Register now to get rid of these ads!

De-rusting of parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordcragar, Feb 24, 2006.

1. stimpy

stimpy

thats undiluted vinager at 5% , when it gets used up it freezes at 32 like water . freezeing doesn't affect quality of it it boils at 128* if the tank is metal get a magnetic block heater and put it on the side and plug it in . do not put a copper element heater in the tank as it will eat it up .

2. stimpy

stimpy

thats 30% electrolytic sulfuric acid , I would reccomend not doing this as you can get lead poisoning from the sponge lead ( which is a paste ) in the batteries as its dissolved in the acid..

3. big M

big M

When I find a car that has a severely rusted cooling system, I pour two gallons of vinegar along with water, and run the car for a few hours to cycle it through. After letting it set a few days, then flush the system, you'll be surprised at what comes out.

---John

4. Baking soda/water(1-2 tbs per gallon) is a good rinse.

5. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

This thread is very surprising to me because the hot technique for fake RUSTING of parts on the rat rod forums is - you guessed it - vinegar.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Giving me some ideas, I have an old spare sump pump that the float switch went out on, still runs with the switch wired open. I could hook it up to a hose with holes punched in it and circulate the vinegar over the quarter panels, just need a frame with plastic liner to catch the run off. Baking soda / water will neutralize the acid.

7. indyjps

indyjps

I would think you could build a second tank same size as the hood for water baking soda neutralize on the acid, compressed air to blow out all water. I double thin etch primer and run it down the insides of doors to seal the seams, you could do the same on a hood to get in between the layers. I've done the insides of doors with rustoleum primer and a brush as well, just have to sand off any run out of the seam holes to prevent reaction with auto primer

8. PushnFords

PushnFords

I've read about people mixing oxalic acid or vinegar with corn starch to form a paste that can be applied to body panels. Haven't tried it yet.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

A friend used some 2x4's and sheet plastic to make a tank to soak a hood in vinegar, it worked great and when he was finished he collected all of the vinegar for another project.

Neutralize the acid with soap and water, it works great.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

BTT, I am freshening up a 327 that had been in a boat, it had low hours since it had a full re-build. The rods have some surface rust, I don't want to press the pistons off, for fear of breaking the pistons. I wonder if soaked in vinegar, citrus, or some other solution would clean the rods, without doing damage to the pistons ? Thanks IMG_1572.JPG

11. atch

atch

Marty,

I don't know your answer but this will get the question back up where perhaps someone knowledgeable will see it.

Interesting scenario.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those look like aluminum pistons to me. I wouldn't trust aluminum in any kind of acid. This calls for Evaporust.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A fellow HAMB Member suggested Prep-N-Etch sold at Home Depot.

14. atch

atch

If you try it please report back.

15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Look up "reverse electrolysis" and do it. Simple, inexpensive, and it works!

16. rtp

rtp

Be careful with positions still on rods . de greased some Cadillac rods with acetone once ,pins froze in pistons had to break pistons to remove pins .acetone washed out oil on pins stuck them good.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Good call ! I got some Evaporust and scrubbed a rod with Scotchbright. It did the job with ease, now I will soak the piston area in some ZEP. Before final assembly, I will lubricate the wrist pin, and warm the rod and piston, allowing the lube to wick in. Thanks !