Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Car show question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rjones35, May 11, 2018.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

So did the little local show and it went well. There were a few "new" cars but there were no issues or attitudes from anyone. Jimmy Shine was there with a display for his shop as well. Nice guy, very personable. Didn't win anything but didn't expect to...... the '31 isn't a "trophy" kinda car. All in all a good day.

rjones35 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not that trophys mean jack to me but it seems these "family" type judged shows tend to favor cars with the most stuffed animals in them or matching model cars on the air cleaner.
    WTF is all that about!

rjones35, hrm2k and bobss396 like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

They are not rich, they don't own those cars, the bank does..

rjones35 likes this.
  4. Most shows happen on nice summer days... I'd rather be on the beach or home at the pool. Shows early or late in the season are ok. I just show up to spectate. I work with one trophy whore and he'll sit there for 8 hours to maybe take home a trinket. The music that people blast out of their cars kills me... not everyone wants to hear doo-wop all day.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Showing off new cars is nothing new. If it's an organized show
    it's up to the show sponsors or club to let folks know what cars are allowed.
    I, personally, don't mind the gold chainers bringing their new cars as it provides
    the opportunity to see high end new cars. Some of those cars are even leased,
    not owned.

rjones35 likes this.
  6. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only problem I see with the newer cars is the term HOT ROD being so abused. A 1969 Camaro ( or newer ) will never be a hot rod !!!!! A 40 ford with an LS motor and all the new trimming is not a hot rod.... a street rod but not a hot rod. There is never a reason to call a Corvette ( less than 40 years old ) or a Mustang a hot rod. And when a real hot rod shows up ( my old coupe for example ) the same jerks in the newer cars call it a rat rod...............I know I might be splitting hairs on this.

As for the DJ's at shows...........They totally suck !!!!!!! No talent to play records too loudly

Just remember, every time you hire a DJ, a little girls puppy dies

lothiandon1940, DdoubleD and pat59 like this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car shows are a mixed bag. Some shows are full of douche bags. Some shows have cars on bags. Some folks have grocery bags. Sometimes there's someone putting bottles and cans in bags. Some shows are easy to bag on. Some offer a grab bag with entry. Sometimes some old bag will give you grief.

Who's next?

X-cpe, 47ragtop and DdoubleD like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think this thread is ready to be "bagged".

lothiandon1940, 47ragtop and DdoubleD like this.
  9. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Drive your car ,forget shows. Maybe people have daddy issues and need approval so they wanna show their custom pt cruisers off.

rjones35 likes this.
  10. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

That chaps my ass as well.

hrm2k likes this.
  11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Chaps my ass when someone with a rusty old claptrap calls it a hot rod too.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and DaPeach like this.
  12. XXL__

XXL__

We have a monthly "cars and coffee" style get together monthly. Last weekend I did a quick walk-thru-- 47 (yes, 47!) S550 Mustangs in a row. It looked like a car dealership lot had been attacked by a Pep Boys truck. 15 Subaru Imprezas, also attacked by said truck... (there was a Brat and an SVX to ease the torture). I didn't count the airbrushed, scissor doored Chargers because it wasn't worth walking to that end of the lot.

Funny part was the 2 kids willing to shell out $80k each for a pair of Hellcats being ignored by the crowds when a kid willing to shell out $160k for a Demon showed up and pulled everyone away. As an engineer, I can appreciate the 'exercise of the absurd' in the Demon, but it really is an ugly car to look at.

I parked next to a 98% original '29 A. Only other interesting-to-me cars I saw... real registry Speedster, '67-8 Jag roadster, the previously mentioned Brat and SVX, and a lonely 308GTB and Testarossa (being ignored by a huge crowd of fanbois swarming the brand new-- paper tags and all-- 488 and 812... there's a brand new Ferrari dealer just across the highway from this event).

OK, it's back to old iron for me.

Oilguy and rjones35 like this.
  13. rjones35

rjones35

Wow!! That sounds like not my kind of thing. Sounds like a good turn out, people-wise though.

14. Gasolinefed

Gasolinefed
    from OR

Dreaming up your own car requires tallent And building it skill and dedication.. probably how it’s going to be for a number of local shows..

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. mike bowling

mike bowling

It' all relevant in the cosmos. I believe he may be referring to cars that are built with no cash consideration. MY "friend" says anything over 25-30. grand is too much, but he builds his own cars on a budget , does as much himself as he can, and fabricates lots of things. There's also the hot rod/ street rod argument - ac, radios, heaters, CD players, "ports" for all your electronic BS . The answer is there's no answer. It's up to the individual and how deep a hole you want to dig. I go to shows that primarily feature cars I like- pre 1940.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not many pre 1948 cars in our local shows anymore. It seems as if you could count them on one hand. More late model Corvettes then anything.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  17. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

In the car hobby there is no right or wrong. It doesn't stop at any year it just goes on. You do yours the way you like it & they do the same but different.

