says now for sale and his post was yesterday.

So it did indeed leave a big mark as you have eluded.

Man the internet and time get lost in space virtually messing with my head sometimes...a lot.

29. brady1929

brady1929

Sweet roadster

30. That’s a great car! You’d have to have a screw loose to put a Flathead back in it and I love flatheads! Stop the madness...

rod1 and kidcampbell71 like this.