LAROKE likes this.
  18. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Took my 28 Roadster to a local show and a Ferrari F360 parked next to me. Guy was pissed when I got more looks than he did. Actually had the window sticker showing the fancy yellow prancing horse badge on the fender cost something like $3000. Oh well we both are car guys

Truck64 and rjones35 like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahahahaha...

saltflats likes this.
  20. rjones35

rjones35

This. "Gold Chainers"

mike bowling likes this.
  21. LAROKE

LAROKE

Went to a show a few years back in Deerfield Beach, Florida. It was one component of a multi-event weekend for the city. Day of the show started out with high wind, squalls and weather warnings but calmed down by mid-morning. At the event, it was just Eugene (the DJ and show organizer) and I. at the end of the day Deerslayer got a "Best Paint, Best Engine, Best of Show, Best Mustang, Best Corvette and People's Choice" award plaque for being the only vehicle in the car show. The irony is that it didn't rain on us and turned out to be a great day.

pat59 and rjones35 like this.
  22. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

People who are into cars today might never have been exposed to a hot rod. Maybe a show is the first time they wander past one, and their interest gets piqued.

Another thing -- the best part about having a unique old car is that you don't see another one at every stop light. Same thing at a show -- better if the hot rods are special, and not dime-a-dozen. Like old royalty.

23. John Starr

John Starr

I’m a big fan of passing the torch, by whatever means. If that means new cars at shows, I’ll get over it. Those new cars will be old cars soon enough.

That said, I also plan on telling my boy that he can have a new car after he learns to wrench on and drive my old one.

BigDogSS, rjones35 and driverquality like this.
  24. lake_harley

lake_harley

I went to my second car show today in many years with my "freshened" T roadster. I'd call it a '60's style build with a 215 Olds, satin black, very plain aluminum beadrolled interior, etc.. I built it from the ground up with the intent it would look like someone on a budget in the 60's built it.

When I registered, I requested "display only" designation on the windshield card. All was good until awards were being handed out when I heard my name getting a trophy for "rat rod". Just to get them to quit saying my name and "rat rod" together I went up, took the trophy and said, "Really? Rat Rod? I didn't even want it in judging." They mumbled something about there were no rat rod entries and I had a nice looking car so they wanted to give me something.

Perhaps I should be grateful for the "left-handed compliment", if that's what it was, but to associate my roadster with things that are built with farm implement parts, traffic signs, and yellow junk-yard markings on parts was an insult to the HOT ROD I thought I had built.

I'm 66, never really liked car shows as a participant, and today's show might just be my last. I'll stay home and work on my A coupe, or at most, maybe I'll drive the roadster but park just outside the confines of the show if I just feel like hanging out with other car people for an afternoon.

Lynn

Truck64 and rjones35 like this.
  25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is close to what I told each of my boys. I said: "You can have a car when you have earned enough money to pay for it?" A difference in philosophy, I suppose.

26. I always hated car show features in Rod & Custom mag when I started getting interested in cars in the early 60s. Took up a lot of mag space with bad B&W photos that could have been used for features on one or two of the cars. I never attended a car show, save the Western NSRA Street Rod Nationals here in Bakersfield where I enter my Willys, the Nostalgia drags at Famoso where I again take my Willys and the Grove parking area is as good as any car show, and Sonic Drive In on Friday nights. Then I got an invitation to show my Mysterion clone at the prestigious Classic Car Show at the LA Convention Center earlier this year. Was quite an honor, they put me on the Grand Avenue of invited cars. So I guess I still have never attended a real car show since my only experience has bee as an exhibitor!!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=34d22725a4432c6095b579d795296aa3&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...iew&id=2&vid=17eaf5115dbd1d6d6c2129095f94a1be

27. I'm sad I didn't go to the hot rod hill climb. But my wife is having surgery tomorrow and she wanted to go out, but wasn't up for a 2 hour drive. We went to a show for United Way at the local Bud Weiser brewery. I got placed right between a new charger and a lotus in the parking lot lol. Those guys commented how many people stopped to talk about the trailer but never talk to them. My wife loves seeing people's faces when she tells them we made it from scratch.

Bonus points for seeing a new local rockabilly band, we spent a nice afternoon together with frosty adult beverages and music.

Older pic from a different show,

Long story longer, I always "loose" to a few local trifive guys when we're at the same show. I always stop and chat with them. No big whoop, lovely day out and about. 20180825_114229.jpeg

Full Kustom drunk mobile posting

chevy57dude and rjones35 like this.
  28. 59Tele

59Tele

It's the modern equivalent of Port-A-Walls, rattle can primer and fuzzy dice. Just not as cool.